uPlay+ is Ubisoft’s new game subscription service

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere See i would put something here if i knew what to

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Then

dude1 likes this.
  2. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Right, but it stacks. Origin, Game Pass, Uplay.. Guess I'll be alternating from time to time.

3. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    This is such a great deal I'm surprised more people don't see this. I see alot of people talk about ownership, who freaking cares? How many of you really go back and play a 5 year old game? For the average Joe who wants to play the latest game this is a FANTASTIC DEAL. Pay for 4 months and that is ONE new game.

Dartz150, Hells Malice and Pipistrele like this.
  4. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Nah. It's on your hardware. Renting a game vs streaming it.

5. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    It takes 5 seconds to re-new your service. Even so I'm sure it is still less then 80 a month which is the price of 1 new game and an indie.

6. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    No, I know. Just planning it all out. :rofl:

CallmeBerto likes this.
  7. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I do pirate EGS exclusives, but I'm not complaining about having to buy games. Only about too many companies moving in the direction of streaming/subscription services. They all think they're gonna hit it big, but as @00technocolor00 said, they're just gonna cannibalize each other instead.

Sure, but if you keep or make a backup of it, that's the same as piracy. Why bother paying the $15/month at that point?

8. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere See i would put something here if i knew what to

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I pirate games with a try before you buy motto

AlexMCS and Xzi like this.
  9. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    "The term casual gaming refers to video games which do not require a major time investment to play, win, and enjoy. A casual gamer is a player who enjoys any video game without investing significant time to it, playing it spontaneously, irregularly, or infrequently." -- random google match for casual gamer which seems like a reasonable definition

Granted that I'm cheap. Looking at that definition, I'd say I probably wouldn't qualify as a casual gamer. I'm not sure if it's the casual gamer that's driving the Madden series or not. Perhaps the casual consumer? It sounds overly simplistic to group everyone into basically three categories: non-gamers, casual gamers, and hardcore gamers. *shrug* Regardless, there's a lot of people who wait at least a minimum of several months to get games at substantially reduced price, as evidence by the amount of people still buying physical copies precisely for that reason.

10. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Can I pirate the Division 2 and play it online? Being a pirate is fine and dandy, but why gimp yourself out of spite for a business decision? It's like going to Linux exclusively because you hate Microsoft or even Apple.

If you want to "own" the game you can still buy it. It'll just sit there when you're done though. I've got 200+ games in Steam. Why? I have no idea. I play maybe 7 of them.

This doesn't apply to everyone. Clearly it doesn't work for you. I actually prefer paying a small fee for nearly unfettered access to newer games. The service pays for itself after a while.

Last edited by Memoir, Jun 11, 2019
  11. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I doubt it, but I don't know for sure. There have been more than a few instances of pirated games which could be played online. Regardless, Division 2 isn't an EGS exclusive, it's available on uPlay. And for my money, single-player games are always the much better value. Multiplayer-only games come and go with the wind.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  12. Hielkenator2

Hielkenator2 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2017
    Albania
    Also there is the fact of data caps that some isp have , wich means no more games after a certain amount of data. You also pay for the best isp....streaming is seriousely a bad thing man. For people that only have enoug money to buy one game a year it;s horrible.

13. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    Point taken

14. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    You're sounding like they make it easy to unsubscribe :wink:. Most company makes it easy to subscribe, like within a click or two, but you have to call to unsubscribe, why can't they have the unsubscribe feature directly on your account page and easy to find at that? No more wading through automated response and wait times to get someone.

Last edited by RandomUser, Jun 11, 2019
    Tarmfot and Kraken_X like this.
  15. Dontuuch17

Dontuuch17 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2019
    United States
    I think it's a good idea. I can't tell if you can access classic titles like Grandia 2 also though.

16. 98otiss

98otiss certified best girl

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    somewhere
    uplay 2: electric boogaloo

17. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    Yep, That's basically the trend. Games as a "service" in a nutshell.

18. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    Yeah, that I know - I just expect such "subscriptions for subscriptions" to at least be cheaper than a base product

19. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
  20. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Actually, I go back and play games even older than that without going super retro (I just recently went back and played Prey - not the new one, the 2006 version).

Which is exactly why I am super down for this. I love my Ubisoft games, and this is perfect for some one like me that doesn't want to invest a whole ton of money on a bunch of games that will take me longer than usual to play, thanks to my work and my daughter taking up time .

CallmeBerto likes this.