udo4ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everyone, here is yet another "help I think I just bricked my Wii post"

Here are the facts:
1)I have a Wii LU64+ (can't install Bootmii as Boot2 only as IOS)

2) I followed the simplistic guide found on your forums at the following link http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901
Everything worked smooth.

3)I then tried to get Mplayer Ce to work but it couldn't load.

4)Since I have an original launch Wii in addition to this new Wii I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get Mplayer_ce to work on my new Wii.
I stupidly thought that I should simply do exactly what I would do with my older wii and update everything manually.

5) I installed Wiiscu and choose to update all ios with +trucha...

6) Now my Wii is bricked! I can't even access preloader!

So my question is, is there a solution to my brick or am I completely dust? Any help would be appreciated...

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
And the new WiiSCU can brick Wii's if you update IOS60 because it stubs it. You have no system menu IOS. Sorry.

At least I am fairly sure.

It should stub IOS60 because it gets the latest and its your system menu IOS. Got preloader by any chance??

udo4ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so this means that I am toast? Are there any options like a recovery disk or recovery mode I can get into?
I did install preloader actually. It was working fine. However, after using Wiiscu when I turn on my wii I get a black screen. I tried pressing reset at the same time as the power button but that does not help :-(

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah chances are you could use SaveMiiFrii if there is an autoboot disc that would get you up to 4.2U because you don't have IOS70. You would likely need a modchip if you don't have trucha enabled, I know nothing about it though so ask someone else, I have no experience with SaveMiiFrii.

Very sorry about your Wii, I think that SaveMiiFrii is your best option.

EDIT: (Ah, I learned there are no game discs yet for 4.2U so we might need to wait or send it into Nintendo).

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it is a stubbed IOS60 I don't think preloader would even work anyways as he mentioned it doesn't.

Yea that Wii's pretty screwed. Had you done that before the 4.2 update it probably would've been fine. Your problem doesn't have to do with it being an LU64+ Wii, it was WiiSCU having the IOS60 update update to the latest IOS60 which is now a stub IOS so installing that stub IOS while your system menu was running on it would have screwed you over either way.

WiiSCU really needs to be updated to have some sort of preventative check for that.

I believe the only possible option for that situation at this point besides sending it to Nintendo would be if you made a NAND backup with at least the IOS version of bootmii. Then you should be able to use a hardware NAND programmer like an Infectus to directly flash that back to your Wii's NAND.

So unless you have any idea what that involves, pretty much just send it to Nintendo and say it bricked while updating to 4.2.

Wack0

Trophies
XP
Country
nabster92 said:
WiiSCU really needs to be updated to have some sort of preventative check for that.

yeah, an update to WiiSCU is definitely on the cards ..
wink.gif

udo4ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for your reply guys! Although I bummed about this and a little embarrassed as I considerate myself wiihack literate I appreciate all your advice. I second the notion that WiiScu needs to be updated. If I got tricked then Joe the really newbie will most likely fall into this trap too.

One last question... If i do send it in to nintendo and tell them that it bricked when I updated to 4.2 will they be able to spot any cios and other stuff i installed on it? I heard that if they find this they will charge me for the repairs...

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
They shouldn't be able to but if they do, it will cost you 75 dollars but chances are they will not notice.

Anyway, your not hacking illiterate, its just if you don't know all the technical aspects and you use a program that had helped others but recently had an issue with it, its not your fault.

You likely know hacking well enough and its much more the programmers fault because he should have realized stubs do happen.

udo4ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
anyone can second that? Is GOdLiKe correct?

At GOdLiKe: I suppose you are right that is the risk you take when you modify your Wii. I just wanted to watch movies on my Wii. I wish Wii would have been able to play dvd movies *sigh*

udo4ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes for the dvdx stub, however, for some reason each time I would start Mplayer_ce it would get stuck on the Loading screen. I know that my usb drive is compatible since I used it in my older Wii model back at home. I just couldn't figure out why no matter how much I looked.

Edit: I did make sure I had it in the right USB plug the one on the bottom of the console... I also tried the other one but that didn't help.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got dvd movie playing to work by not using the dvdx install from the hackmii installer and just using Hermes' cIOS installer to install an IOS38 merged with IOS60 cIOS to IOS202.

KiiNG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've sent in 4 different Wiis (and dozens of other consoles,) each loaded with crap that Nintendo surely doesn't want to see.. never once an issue. Twice have I received Wiis in return that let me install to boot2.

Normally, usually.. ( ..always), Nintendo doesn't even get to see your Wii. They sub-contract the "tech" work to a 3rd party which does the normal rebirthing measures (nothing unique.) You pay Ninty, get a refurbished Wii, while the 3rd party gets a check. No repair (i.e.. seeing piracy on the Wii) = no check. Find someone who has been "caught" or wtf ever you call it, and I'll show you a liar. (Modchips are another story.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.