URGENT A/V cords question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by baffle-boy, Apr 14, 2010.

Apr 14, 2010

URGENT A/V cords question by baffle-boy at 12:22 AM (1,252 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. baffle-boy
    OP

Member baffle-boy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i need to plug the composite audio cords that come from my wii into speakers... but the only speakers i have have a female 3.5MM stereo jack. i think i can get a cord to convert the red/white composite audio cords to 3.5mm... but im not sure if it will work.THIS is the product im thinking of but will it work? i need to know ASAP!

i appreciate any help!

2. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I think it should work fine. There isn't any fancy conversion for these kinds of cables I believe. I have used it the other war around (stereo to 2x RCA) which works fine.

BTW, heres a smaller and cheaper adapter from DX which would also work http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2636

I think this one would be better because you don't have to worry about the quality of the cable, because I've had some dodgy experiences with them getting damaged (Of course, assuming your wii L/R audio is long enough).

You should also be able to get this adapter from local hardware/electronics stores also on the cheap.

3. baffle-boy
    OP

Member baffle-boy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    YAY DX HAS ONE!!! i tried checking there but the search function failed me... but will hte DX one work? it doesnt have any clear labelling as to where the red one goes vs where the white goes...

oh the comments complain about it but say it works fine anyways [​IMG] thanks a lot OSW! really saved me some money there!

4. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    No probs man.

Well, you could use trial and error to figure out L/R, otherwise I'm sure you could get a coloured elsewhere.

I'm sure the adapter would work, even both ways. These adapters don't do any fancy conversion I believe as 3.5mm plug are electronically compatible with RCA (they both have just L & R channels).

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    if this was so URGENT!!! then why didnt you just go to radio shack? you could have talked to a real person, gotten answers, and gotten the little $3 part you needed in under 10 minutes.

6. Pyrate02

Member Pyrate02 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hey guys:

I have a Dell Monitor with a composite input, which I used to connect my Wii to. However, I can't figure out how to connect sound - I tried that adapter mentioned above and plugged it into the headphone jack of the speakers, but no sound comes out.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. The speakers I am trying to connect to are also Dell, and are the type that are powered by the monitor and hang underneath the monitor.

Thanks...

7. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    what a way to bump a thread, but well you are (as you just told us) pluggin' the audio source from the Wii, into the headphones output of the speakers, and not into the input, that you should be doing...!! [​IMG]

8. Pyrate02

Member Pyrate02 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thanks - this speaker does not have an input that I can plug the adapter into - the wire is fixed. Also, from what I read online before, people said to plug the adapter into the headphone jack. Obviously that didn't work.

I will see if I can buy some kind of additional adapter/splitter. Otherwise, I might just buy new speakers.