War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
When I bought my computer about a year and a half ago or so, it came with XP... but said it was compatible with Vista. So far, I've been pretty happy with XP...but I was wondering, would it be possible to download Vista from a torrent site, burn it on to a DVD, and then upgrade to Vista? What are the drawbacks and highlights of Vista anyway? I know it comes with a 64bit setting...right? What exactly does that do?

Also, if I did somehow upgrade to Vista, what would I lose? In terms of files, folders, programs, etc.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can pirate Vista like that.
Vista looks better and is more secure but it takes up more memory.
64-bit is to take advantage of 4GB of RAM (if your computer has it).
You won't lose any personal files.

AeroHex

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
search btjunkie

warning:vista is slow and crashes alot sp1 fix some thing but skrew things for others id wait for windows se7en (7)

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Vista has been pretty stable for me, more so then XP in fact. It does use a bit more ram, but it also uses your ram more intelligently, such as caching your most commonly run programs into ram so that they can run quicker. It frees the cache if another program requires more memory.

As for windows seven, it's been built upon the Vista kernel...

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
For the love of god, if you care about your computer, don't "downgrade" to Vista!
tongue.gif

Vista has no advantages over XP. You will just hate it more.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
there's literally no advantage upgrading to vista (except for looks. if u care about looks, google windows vista transformation package. makes ur xp look exactly like vista!). if ur fine with xp, just stick with it (unless u want massive slowdowns). unless ur comp is pretty highend, its not rly rdy for vista yet.

though hypothetically, if u went to a torrent site, would u type in vista ultimate or something liek that? hypothetically of course

GreyAlien said:
As for windows seven, it's been built upon the Vista kernel...
yeah thats true, but when something is built upon, improvements usually come.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vista is slow if you have a computer that still running a pentium 3 and 128 mb of ram. If you have gotten a computer within the last 2 years, upgrading to vista won't be a big problem.

The benefits of a 64-bit OS is that it will allow you to utilize more memory, essentially removing the 3.5 mb of ram limit of a 32-bit system.

Vista itself is built around a dual core environment, so it has better utilization for dual core processors, where as for XP you would have to download the appropriate drivers for your processor. Vista includes a huge jump in better memory management. Better precaching to allow for better program startup times and loading times from booting.

If you are UPGRADING, then you most likely won't lose any of the files, but some programs might start throwing up errors. A fresh install might better, but hey it's up to you.

Yea, I'm not sure why people are all about waiting for Vista 2? The internet meme seems to have spread pretty widely.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you can use the 64bit but its no use. but if i were you, if you download a sp1 vista, and you want to vlite it. get rid of some of the programs that take up space like tabletpc and speech recog. when i installed vista i removed the uac and a lot of drivers and language packs that i didnt need and that saved me about 2 - 5 gigs. i know that some people remove a lot of programs to get the vista dvd down to a cd. the less crap you install for vista the better and faster it is.

i have a 64bit vista and it has not crashed once yet. yet xp sp3 constanly crash my brothers computer all the time.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Warcueid said:
Hm...okay, so far I'm leaning towards yes. I have 2Gbs of RAM, so I guess I won't be able to use the 64 Bit setting D:

That's not to say you can't use it. You can especially if you have a 64-bit processor.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Jiggah said:
Vista is slow if you have a computer that still running a pentium 3 and 128 mb of ram.

lol the comp won't even accept the disc.

@op: how bout this? u post us the specs, and tell u if it can handle vista decently. dunno y i didn't think of that earlier.

EDIT: 2gigs of ram? son don't even think about gaming (unless u turn like everything off before u do. and i mean everything)

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Jiggah said:
Vista is slow if you have a computer that still running a pentium 3 and 128 mb of ram. If you have gotten a computer within the last 2 years, upgrading to vista won't be a big problem.

The benefits of a 64-bit OS is that it will allow you to utilize more memory, essentially removing the 3.5 mb of ram limit of a 32-bit system.

Vista itself is built around a dual core environment, so it has better utilization for dual core processors, where as for XP you would have to download the appropriate drivers for your processor. Vista includes a huge jump in better memory management. Better precaching to allow for better program startup times and loading times from booting.

If you are UPGRADING, then you most likely won't lose any of the files, but some programs might start throwing up errors. A fresh install might better, but hey it's up to you.

Yea, I'm not sure why people are all about waiting for Vista 2? The internet meme seems to have spread pretty widely.
Well, i don't think I have a slow computer, just slow internet, lolz. I have 2Gbs of RAM and a dual core processor, so the things you mentioned don't apply to me.

I didn't know about the better memory management, and that sounds like a huge plus to me.

And lastly, I REALLY don't wanna make a clean install. I have a lot of precious files on my computer I don't want to lose. I mean... I guess I could just back everything up into my 250Gb external HD...

Editl: About my specs. you guys just tell me exactly how to get to the specs page, and I'll screenie and show you. I think it's just right click on the computer icon and click properties, right?

Also, if I install Vista and for some reason hate it... would there be a way to go back? Would I have to download and burn XP SP3 into a disc just in case?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And keep your files? No. You'll have to do a fresh install of XP, if that becomes the case. You could in the mean time clean up your main hard drive by moving files to the external, partition it and install Vista on that new partition to try it out.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
Jiggah said:
Vista is slow if you have a computer that still running a pentium 3 and 128 mb of ram.

@op: how bout this? u post us the specs, and tell u if it can handle vista decently. dunno y i didn't think of that earlier.

EDIT: 2gigs of ram? son don't even think about gaming (unless u turn like everything off before u do. and i mean everything)

Oh...bull. I game with 2 gigs just fine. I don't know, maybe Vista just hates you?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
da_head said:
yeah thats true, but when something is built upon, improvements usually come.

Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you, but this is microsoft we're talking about.
wink.gif

I have Vista x64 installed myself. The advantage of running the 64bit version of Vista isn't just getting over the 4gb limit of ram.

Supposedly the 64bit version is more stable and with some added security that isn't in the 32bit version. Signed drivers come to mind for instance. While you can install unsigned drivers in the 32bit version, the 64 bit version refuses to install them as it could compromise stability.
Of course there is the matter of whether your hardware even has 64bit drivers, though if it's a modern pc there should be. Microsoft now require all hardware vendors to make both 32bit and 64bit drivers to get WHQL certification.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Jiggah said:
da_head said:
Jiggah said:

Oh...bull. I game with 2 gigs just fine. I don't know, maybe Vista just hates you?

wat kind of games r u playing? and yeah i no ram isn't the only factor.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
delta123 said:
you can use the 64bit but its no use. but if i were you, if you download a sp1 vista, and you want to vlite it. get rid of some of the programs that take up space like tabletpc and speech recog. when i installed vista i removed the uac and a lot of drivers and language packs that i didnt need and that saved me about 2 - 5 gigs. i know that some people remove a lot of programs to get the vista dvd down to a cd. the less crap you install for vista the better and faster it is.

i have a 64bit vista and it has not crashed once yet. yet xp sp3 constanly crash my brothers computer all the time.
How would I do that? It sounds interesting, because honestly, I don't need all that crap either. (Speech recognition? Useless for me)

da_head said:
Jiggah said:

I never said I was gonna use it for gaming. o-o; The only games I play are crappy MMO's that don't require a beefy computer, such as MapleStory (which I don't even play anymore) or Ragnarok (same). It's not like I'm trying to run Crysis here >__>;

QUOTE(Jiggah @ Sep 27 2008, 04:49 PM)
And keep your files? No. You'll have to do a fresh install of XP, if that becomes the case. You could in the mean time clean up your main hard drive by moving files to the external, partition it and install Vista on that new partition to try it out.
Hm... So basically, once I move to Vista, there's no going back. What are the advantages of doing a clean install? Because I really don't want to do a clean install... >__>;

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
oo ur not using it for gaming? well go for it then. but once again, WHY?! vista is proven to be more unstable, and the only advantage of it is that it looks nicer (WHICH u can do with vista transformation pack). but w/e its ur choice.

P.S. maplestory? o.O ewwwww

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Warcueid said:
delta123 said:

How would I do that? It sounds interesting, because honestly, I don't need all that crap either. (Speech recognition? Useless for me)

da_head said:
Jiggah said:

I never said I was gonna use it for gaming. o-o; The only games I play are crappy MMO's that don't require a beefy computer, such as MapleStory (which I don't even play anymore) or Ragnarok (same). It's not like I'm trying to run Crysis here >__>;

QUOTE(Jiggah @ Sep 27 2008, 04:49 PM)
Hm... So basically, once I move to Vista, there's no going back. What are the advantages of doing a clean install? Because I really don't want to do a clean install... >__>;

A clean install? Basically it means you won't suffer...a clean install is necessary when upgrading to Vista so you don't have all your old stuff bogging the system down. I did a clean install of Vista on my machine and for 8 months so far its been running as fast as the day i installed it. Vista is the best Windows operating system to date...you won't regret it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.