NULL

uPlay+ is Ubisoft’s new game subscription service

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    pirating is cheaper :creep:

dude1 likes this.
  2. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    And the sky is blue as well!

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    Tarmfot and Jonna like this.
  4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Not a bad move. If it weren't for humble bundle and/or my huge-ass backlog list of games, I might even try it for some months (okay: it needs a linux port as well). It's less hassle than pirating, and some games ubisoft makes are pretty good.

My only gripe with it is rather ironically: it's ubisoft. Their open world games and their simulation games (anno, settlers) tend to take many dozens of hours to play. This means that you can't "plow through" them like you can with indies ("this thing from my backlog looks interesting...<2 hours later>...okay: it was very good, but I'm done with it. :) ").

In other words: I'd only get it when I was unemployed, and when I'm unemployed, the first thing that I'm cutting is my gaming budget. So...to me, it's an example of something I'd never get because I am me. :unsure:

DarthDub and Tarmfot like this.
  5. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Think about it. They wants your money. So it is not worth. And it is SO unnecessarily. I declined it!

the_randomizer likes this.
  6. usernamecharlie

usernamecharlie GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2017
    Israel
    Awesome time for pc gamers, just registered for the free trial. Idk whether to continue subscription afterwards since for me Game Pass is the better option

7. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Stwert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland

5 year old games? I still go back and play 40 year old games. I like ownership of the products I pay for, generally. I’ll grant you I don’t mind streaming services so much as I do buying a single game digitally, because I don’t feel as if I’m paying for any one product in particular.

But the days of owning our games are coming to an end. Even if we buy them physically, in ten years time we’re probably not going to be able to download the huge patches to fix bugs and add missing content. Hell look at MK11, that game needs to be online so much it’s practically pointless buying it for a collection.

DarthDub, Captain_N and Subtle Demise like this.
  8. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Agree with almost everything you said.

Disagree with almost everything you said. And to say something like "Are you on drugs?" because someone has a different take or opinion is pretty stupid. Not going to get into the entire thing, but just for starters... it's the Madden fans who drive Madden sales. Being a casual gamer has ZERO to do with it. My son is an avid gamer who plays all types of games, often, including Madden, because he's a fan of the NFL outside of gaming. So that "casual audience" theory can be completely tossed out the window. If you look at practically any definition of casual gamer you can find online - it most certainly DOES correlate to occasional. I'm a casual gamer even though I own and play tons of different types of games, I just don't invest large amounts of time into gaming like a hard core gamer would. And guess what? I have tons of titles that are MUCH older than 5 years that I'm still waiting to play.

9. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Maybe for most people in your country. It's more like 4 or 5 hours of work here in my country.

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And water remains a liquid, your point?

11. Jonna

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    I don't know, ask Blade - I thought we were just pointing out obvious random facts.

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Just saying that 14 dollars a month is a bit much, do we really need more subscription services? And do we really need more uPlay?

13. dude1

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    Lies
    it’s cloudy today

Tarmfot likes this.
  14. Tarmfot

Tarmfot GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2015
    Montserrat
    I'm not sure. Closer to the Horizon would be more blue. Light travels more distance then more blue with this explanation. :-?
    I 'll pay attention for this.

I do subscription service only for the free ones. I never buy a single game on steam, epic, whatever.
    Perhaps gog because of not drm.

Last edited by Tarmfot, Jun 11, 2019
  15. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    15 dollars is a bit expensive for me.
    Regarding price points, Microsoft had it right.
    But this opion is welcome. Beats streaming, and for a frugal gamer like me, it isn't that bad.

Where can I buy time so I can play all the games I want?

16. TheTechWiz25

TheTechWiz25 GBAtemp's Personal Computer Wiz

Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    Ubisoft is obviously making enough money to survive and pay every single one of their employees so why the need for this uPlay+ bullshit?

17. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    That's just the beginning. It will turn into streaming after.. This is how you transition from people owning the games they buy to never owning anything. It creeps in slowly then before you know it its already there...

For those that think its good for the consumer your wrong. These companies cant wait for its consumers to own nothing and have zero control over the usage of the product.

@Memoir I prefer spending $60 on a game i can still play 30 years later. When all services for the game are long gone.

Last edited by Captain_N, Jun 12, 2019
  18. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    They promote this type of service as if its a good thing and but you know what comes with this? Microtransactions for Single player games... Nah I'm good, Ubisoft as of lately is very medicorce to me anyway.

19. Jonna

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    This comes with all the DLC, season passes and extra stuff the games have if applicable.

20. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Ahhhh. Live service. Ruuuuuun!

NULL