US-Japan Region lock on N64

TotallyNotHondan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey. So, I ordered a copy of the original doubustu no mori (Animal Crossing) on N64, ignoring the fact that I can't speak Japanese. That's besides the point, however. In my flurry to get the good deal I saw on Ebay, I didn't consider region-locking on the N64. Well, after doing a bit of research, as I had already payed for it, I discovered that the only region-locking done was the little plastic tabs at the bottom. I have a few broken games and a 3.8mm gamebit screwdriver, so I figured that I would be fine.

Cue arrival date.

So, I switch out the back of my precious JDM Animal Crossing for Nascar '99, plug it in, boot up the system, and...

Nothing.

I tried multiple resets, blowing on it, and a gentle Q-Tip as a last resort, and it still won't turn on. What I'm wondering is did I miss something in my region unlocking? Or am I just out of luck, it doesn't work, and I'm $20 down the hole, here. I've also tried loading it with a Gameshark.

TL;DR Bought Japanese version of N64 Animal Crossing, swapped back with USDM game to bypass region locking, doesn't load. Tried Gameshark, am I just out of luck?

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
N64 has no capability to distinguish Japanese or American games.
(Although 64DD will work on a US system, the original F-Zero X Expansion Kit requires the Japanese game)

If I recall correctly, the BIOS doesn't supply any error codes or messages either. An unhelpful black screen could mean anything.
  • defective game, or not inserted
  • defective console
  • defective jumper pak, or not inserted
  • NTSC/PAL lockout chip mismatch

Last edited by Lumstar,
Reactions: TotallyNotHondan

TotallyNotHondan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. After reading your post considering the possibility of a broken game, I did some cleaning with Isopropyl Alcohol and it works. Thanks so much.

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was the 'unofficial English version' a full translation?
I thought @Cuyler was ahead of the rest on this and he hasn't released a full translation yet.....or has he?
(waits excitedly)

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the 'unofficial English version' a full translation?
I thought @Cuyler was ahead of the rest on this and he hasn't released a full translation yet.....or has he?
(waits excitedly)
I believe that was only released for the GameCube, unless it's somehow been backported to the 64. I was referring to Zoinkity's translation (https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1581). I think it is complete, but I haven't personally finished the game to see for myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1