Hacking Upper Screen Replacement

Giangsta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys im about to replace my top screen and i need tips on how to remove the speakers off the old screen and solder them on the new one, is it hard to do?

A small guide or a few steps would be awesome
yaynds.gif

Giangsta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
After a bit of research I've found that using a wick to place on top of the old speaker cables i can desolder it and use the bare cables to solder to the new LCD.

Now the tricky thing is i don't know how to solder the bare cables onto the new ribbon cables because im scared of damaging the ribbon.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the metal pads on the replacement screen should take the solder easily when heated.

note: make sure that your soldering iron has heating up completely before attempting. test this out by applying the end of the soldering wire to your iron to ensure that it melts quickly.

step one:
apply the tip of the soldering iron to one of the pads and then "feed" the solder to the point where the soldering iron tip is making contact with the metal pad until you have a blob about 1.5-2mm in size.

step two:
repeat step one for the remaining 3 pads so that you now have 4 "dots" of solder on the pads.

step three:
apply the soldering iron tip to a pad where the solder meets the pad until the applied solder pools (melts again) and then, taking the leads from the speakers one at a time, "feed" the bare wire into the center of the melted dot and remove the soldering iron, taking care not to move or shift the speaker wire while the solder cools (this only takes a second).

examine the solidified solder. it should still have a shininess too it. if the solder appears extremely dull, re-flow it with the soldering iron and then let it cool again. this ensures a good solder connection opposed to what's termed as a "cold" solder joint (the extremely dull coloured ones) which can break or cause connectivity issues.

note: be sure to apply heat for only the necessary amount of time otherwise you risk melting the pads from the flexible ribbon cable.

2nd note: make sure that you connect the wires correctly as shown in the image below:
b_34.jpg

Giangsta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks man, your always there to help me when I'm in a pinch
yaynds.gif

I only have 2 questions and i think i should be good after that:

1. So i first make the 4 blobs on the ribbon pads then let them cool?

2. After making 4 good sized dots i then re-melt one and feed the wire through the centre of the blob let it solidify and then continue with the next 3 in the same fashion?

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yes and yes
happy.gif

the reason for not creating the solder blob and then immediately feeding the speaker wire into it is simply due to the fact that it's much easier to prep all of the pads first and then work with the wires.

Giangsta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible for me to just plug in the lcd screen before soldering on the speakers? i just want to test the quality of the LCD first. I assume the LCD will work without a hitch and i'd be left with no sound as the only problem?

Giangsta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
After quite a few weeks i have finally completed my Upper screen repairs and everything works the way it should...'phew'

It was my first time doing any soldering work and man, i hard a hard ass time....there were a few moments when i thought all hope was lost but somehow i made it through.

Now i am capable of disassembling, reassembling, replacing the lower screen LCD, touch screen and Upper screen and its all thanks to thieves like us
yaynds.gif

-cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1