Hacking Upscaling/screen scaling woes and ideas

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I think its funny that the quality of DS games on the 3DS really annoys some people. So its not a perfect visual representation of the game, who cares? The game mechanics are all still there and the games are no less fun than when you played them on the DS. Get over it, people are starving in the world, and you're gonna complain that a perfectly playable game isn't as sharp visually as it used to be?

I think it's mainly those that are too aquainted with emulators with their visual enhancements that are complaining about the way the 3DS handles it.

Reactions: 1 person

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think its funny that the quality of DS games on the 3DS really annoys some people. So its not a perfect visual representation of the game, who cares? The game mechanics are all still there and the games are no less fun than when you played them on the DS. Get over it, people are starving in the world, and you're gonna complain that a perfectly playable game isn't as sharp visually as it used to be?

Yeah you are right, there are more serious issues at hand, like people starving in the world and me beind unemployed for over six months now, so I guess I better get used to a crappy scaling !
Seriuosly though, you can't criticise people for demanding perfection, there are many of us who spend a fortune on high quality speakers or headphone sets in order to get a rich, noise free and well balanced sound, or invest in the latest TV technology ( or handled videogame systems ;) ) in order to get a superior experience, and having to put up with hardware limitations in this day and age seems quite silly.
But thanks for your opinion.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Yeah you are right, there are more serious issues at hand, like people starving in the world and me beind unemployed for over six months now, so I guess I better get used to a crappy scaling !
Seriuosly though, you can't criticise people for demanding perfection, there are many of us who spend a fortune on high quality speakers or headphone sets in order to get a rich, noise free and well balanced sound, or invest in the latest TV technology ( or handled videogame systems ;) ) in order to get a superior experience, and having to put up with hardware limitations in this day and age seems quite silly.

I thought the ability to play DS games on the 3DS was a bonus, not the main feature. Let's not forget that they went with an energy-efficient scaling method for a handheld than a robust and process-heavy scaling method for this bonus feature.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the ability to play DS games on the 3DS was a bonus, not the main feature. Let's not forget that they went with an energy-efficient scaling method for a handheld than a robust and process-heavy scaling method for this bonus feature.
I think 3DS playing NDS is/should be considered a standard. Its something that should be expected of the 3DS given that the 3DS is not only based off the DS concept, but still retains many of the same features. To call backwards compatibility a bonus feature rather than a standard feature is an insult IMO. With the exception of the Micro and DSi, backwards compatibility has been standard.
Gameboy Color plays Gameboy, Gamboy Advance plays Gameboy Color, Nintendo DS plays Gameboy Advance, 3DS plays NDS.
Any how, just saying that features "we expect" should be considered standard, not bonus.

Though I'm a little curious on how they plan on phasing out NDS compatibility in the future given that the NDS games are of the same size and shape as 3DS games. Its hard to imagine a slot that fits both NDS and 3DS games, but only plays 3DS.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though I'm a little curious on how they plan on phasing out NDS compatibility in the future given that the NDS games are of the same size and shape as 3DS games. Its hard to imagine a slot that fits both NDS and 3DS games, but only plays 3DS.
The connectors for the 3DS carts are longer, that might make a difference.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Alright, bonus may not have been the right word, but DS games are not a focus that require such attention to detail. The scaling can be better. It can always be better (as shown by the pics in this thread), but that comes at the cost of diminishing returns to other areas, like battery life.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country

The DS cannot play GB/GBC games, despite the fact that the cartridges can physically fit. Similarly, some future 3DS successor could allow DS cartridges to fit, but it doesn't mean that Nintendo will include the circuitry to play the games.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes you can, its super easy to and its incredibly reasonable to. I mean imagine living in China working for FoxConn, where you work for 30+ hour days for cents per hour putting together iphones and xboxs. And then look around the world, and people complain that their iphone doesn't work on the internet as fast as they want it to. Like really? If you showed someone an iphone 100 years ago, they would break down and cry, and yet you still have the audacity to complain that its not good enough for you?

I have a huge problem with people demanding perfection and not appreciating what they have. And keep in mind that the 3DS does not have to play DS games at all. Backwards compatibility is great but wasn't even utilized until the PS2 (and I suppose the GBA, I don't really consider the GBC as backwards compatible, as regular GB games are of the exact same quality just not in color), so its still a relatively new feature. I mean were you complaining that your N64 couldn't play your SNES and NES games? Cuz I sure as hell wasn't, in fact the idea never even came to mind because it never seemed like something that should logically happen, or needed to happen.

Kyranik

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Sega Genesis could play Master System games, the Atari 7800 could play 2600 games in 1986, and there was even an attachment sold for the Nintendo 64 and SNES that could play games of their predecessors. This is a concept that's nearly as old as home video game consoles themselves.

It's rather silly to start with the sudden comparisons to people's quality of life over a casual discussions about how well the 3DS handles the upscaling of DS games - when we don't know much more about how anyone else here lives other than "probably owns a 3DS". It's relaxed, and we're simply talking about alternative implementations and what their impact on the 3DS performance might be.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Sega Genesis could play Master System games, the Atari 7800 could play 2600 games in 1986, and there was even an attachment sold for the Nintendo 64 and SNES that could play games of their predecessors. This is a concept that's nearly as old as home video game consoles themselves.

It's rather silly to start with the sudden comparisons to people's quality of life over a casual discussions about how well the 3DS handles the upscaling of DS games - when we don't know much more about how anyone else here lives other than "probably owns a 3DS". It's relaxed, and we're simply talking about alternative implementations and what their impact on the 3DS performance might be.

Its ridiculous to brush it off over such a stupid issue. The fact that DS games aren't as sharp on a 3DS as on a regular DS isn't an issue, like at all. To make it an issue is just so far beyond my realm of understanding that it blows my mind. I like to go to message boards like these and discuss what is, not what I demand despite the fact that its unnecessary. Its cool if the blurriness bothers you, but I think it is just ridiculous to get up in arms about it or to demand a fix for it, just deal with it, the 3DS is a 3DS first and a DS third (digital downloads come second).

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The last thing I heard about upscale techniques was from the PSX Emu era! It's always nice and informative to read such contentErringtry posted for us

On a side note:

I don't think DS Mode on 3DS was mandatory, in fact, I think Nintendo only did this to help 3DS sales, or it really could be a complete failure as the "next Nintendo handheld" by just offering 3DS games support. Why? Because DS Phat was designed to play NDS Games, DS Lite was designed to be superior to DS Phat, later DSi, including more content and some kind of downloadable stuff, cameras, etc, which still could play DS games, then a DSi XL to enjoy games on a larger screen without looking horrible (in fact it was quite nice)

But 3DS? Meaning, we have 2 ways of DS Mode, one having a fine upscaled mode "relatively blur", and the 1:1 which looks saddening? I'm grateful I can play DS on 3DS, well, even if was due to marketing decisions, 2 kind of image rendering are there. It's quite enough to me.

Melee54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used a DS Phat up until March 2011, when the 3DS came out. I bought it thinking It'd be a great upgrade to jump to, since it could play DS and 3DS. I immediatley saw the blurryness and crap resolution, shelved it, and bought a DSi off ebay. 3DS has been collecting dust ever since. Waiting on Paper Mario... or something good.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I used a DS Phat up until March 2011, when the 3DS came out. I bought it thinking It'd be a great upgrade to jump to, since it could play DS and 3DS. I immediatley saw the blurryness and crap resolution, shelved it, and bought a DSi off ebay. 3DS has been collecting dust ever since. Waiting on Paper Mario... or something good.
what a waste. but hey, your money so...

Melee54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what a waste. but hey, your money so...

Yeah, no kidding. I almost sold it for $170 to some guy but then a day later they announced that the new ones were $169 lol. Now, it's only worth $80 in store credit at the local game shop. So I figured I'd just hold on to it until some great games come out. I do use my DSi a lot, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...