*Urgent* Router Went Nuts!!!

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok gang, here's the deal:

Last night my roomie was doing some shit on Myspace and I decided to peek over his shoulder while I was passing through. He clicked on some link and was automatically greeted with the "Connection Failed" deal. He was immediately like WTF? and I came over and started shouting WTFZ?! too. It was very late and I didn't feel like poking around with everything so I decided to shut down the lappy and see if it would be working in the morning. I check this morning and my Internet connection is still down.

Here's my setup:

Wall Box (runs outside)
blank.gif
Laptop
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your router or wireless card broked!
I don't think that's the case here because the "Internet" light on the front of my router still lights up whenever I plug the Ethernet cable from the modem into it and turns off when I take it out. I'm pretty sure it can still pick up the Internet via the Ethernet cable, it just gets lost somewhere along the router settings...

My Card works as well, since it's picking up the Non-Internet-Active signal from the router plus it's Power and Activity/Link lights still light up as well...

frown.gif

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To technically sum it up, your wireless connection is working, but no internet access.

Well, I'd say consult your internet provider.

Oh and please configure WPA instead of WEP. You might as well use no encryption.

Edit:

I missed this

QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Aug 8 2007, 05:33 PM)]I'm pretty sure it can still pick up the Internet via the Ethernet cable, it just gets lost somewhere along the router settings...

CONFIRM it!

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, try with a different router/different PC. Can you wirelessly connect with anything?

Tried with a PSP and DS (both of which worked yesterday with wireless signal) and both fail the connection tests.

To technically sum it up, your wireless connection is working, but no internet access.

Well, I'd say consult your internet provider.

Oh and please configure WPA instead of WEP. You might as well use no encryption.
Yeah, ISP and Router Tech Support both know less than I do when it comes to wireless matters. I've contacted them numerous times in the past and they were no help at all. Perhaps I will give them a call when I get some free time on my hands, although it can't be my PPPOE settings since they work fine while hard-wiring.

Thanks for the WPA tip, I've been meaning to switch but it slipped my mind...
laugh.gif

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Aug 8 2007, 05:41 PM)]Yeah, ISP and Router Tech Support both know less than I do when it comes to wireless matters. I've contacted them numerous times in the past and they were no help at all. Perhaps I will give them a call when I get some free time on my hands, although it can't be my PPPOE settings since they work fine while hard-wiring.

Thanks for the WPA tip, I've been meaning to switch but it slipped my mind...Â
laugh.gif

I rather thought of calling your ISP because maybe they've really got a problem. But first confirm if you can connect to the internet if you're plugged in to your router directly.

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rather thought of calling your ISP because maybe they've really got a problem. But first confirm if you can connect to the internet if you're plugged in to your router directly.
I thought I confirmed I can connect to the Internet by hard-wiring my lappy to my Speedstream modem (provided by my ISP) and receiving an Internet connection? My Speedstream modem connects to a cable/modem box which runs outside to the alley where the phonelines are located so I don't think the ISP is having any problems in the area right now since I can still connect to the Internet.

EDIT: Wait, do you mean using TWO Ethernet cables? Have one run from back of Modem into "Internet port" on router and have the second one run from "Port 1" on the back of router into my lappy?

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't know how to help with your problem (
frown.gif
), but

QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Aug 8 2007, 05:41 PM)]Thanks for the WPA tip, I've been meaning to switch but it slipped my mind...Â
laugh.gif
If you plan to use your router with your DS, that's a big no-no.

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, tried that TWO Ethernet cables method and the Internet is not showing up as connected, wirelessly or hard-wired. Although, the router's "Internet" light DOES come on and it recognizes that an Ethernet cable IS connected... Weird...
frown.gif

EDIT: And thanks for that WPA-DS tip, Bowser!
laugh.gif

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So that sort of proves that your ISP connection is failing, if you did what I think you did
biggrin.gif

Hmpf, I thought about saying something about WPA and DS, but there you go. Keep in mind that using WEP is a very fake security though, and just for your DS that is a very lame reason.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Try changing your main IP adress in the router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1, it worked for me strangely. When my internet wasnt working I called verizon, they said it was Linksys's fault, I call linksys they say it's verizon, so I messed with it, nothing worked until I changed the 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1. Who knows it might work for you too :\

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Thanks, I'll try that right now

The reason I'm questioning the comments about it being a problem with my ISP is this: From my tests, what I've concluded is that my Internet service is still active, I can hard-wire myself to the Internet and post this to prove it. If it was a problem with my ISP, I wouldn't be able to access the Internet at all, right?

For some reason, everything leads back to the router for me...

unsure.gif

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm yes.

So having

Modem Router ethernet cable > laptop didn't work for internet?

And we know that you're internet is working, so it's not that. And we know it's not a specific wireless issue.

We can also general presume its not your computers hardware or network settings because you would have used two different parts of hardware for wired/wireless and if you can access your routers set up, that suggests its working.

That would leave either your pc software settings, which seems unlikely because you would have made a new connection for wired. or something random with your router. I vote for the later.

You should screen shot all your router settings.

kwerdenker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
do you set the ip's in your network yourself or do you use dhcp?
if you use dhcp: can you still access other computers in your local network?

i often had problems using dhcp together with wlan and so i switched to set the ip's manually. since then i never had problems with it again.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah same here [M]artin, my DSL worked but when connected to the router, nothing. Also try remembering most of the settings in your router and putting it in Factory Defaults, Then put the 192.168.2.1 thing and test, without a password or anything since it will be fast. If it works, then put a name and a password and your all set.

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally fixed it!

I simply reset both the modem AND the router (like 3 times in a row) and removed all wires. Apparently, all my settings WERE correct the whole time (the 192.168.1.2). The computer decided to delete a customized network connection I had already had on my computer for a while. I attempted to recreate it but I had done something wrong with that. The customized connection resurfaced a minute ago and allowed me to reconnect. Weird (plus a bit of my stupidity), but at least it's running again!

Thanks for all your help guys!!!
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)