US congress repeal internet privacy laws

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
welp Trumps Cronies are at it again repealing more obama era laws this time it hits home on the net
now this doesn't deal with the DMCA it deals with US ISP's selling personal information with out the user's consent
"
Senate lawmakers voted Thursday to repeal a historic set of rules aimed at protecting consumers' online data from their own Internet providers, in a move that could make it easier for broadband companies to sell and share their customers' usage information for advertising purposes.

The rules, which prohibit providers from abusing the data they gather on their customers as they browse the Web on cellphones and computers, were approved last year over objections from Republicans who argued the regulations went too far.

U.S. senators voted 50 to 48 to approve a joint resolution from Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) that would prevent the Federal Communications Commission's privacy rules from going into effect. The resolution also would bar the FCC from ever enacting similar consumer protections. It now heads to the House."

That being said the US's future looks bleaker by the week I can only imagine if they strenthing the DMCA to remove the $250,000 fine cap for piracy and more jail time

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/03/senate-republicans-are-preparing-to-kill-internet-privacy

edit my mistake it only passed the house but with republicans controlling both house and senate i doubt it'll be blocked

Last edited by chrisrlink, , Reason: put in one word

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
welp Trumps Cronies are at it again repealing more obama era laws this time it hits home on the net
now this doesn't deal with the DMCA it deals with US ISP's selling personal information with out the user's consent
"
Senate lawmakers voted Thursday to repeal a historic set of rules aimed at protecting consumers' online data from their own Internet providers, in a move that could make it easier for broadband companies to sell and share their customers' usage information for advertising purposes.

The rules, which prohibit providers from abusing the data they gather on their customers as they browse the Web on cellphones and computers, were approved last year over objections from Republicans who argued the regulations went too far.

U.S. senators voted 50 to 48 to approve a joint resolution from Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) that would prevent the Federal Communications Commission's privacy rules from going into effect. The resolution also would bar the FCC from ever enacting similar consumer protections. It now heads to the House."

That being said the US's future looks bleaker by the week I can only imagine if they strenthing the DMCA to remove the $250,000 fine cap for piracy and more jail time

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/03/senate-republicans-are-preparing-to-kill-internet-privacy

edit my mistake it only passed the house but with republicans controlling both house and senate i doubt it'll be blocked
While I appreciate this and agree it's BS, this should probably go into General Offtopic rather than USN

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I see. Where is Trump involved in this? Leave your bias out of this. They've been discussing this for quite a while now.

Now we just wait and hope the house isn't retarded.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How this guy got voted in, is beyond me. I really doubt he will make it pass 4 years, he barely made it this time.

How can you have such a shitty opinion is beyond me.
How did you last 4 years of life?

That being said the US's future looks bleaker by the week
It looks better. One stupid repeal doesn't change what great things Trump has done and will do to the country.
And that stupid judge blocking his immigration ban was stupid. People should stop trying to take out a DEMOCRATICALLY elected president.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
How this guy got voted in, is beyond me. I really doubt he will make it pass 4 years, he barely made it this time.

Talking about the poor choice of the Senate. Wondering where it says Trump did this? Oh... Wait...

Reactions: Chary and Pacheko17

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, both of them shouldn't have even gotten that far, let alone be president. Rather he was actually involved with this or not, it seems like something he would do and be for.

Reactions: chartube12

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, both of them shouldn't have even gotten that far, let alone be president. Rather he was actually involved with this or not, it seems like something he would do.
How did you get this idea? I genuinely want to know. Personally, I think both candidates were trash. However, Trump was the lesser of the two. If he really wants to destroy our privacy and everything he promised to protect? You can bet he won't make it 4 years.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks better. One stupid repeal doesn't change what great things Trump has done and will do to the country.
What exactly HAS he done?...
And that stupid judge blocking his immigration ban was stupid. People should stop trying to take out a DEMOCRATICALLY elected president.
Yeah, that democratically elected leader that received over 1 million fewer votes than his opponent!

Also you DO realize that judges swear an oath to uphold the Constitution when presiding, right? They're not just there to serve sentences, they keep our government in check

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO with the dMCA if you read it allows internet providers to profit off of web sites you visit ect to advertisers meaning you'll see a lot more ads TOR/VPN is useless for this (unless you run it 24/7 on an always on conection

ZachGold

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"

User-data on a yard sale. man i need to land a job in one of those isp providers cuz i feel my neighbor may have a shy bladder. seriously, this is crap!

Reactions: Subtle Demise

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, what does that mean for the avarage internet user?

it shouldnt bother me since im not from the US but i tried to read it and i got lazy translating in the midle of the text...

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

They put him up against Hilary Clinton.
If Trump went up against a goat, the goat would've won.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean prior to this, we could've trusted what our ISP and other government agencies did with our data? Sorry, but this doesn't really change a damn thing, they were spying and gathering information before so called privacy laws were in place. And to the government watching everything we do, etc etc, I say, "screw off and I hope you read this". :creep:

Oh and before someone says the platitude, "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear", is so 1984 lol.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I shouldn't be surprised this went intro Trump stuff. I don't like the bozo, but this is specifically a Senate GOP caused thing. Fire up the VPN more I guess.

Time to start a VPN business.

NO THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO with the dMCA if you read it allows internet providers to profit off of web sites you visit ect to advertisers meaning you'll see a lot more ads TOR/VPN is useless for this (unless you run it 24/7 on an always on conection

VPNs are shit due to man in the middle issues. See https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/index.en.html#index21h2 which in short goes over the big issues with them.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.