US congress repeal internet privacy laws

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by chrisrlink, Mar 24, 2017.

1. chrisrlink
    OP

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    welp Trumps Cronies are at it again repealing more obama era laws this time it hits home on the net
    now this doesn't deal with the DMCA it deals with US ISP's selling personal information with out the user's consent
    "
    Senate lawmakers voted Thursday to repeal a historic set of rules aimed at protecting consumers' online data from their own Internet providers, in a move that could make it easier for broadband companies to sell and share their customers' usage information for advertising purposes.

The rules, which prohibit providers from abusing the data they gather on their customers as they browse the Web on cellphones and computers, were approved last year over objections from Republicans who argued the regulations went too far.

U.S. senators voted 50 to 48 to approve a joint resolution from Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) that would prevent the Federal Communications Commission's privacy rules from going into effect. The resolution also would bar the FCC from ever enacting similar consumer protections. It now heads to the House."

That being said the US's future looks bleaker by the week I can only imagine if they strenthing the DMCA to remove the $250,000 fine cap for piracy and more jail time

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/03/senate-republicans-are-preparing-to-kill-internet-privacy

edit my mistake it only passed the house but with republicans controlling both house and senate i doubt it'll be blocked

Last edited by chrisrlink, Mar 24, 2017 - Reason: put in one word

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    While I appreciate this and agree it's BS, this should probably go into General Offtopic rather than USN

3. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Oh, I see. Where is Trump involved in this? Leave your bias out of this. They've been discussing this for quite a while now.

Now we just wait and hope the house isn't retarded.

4. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    How this guy got voted in, is beyond me. I really doubt he will make it pass 4 years, he barely made it this time.

kehkou likes this.
  5. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    How can you have such a shitty opinion is beyond me.
    How did you last 4 years of life?

It looks better. One stupid repeal doesn't change what great things Trump has done and will do to the country.
    And that stupid judge blocking his immigration ban was stupid. People should stop trying to take out a DEMOCRATICALLY elected president.

6. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Talking about the poor choice of the Senate. Wondering where it says Trump did this? Oh... Wait...

Chary and Pacheko17 like this.
  7. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    It's pretty simple how he was voted in. He was the most voted for candidate :P but fr between him and hillary it makes perfect sense hes in now.

8. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Honestly, both of them shouldn't have even gotten that far, let alone be president. Rather he was actually involved with this or not, it seems like something he would do and be for.

chartube12 likes this.
  9. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    How did you get this idea? I genuinely want to know. Personally, I think both candidates were trash. However, Trump was the lesser of the two. If he really wants to destroy our privacy and everything he promised to protect? You can bet he won't make it 4 years.

RevPokemon and McWhiters9511 like this.
  10. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    im gonna try to enjoy trumps presidency. im sure itll be funny. no point stressing.

Memoir likes this.
  11. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Never trust your government. Even before this, as we know from Wikileaks, the government and other parties have been tracking our information. So this is no surprise at all, but just use Tor+Tails if you care.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  12. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I shouldn't be surprised this went intro Trump stuff. I don't like the bozo, but this is specifically a Senate GOP caused thing. Fire up the VPN more I guess.

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Europe will lick the US's arse for this and soon it'll be instated here as well...

Time to start a VPN business.

14. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    What exactly HAS he done?...
    Yeah, that democratically elected leader that received over 1 million fewer votes than his opponent!

Also you DO realize that judges swear an oath to uphold the Constitution when presiding, right? They're not just there to serve sentences, they keep our government in check

15. chrisrlink
    OP

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    NO THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO with the dMCA if you read it allows internet providers to profit off of web sites you visit ect to advertisers meaning you'll see a lot more ads TOR/VPN is useless for this (unless you run it 24/7 on an always on conection

16. ZachGold

ZachGold Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2017
    Canada

User-data on a yard sale. man i need to land a job in one of those isp providers cuz i feel my neighbor may have a shy bladder. seriously, this is crap!

17. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's official dragon look-alike axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    so, what does that mean for the avarage internet user?

it shouldnt bother me since im not from the US but i tried to read it and i got lazy translating in the midle of the text...

18. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    They put him up against Hilary Clinton.
    If Trump went up against a goat, the goat would've won.

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    You mean prior to this, we could've trusted what our ISP and other government agencies did with our data? Sorry, but this doesn't really change a damn thing, they were spying and gathering information before so called privacy laws were in place. And to the government watching everything we do, etc etc, I say, "screw off and I hope you read this". :creep:

Oh and before someone says the platitude, "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear", is so 1984 lol.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Mar 25, 2017
    Chary, vayanui8 and Subtle Demise like this.
  20. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    VPNs are shit due to man in the middle issues. See https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/index.en.html#index21h2 which in short goes over the big issues with them.