sf4.jpg

I have test US 3DS can Link play with JP 3DS

P.S.: Game is region locked

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We already knew there was cross-region play supported by title. Hell, SSF4 has the option there when you look for people to play against so it's obvious it can. Doesn't change the fact that the actual game carts are still region locked.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone determined if the Download Play option is also region locked?
Can a US 3DS download the demo version from a Japanese one?

Disizdream

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yesterday I tried the "3DS download play" with my USA 3DS and with a friend PAL 3DS, and no it doesn't work...
The "3DS download play" found nothing... no error message, nothing happens... just like when you put in another region cart.
Sadly it seems that the executable sent by download play is region locked just like the carts.

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Why in the hell did Nintendo have to introduce portable region locking anyway?

Surely one of the main benefits of portable consoles is that you can buy games whilst on vacation or stuck in a foreign airport and play them to pass the time, thus also generating profit for the company in question. It makes absolutely no sense for them to prevent that as a business.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BloodRose said:

Surely one of the main benefits of portable consoles is that you can buy games whilst on vacation or stuck in a foreign airport and play them to pass the time, thus also generating profit for the company in question. It makes absolutely no sense for them to prevent that as a business.
Actually, it makes perfect sense for them to prevent people buying games when they are out of their own country as different markets have different prices. For instance, with no region locking, people from Europe would to a greatly increased degree buy fucktons of games when in the US or Japan, and possibly also import from these countries, because games are a lot cheaper there. While I do share the view that region locking is lame as fuck, market regulation is the reason behind it on any system, portable or not.

It's unfortunate for us consumers that Nintendo implemented this shit for the 3DS, but it certainly does make perfect sense.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Mazor said:
BloodRose said:

Actually, it makes perfect sense for them to prevent people buying games when they are out of their own country as different markets have different prices. For instance, with no region locking, people from Europe would to a greatly increased degree buy fucktons of games when in the US or Japan, and possibly also import from these countries, because games are a lot cheaper there. While I do share the view that region locking is lame as fuck, market regulation is the reason behind it on any system, portable or not.

It's unfortunate for us consumers that Nintendo implemented this shit for the 3DS, but it certainly does make perfect sense.
Luckily it doesn't stop Aussies from importing from the UK
evil.gif

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Mazor said:
spiritofcat said:
Luckily it doesn't stop Aussies from importing from the UK
evil.gif
But unluckily the UK has shit prices (regardless of Australian prices being worse).

Actually, you will find that the UK has some of the best game prices in the world these days if you are willing to shop around. It is a very competitive market there which often makes games even cheaper in the UK than in the US, especially since sales tax is almost always included in the price there. UK RRP's are high but virtually no shopper in the UK pays RRP because the British supermarkets and online stores frequently go out of their way to undercut one another.

Australia and New Zealand pricing is terrible and game pricing in Canada is typically non-competitive and over-priced, as with most things in that country.

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Mazor said:
BloodRose said:

I have no idea where you get this information but it is mostly wrong. Games are not a lot cheaper in Japan, if anything they are mostly higher priced than in Western Europe especially as the Japanese pricing model is based on a system of charging what the retailers believe something is worth, where as in Europe and in particular, in Britain, the strategy is to price something at what the retailers think the customers will be willing to pay.

When I was last in Tokyo the newest mech title at that time (Another Century's R) for the PS3 was retail marked at around $75 and it was literally flying off the shelves almost everywhere and Ninokuni was priced even higher than that on average.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BloodRose said:
I have no idea where you get this information but it is mostly wrong.
I get this information from having lived in Europe for my entire life, having traveled to many of its countries and also having visited Japan twice, during which I spent almost every day of a month in Akihabara the second time.

BloodRose said:
Games are not a lot cheaper in Japan, if anything they are mostly higher priced than in Western Europe especially as the Japanese pricing model is based on a system of charging what the retailers believe something is worth, where as in Europe and in particular, in Britain, the strategy is to price something at what the retailers think the customers will be willing to pay.
While your analysis on what the pricing model is based is interesting and might be true (although, it would be nice to know what you are basing it on), I did not see a single relatively new game being sold for less in Japan than here in Europe.

QUOTE(BloodRose @ Apr 1 2011, 06:37 PM)
When I was last in Tokyo the newest mech title at that time (Another Century's R) for the PS3 was retail marked at around $75 and it was literally flying off the shelves almost everywhere and Ninokuni was priced even higher than that on average.
While I don't know where you saw this price as I saw brand new games going for a lot less (~$55USD at lowest, with prices varying a lot from shop to shop) , $75 is still cheaper than the price in major stores for brand new PS3 games here in Europe.

What you're saying about the UK interests me as I think it seems like something that could be true, but as I've never actually seen any good prices there (when visiting the country or checking online) could you tell me which shops have these cheap prices you are mentioning?

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Mazor said:
While your analysis on what the pricing model is based is interesting and might be true (although, it would be nice to know what you are basing it on), I did not see a single relatively new game being sold for less in Japan than here in Europe.

Not sure how to respond to this as it kind of proves my point.
smile.gif

QUOTE(Mazor @ Apr 1 2011, 07:04 PM) While I don't know where you saw this price as I saw brand new games going for a lot less (~$55USD at lowest, with prices varying a lot from shop to shop) , $75 is still cheaper than the price in major stores for brand new PS3 games here in Europe.

What you're saying about the UK interests me as I think it seems like something that could be true, but as I've never actually seen any good prices there (when visiting the country or checking online) could you tell me which shops have these cheap prices you are mentioning?

But not in the UK and that is what I am getting at since savvy shoppers in the UK can now get most new titles for around $50 or less. With regards to where from, there are lots of places but unfortunately they only really count if you are a UK resident since very few of them ship to Europe or internationally but if you are interested then maybe take a look at Tesco Entertainment, Asda Entertainment, The Hut, Shopto, Zavvi, BestBuy UK etc. It's a very high profile and competitive market and the list is, honestly, almost endless these days.

A good example is with Fifa and Call of Duty, the 2 biggest franchises in the UK these days, which are now normally priced at around $35-40 at launch from many of the supermarkets or online retailers as a way to get customers into the store or expand their registered online customer base.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BloodRose said:
Mazor said:

Not sure how to respond to this as it kind of proves my point.
smile.gif

You could for instance respond to it by telling what you are basing your analysis on, specifically why retailers in Japan don't base prices on what customers are willing to pay.

QUOTE(BloodRose @ Apr 1 2011, 08:51 PM)
But not in the UK and that is what I am getting at since savvy shoppers in the UK can now get most new titles for around $50 or less. With regards to where from, there are lots of places but unfortunately they only really count if you are a UK resident since very few of them ship to Europe or internationally but if you are interested then maybe take a look at Tesco Entertainment, Asda Entertainment, The Hut, Shopto, Zavvi, BestBuy UK etc. It's a very high profile and competitive market and the list is, honestly, almost endless these days.

A good example is with Fifa and Call of Duty, the 2 biggest franchises in the UK these days, which are now normally priced at around $35-40 at launch from many of the supermarkets or online retailers as a way to get customers into the store or expand their registered online customer base.
Thanks, I'll be sure to check those out the next time I'm in the country. Perhaps I'll have the same view on UK prices as you after that. $35-40 sounds unbelievably good when compared to the rest of Europe and amazon.co.uk, I guess I'll have to see it myself to believe it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Only $150 get it