1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Okay, granted, video games should be more accessible to a wider audience, yes, that's incontrovertibly an issue. BUT, I wouldn't trust the government's involvement any further than I can throw a football.

Oh I'm sure it's an ulterior motive for someone, somewhere

DarthDub and Subtle Demise like this.
  2. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja Listening to a song ad nauseam

United Kingdom
    To some extent I'd agree that it's the good thing the government doesn't meddle with our games but when it comes to issues that can alienate other gamers I think it would be okay to implement laws to support those gamers.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ideally, it isn't. Though I'm sure there are ulterior motives.

MyconMama likes this.
  3. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Everyone is in an uproar and this is basically the digital equivalent of requiring building signs to be in braille as well ...

CrossOut likes this.
  4. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    Who’s them?

5. Subtle Demise

United States
    Those gamers should make themselves heard and the market will change to accomodate a wider customer base. Like I said before, it was already changing. "Color-blind mode" in the Battlefield games is one example I've seen. Many PC games allow extensive customization of the graphics and UI, not necessarily for handicapped gamers, but it does help them too. There are thrid-party and built-in programs for Windows, Mac, and Linix that can help with the communication barriers as well. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft should be the ones with this burden if anything, now that I mentioned it.

DarthDub and Chary like this.
  6. TheDarkGreninja

United Kingdom
    PC has always been the most accessible platform, I think it's more about making console gaming more accessible.

7. SG854

Comoros
    You’re mad. Consoles are more accessible then PC’s. Grandma owns a Wii but not a high tech gaming rig.

8. TheDarkGreninja

United Kingdom
    I mean PC is expensive, but once you're part of that ecosystem the sky is the limit when it comes to how you want to play.

9. Subtle Demise

United States
    Well then, like I said, it should be the big 3's reponsibility, and not the game devs/publishers' lol

10. SG854

Comoros
    The sky has an overly complicated limit.

Grandpa ain’t gunna learn the complicated technical settings to get things working. A Wii is just plug in play.

11. TheDarkGreninja

United Kingdom
    It's much easier for the government to make them aware that it's their responsibility rather than the consumer. Though, I guess we should be commending Microsoft for creating the adaptive controller without government intervention.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  12. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Advanced Maniac | Dev | Trans

United States
    As long as these things are not forced for normal users, that's no issue in my eyes. If anything, allowing it to be toggled just makes it easier for others with disabilities to enjoy the games they love. Although, this seems to only affect online based games with chat systems or games with heavy amounts of dialogue,

CrossOut likes this.
  13. Coto

Coto -

Chile
    Your grandma?

She may show signs of disability and I think I we shoudn´t be laughing our asses off because she can´t use a personal compuer. This is what the government wants somehow. More accessibility.

14. Subtle Demise

United States
    I still don't think it's the government's job. These accessibility features came about because of the free market and wanting to appeal to a broader audience. Gaming was well on its way too.

DarthDub likes this.
  15. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    You people are retardedly funny. All your panties in a bunch because of accessibility options that don't impact the game itself.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. SG854

Comoros
    Who’s laughing?

If it doesn’t impact the game itself then why implement it at all. It’s a waste of time.

17. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    If respecting basic human rights isn't profitable, companies won't care about them. assuming giving people what they want will always result in more profit is the worst kind of logical fallacy. businesses are amoral, and it is the work of government to ensure our rights, in a reasonable manner, are not restricted or violated by those more powerful.

in this case, it's making sure the minority of those who have certain disabilities are not excluded due to profit. accessibility should not be seen as a gift, but a requirement of thoughtful planning. I guarantee you software like unity will have assets that make this process easier. it won't be a huge deal to developers, just a bit more work, and will open themselves up to a wider audience.

and i love their old show...when it stuck to facts and logic. anytime they talked about business or taxes, they just use their own opinions instead of facts or logic. their taxes episode is completely full of bias, logical fallacies, and intentionally incomplete information. it was really painful to watch.

impact the game for you. but it could make the game playable for a huge audience.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    TotalInsanity4 and Coto like this.
  18. MyconMama

MyconMama Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I once saw a guy crawl entirely into his own asshole trying to convince folks colorblind modes on games were stealing content from non-colorblind gamers everywhere-- basically, if the devs spent even five minutes adding some code to make sure everyone was able to play, it was denying him five minutes of coding to develop new content he wanted. Some folks can have a real toxic attitude when something's not for them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    They may have to built these or at least some of these options into console settings, to make it easier on developers.
    They could still do this by default.

The phone app has to have accessibility options, I don't see this changing the way the phone app works overall.

Source?

Besides that, it is still making companies either change or pull their games, like DX2.

20. SG854

Comoros
    Why should devolopers care about opening to a wider disabled audience. There is no profit to be made.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - communication, disabilities, legislation