Gaming Upgrading to DSi XL

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am thinking of upgrading from the normal sized DSi to the XL model but I have heard that you can't transfer games onto a new one from your old one via an SD card and that they are system bound. Is this true? I know I had to get my DSi replaced by Nintendo last summer because of the shoulder button breaking and they put all the games I had purchased on the new one. I would assume I have to go through Nintendo if I want to get the XL and keep my games wouldn't I?

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NO, it cannot be transferred to a new console

There are exceptions to the rule - they are more than happy to transfer if the original console is in an unplayable condition. They have special kits that enable them to find out what has been downloaded to the DSi without having to turn the system on. They also said that in order for them to transfer from one to another, they need both consoles in their possession

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
RoMee said:
NO, it cannot be transferred to a new console

There are exceptions to the rule - they are more than happy to transfer if the original console is in an unplayable condition. They have special kits that enable them to find out what has been downloaded to the DSi without having to turn the system on. They also said that in order for them to transfer from one to another, they need both consoles in their possession
they don't really need special kits to know which games you bought.

the DSi shop system doesn't support redownloading of games for free, but it does keep track of what you bought and ties this info to your nintendo-account.

unopepito06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was under the impression that if you bought all your old games with your Club Nintendo account attached, and then linked your new DSiXL to that same account, that you could redownload all your games. I've heard the issue debated many times, unfortunately I have never done it myself, so I'm not sure...
rolleyes.gif

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
they don't really need special kits to know which games you bought.

the DSi shop system doesn't support redownloading of games for free, but it does keep track of what you bought and ties this info to your nintendo-account.
it's a cut and paste response from nintendo..
and the special kit is for transfering your games from your dead dsi to your new dsi..that's why they need both your new and dead dsi
they will not allow you to redownload the dsi ware you bought to a new system

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah well my old DSi had a broken shoulder button, and they wanted 85 dollars before shipping and taxes to repair it and then I would have to send the XL with it to get the data transferred which would have cost me more money. I figured I would cut my losses and just take the 80 dollar trade in value and not worry about the games, only cost me like 20 dollars, it would just be cheaper to purchase them all again then have to worry about all the repairing and stuff just so I could turn around and sell the normal DSi for like 100 dollars.

Got the XL yesterday and was happy with it, I like the shoulder buttons better, they don't feel as poorly designed as the original DSi ones do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs