Uploading and Downloading PAST COPYRIGHT? Legal? Or no?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Aijelsop, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Aijelsop
    OP

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    Would downloading a 1983 game for Colecovision or your favorite NES game from before 17 years ago be legal?

What's the rule on uploading them as well? (to say a website you created)

2. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Always assume you're wrong when it comes to uploads...

3. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    What Xist said ^^^

If the games are for some ancient computer/console that most people have forgotten about or was made by a company that essentially doesn't exist these days then give it a shot, but be prepared to have to take the games down. Just use your noggin.

I know a few sites that have copies of games for the Acorn Electron (PC from early 80's) which have been around since the late 90's and are quite easily googleable. The chances of Acorn/Alligata/Blue Ribbon/Superior/whatever suddenly reappearing and asking them to take down the games are from slim to zero.

Don't upload anything by Nintendo/EA/Sega/etc as your site wont last any more than a week (unless no one knows about it, but what would be the point of it if that was the case [​IMG]). There are some games for the NES and a few of the other consoles that the developers have released all claims on and you won't have any problems hosting them. I can't really think of any games like this off the top of my head, other than Elite, but I know there are quite a few more [​IMG]

4. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    ZX Spectrum games are still copyrighted and that's never coming back!.....if there's an ounce of ownership be sure someone wants it to remain.

5. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    It's been over five years since I completed communication law, but I believe U.S. copyright stays in effect for something like 80 years. So yeah, it would still be illegal. Assume anything that wasn't created before your grandparents were born is NOT yet in the public domain.

6. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Many of them don't mind if you contact them directly though. See World of Spectrum and their list of publishers and individual developers who are allowing that site to host the games.

7. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Yeah, the copyright on items like that still has a while before expiration.
    Some might class them as abandonware, but in reality it's still copyrighted material.