• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US experiences two more mass shootings in less than 24 hours; 8chan's founder calls for site closure

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 7,149
  • Replies 95
  • Likes 4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The first shooting occurred in a Wal-Mart located in El Paso, Texas, leaving 20 dead and at least 24 others injured in just six minutes before the police arrived. After it was revealed that the shooter posted an anti-immigrant manifesto on 8chan just prior to committing this act of terrorism, 8chan's founder called for the site to be shut down. This is the third shooter this year to post something similar on the site. While I certainly don't believe 8chan bears a majority of the responsibility, the unmoderated nature of the site does make it vulnerable to becoming part of a larger radicalization pipeline on the internet. There are separate conversations to be had about gun control and the rise of white supremacist terrorism in the US, and you're free to discuss those things here, but my thoughts are that the topic of 8chan might prove a bit less redundant.

The second shooting
occurred in an entertainment district of Dayton, Ohio, leaving 9 dead and 27 injured in a mere thirty seconds before a police officer shot and killed the perpetrator. The gunman had two drum magazines with at least 100 rounds of ammo, and he was wearing a ballistic vest, mask, and protective ear muffs. The gunman's sister was among those killed, and the motive behind this shooting is not yet clear.

In 216 days of 2019, the US has now seen 251 mass shootings. Seems like our thoughts and prayers have lost all effect, assuming they had any effect to begin with.

Last edited by Xzi,

total_n000000b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These terrorists have nothing good to do on their hands, yes terrorists.

Do not come with me bullshit about them being mentally sick! Because if a Black man or a Muslim were to commit it would be because of their race and not other mental problems or gang violence or Sharia agenda.

There clearly is a white nationalist movement going on because Trump gave them rise to the power. They have agendas, they want their way of life to be enforced. Their mentality is based upon that we are controlled by Jews and freedom from.that is mass shooting. These are clearly characteristics portrayed by terrorists.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can just hear the politics now. both sides rushing to gain politically.
A lot of good calling for small magazine sizes. Im sure he was not supposed to have a drum mag, but criminals dont follow the law. Restricting the mag size is not the answer. Getting rid if all guns wont help. The criminals will still have them.
The only answer i can come up with is nothing short of science fiction: Time travel/ The minority report. It seems we have to have knowledge of future events so stop it.
I sure wish i had a time machine. Id stop it.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
A lot of good calling for small magazine sizes. Im sure he was not supposed to have a drum mag, but criminals dont follow the law. Restricting the mag size is not the answer. Getting rid if all guns wont help. The criminals will still have them.
The only answer i can come up with is nothing short of science fiction: Time travel/ The minority report. It seems we have to have knowledge of future events so stop it.
What if you went back in time and they killed you instead?

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was truly saddening to wake up to this today. It is time for action now, not thoughts and prayers.

Reactions: Xzi

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this on the news today and it breaks my heart. There is no excuse for gross people like this. Say what you will about gun control, racism, political climate, or whatever social commentary presented by these events, it doesn't matter. This world is dark and is getting darker. I am ready for the end which I hope is sooner than later. I'm an optimistic guy but this is getting to be too much.

Last edited by DinohScene,

total_n000000b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least there should be some sort of identification system. Anyone who buys a gun or owns one should be on a registry. Mass purchase of bullets and or weaponry on that Identification can trigger shooter warning.

Gun should be equipped with RFID chips, and huge array of sensors should be added to the entrances of public places.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
A lot of good calling for small magazine sizes. Im sure he was not supposed to have a drum mag, but criminals dont follow the law.
So you're an anarchist, then? Why have any laws at all if criminals are going to ignore them?

The reality is that we don't create laws with the expectation that criminals are going to follow them. We create laws to catch criminals (hopefully preemptively, but usually in the act) and punish them accordingly. In this particular case, you'd at least have online and retail stores (who do follow the law) cease all sales of large magazines, making them that much less accessible. That's a start, but at a minimum, I also believe we need universal background checks and nationwide red flag laws. People with a history of mental health issues and/or a history of domestic violence cannot be trusted with the responsibility of gun ownership.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Deleted User

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
At least there should be some sort of identification system. Anyone who buys a gun or owns one should be on a registry. Mass purchase of bullets and or weaponry on that Identification can trigger shooter warning.

Gun should be equipped with RFID chips, and huge array of sensors should be added to the entrances of public places.
Counting ammunition would do nothing. Plenty of people shoot for sport. Are you going to throw all those people on a list to surveil? Gun identification sorta does exist, some states mandate it. That doesn't stop criminals from acquiring them.

As for the RFID and sensor arrays, I'd prefer the US to not become as big brother as China currently is. All paths are leading towards big brother surveillance state. We don't need to speed it up. We don't need police to pre-emptively prevent a crime every time they "think" it might happen. It's a huge waste of resources and leads down the slippery slope of thought policing.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic just disgusts me at this point. Some people think that the solution is thoughts and prayers.
Counting ammunition would do nothing. Plenty of people shoot for sport. Are you going to throw all those people on a list to surveil? Gun identification sorta does exist, some states mandate it. That doesn't stop criminals from acquiring them.

As for the RFID and sensor arrays, I'd prefer the US to not become as big brother as China currently is. All paths are leading towards big brother surveillance state. We don't need to speed it up. We don't need police to pre-emptively prevent a crime every time they "think" it might happen. It's a huge waste of resources and leads down the slippery slope of thought policing.

while i understand the sentiment, do you propose nothing be done? I really dont have any suggestions anyways. Nuance in this topic is nonexistent. people either want to have a batallion or no weapons. To be fair though the NRA poisoned this topic a long time ago.

Reactions: 6adget and Xzi

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Judging by your name you are from middle east or Indian subcontinent right? Mind you they are not heaven on Earth either.
I know in the end of any religion is dependent on the person believing or not. If you are built in bad no matter what I teach you, you are still bad.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know in the end of any religion is dependent on the person believing or not. If you are built in bad no matter what I teach you, you are still bad.

Religions are just clothes to wear actually.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think you completely missed the point

Religions are just clothes to wear actually.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This topic just disgusts me at this point. Some people think that the solution is just to

while i understand the sentiment, do you propose nothing be done? I really dont have any suggestions anyways. Nuance in this topic is nonexistent. people either want to have a batallion or no weapons. To be fair though the NRA poisoned this topic a long time ago.
I think some sanity measures should be in place. Like obviously no rocket launchers and artillery. Beyond that, gun control doesn't serve much purpose. Most of the gun crimes committed in the US are by small weapons. People are being led around like sheep about this issue because we have mass shootings which make up a grand minority of the criminal violence.

Instead of trying to control guns, it would be far more effective to solve the socioeconomic issues that cause the violence in the first place. If goods exist, there are ways to acquire them. As far as I'm concerned, a submachine gun is just as deadly as shrapnel grenades which can be made with off the shelf ingredients in just about any first world country. The problem the US has is the agenda of the media and the governments willful ignorance to solve the issues and instead ignore their constituents to line their own pockets with money.

These attacks are only going to continue to happen as the toxicity of politics ramps up and the game turns into a me vs you instead of us vs the problem.

total_n000000b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It does not stop them from acquiring but it does warn higher authorities! Like if you are to buy a bag of ammunition for no reason then you must be question. People who play sport should be supplied ammo by their shooting range.

I don't think it is very big brother esque to for the gun to have it's date of purchase, store of purchase and a warning signal that I am here.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think some sanity measures should be in place. Like obviously no rocket launchers and artillery. Beyond that, gun control doesn't serve much purpose. Most of the gun crimes committed in the US are by small weapons. People are being led around like sheep about this issue because we have mass shootings which make up a grand minority of the criminal violence.

Instead of trying to control guns, it would be far more effective to solve the socioeconomic issues that cause the violence in the first place. If goods exist, there are ways to acquire them. As far as I'm concerned, a submachine gun is just as deadly as shrapnel grenades which can be made with off the shelf ingredients in just about any first world country. The problem the US has is the agenda of the media and the governments willful ignorance to solve the issues and instead ignore their constituents to line their own pockets with money.

My only issue with this, is that you just advocated for the status quo. Which begs the question are you ok with the way things are.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My only issue with this, is that you just advocated for the status quo. Which begs the question are you ok with the way things are.
Because the status quo on actual control is fine. Gun control does not need to advance. Period. Full stop.

I'm advocating for the solution of the problem to the socioeconomics that cause these issues. You can point at a symptom and try to solve it all you want. Treating the symptom does not cure the disease. Anyone advocating that we need more gun control is ignoring the larger picture and focusing on one sector.

It does not stop them from acquiring but it does warn higher authorities! Like if you are to buy a bag of ammunition for no reason then you must be question. People who play sport should be supplied ammo by their shooting range.

I don't think it is very big brother esque to for the gun to have it's date of purchase, store of purchase and a warning signal that I am here.
Succinctly stated: "I fear the gun more than I fear the person." What's the next end game? Say we ban guns altogether. Do you think that will solve the violence problem? It doesn't. It simply pushes the people who would be prone to it to use other methods. My favorite guess as to what that would be are cars. They have the ability to be just as deadly and just about anyone can acquire one.

You don't solve violence by taking the tool away. You solve it by routing the reason it exists.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well other countries have done it and gun violence plumetted. I am not saying thats the solution here but it has worked.
as for whole socio economic problem... Some of the nuts that have done this seem to be pretty well off in comparison to other people in this country. We are gonna blame poverty for mass shootings now?

Reactions: Xzi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.