US legislation requires new games' communication aspects to be accessible to those with disabilities

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jan 3, 2019.

Front-page

The start of 2019 brings about a new change involving future video game releases. In 2010, a law called the Communications and Video Visibility Act was passed in the United States which required media to be accessible to those of varying or disabled capabilities. Since then, the Electronic Software Association, (ESA), has appealed for a waiver that allowed video games to be exempt from this law. However, as of 2019, the waiver has expired, and all video games with development cycles starting in 2019, or pre-existing games with major updates in 2019 must adhere to the CVAA, lest they be fined by the FCC.

Something to note, is that the CVAA does not force all games to cater or tailor their gameplay to those with disabilities, but instead it means that communications aspects within gaming must be accessible. Game chats will need to ensure certain things, with examples such as their in-game chat UI's being readable to those with eyesight issues, or that voice communication is easy to use if it's an option as an alternative to reading chatlogs, or gaming chats having a text-to-speech toggle. This law focuses on the social aspect of gaming, rather than gameplay.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (135 replies)
  1. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    Good. I have autism. Hopefully they can dumb down plot twists and reduce complex storytelling into black and white categories like pokemon.

2. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    For those who don't read the OP, put down the pitchforks. This relates only to communications. Not gameplay.

tldr: Game chats and voice chat need to be made easily accessible for everyone of varying traits. Gameplay is not held to this.

ELY_M, Tony_93, Scarlet and 14 others like this.
  3. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Nvm pls remove

4. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Oh god...

GotKrypto67 likes this.
  5. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    With all due respect, why not stick to games that fit your liking instead of trying to make all games be a certain way? There's tons of different games that appeal to tons of different people. Some of us like complex stories, why try to change that?

That would be like changing books to be in one category. It might make a small group happy but a larger group unhappy. Would you really want that?

Last edited Jan 3, 2019
  6. Reploid
    This message by Reploid has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Jan 3, 2019, Reason: Off-topic.
    Jan 3, 2019
  7. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Another Huxleyian Dystopia
    Hmmmmm....

Force in the guise of humanitarianism. When have I not seen this played out before?

8. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Ohnoes, online chat in games/chat apps will be forced to add accessibility options like Windows has had for decades. Surely this means facism imminent! /s

Tony_93, Orangy57, TyBlood13 and 9 others like this.
  9. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    so maybe game text will be larger? There is no reason why game text has to be font size 5. The text has not increased in size with the resolution

10. DKB

DKB I'll be watching you sleep tonight.

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    So, like, we have to be angry at disabled people? That's kinda fucked.

Kidding, of course.

11. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    And how are they going to make voice chat accessible to hearing impaired? Voice recognition? That won't end well.

12. leafeon34

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    dazindude likes this.
  13. smileyhead

smileyhead This is definitely not a robotic component!

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
  14. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    This basically adds options so more people can access such services with less effort. Why would anyone be upset about this? This is great news. Think more "adding closed captioning" and "universal design" and less...whatever it is making you angry.

15. leafeon34

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    It works pretty well on WeChat. I’m guessing most developers will buy some sort of voice recognition software library.

Last edited by leafeon34, Jan 3, 2019
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    I admit it's not as bad as that other thread stated leaving out such an important note as it being only for the communication aspect, but then again there are limits to what you can implement without making the chat functions stupidly complex... Best choice would be a special optional patch to enable functions for disabled people without affecting how the game works for everyone else.

17. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah I hate having to sit 2 metres away from my TV to read text despite having great eyesight. Honestly with this new regulation, I think we should be able to change the colours of both text and text boxes as well as adjust opacity, because small white text on a translucent grey or translucent black background is absolute hell to read.

18. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    I could appreciate a setting for people with certain disabilities or problems such as eyesight and whatnot (I've seen some games with colorblind mode) Seems nice and honestly unless I'm missing something not too big of a deal either

JSMastah likes this.
  19. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    I don't mind text in 99% of the games, but some games just take the piss with fonts, just look at the Total War games having fonts so tiny you can hardly read them even if you sit 5cm away from the screen and it's a crapton of text on top! An option to make fonts bigger wouldn't be a bad thing and some games already do that, which is pretty nice. If it's just additions like that here and there, I think it's fine.

osaka35 and LightyKD like this.
  20. JeepX87

JeepX87 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    It will be probably GBATEMP: Safe Space Edition

Also add in-game cheats to make easier for people with disabilities to beat the game.

Just kidding!!! :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Anyway, as Deaf gamer that relies on ASL to communicate, it would be interesting news, so it means they want to mandate on subtitles in all games.

gman666 likes this.