Upgrading to a Wii U from a WIi

Kallim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I've bought a Wii U off ebay. I figured theyre cheap enough and my new TV only has HDMI (using an adapter on my old Wii).

I've read up on the tiramisu hack virtual wii etc. It seems like I can swap the usb HD from my old Wii and continue to use wii backup manager for the wii games. But I need to use WUP installer from the SD card for the Wii U games?

I've also seen a program called wii u usb helper which I've installed. It seems very handy but....If I download a wIi game on this can I conveert it to ISO or WBFS format?? It seems like its in a format ready to install as opposed to going through USB loader. I'd prefer to use usb loader and Wii backup manager if necassary.

I'm assuiming Wii U titles would need to go through the SD card for installation, but from what I can gather the game files can still be stored on my HDD? Where does it store them?

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I've bought a Wii U off eBay. I figured they're cheap enough and my new TV only has HDMI (using an adapter on my old Wii).

I've read up on the tiramisu hack virtual Wii etc. It seems like I can swap the usb HD from my old Wii and continue to use wii backup manager for the Wii games. But I need to use WUP installer from the SD card for the Wii U games?

I've also seen a program called Wii u usb helper which I've installed. It seems very handy but....If I download a Wii game on this can I convert it to ISO or WBFS format?? It seems like its in a format ready to install as opposed to going through USB loader. I'd prefer to use usb loader and Wii backup manager if necessary.

I'm assuming Wii U titles would need to go through the SD card for installation, but from what I can gather the game files can still be stored on my HDD? Where does it store them?

The Wii U can natively attach a HDD and install/play games from it.
Most titles that can be installed from eShop can be move to USB and played from there.

When it comes to gamecube you can use Nintendont to play from SD or USB.
You can use USBLoaderGX to play Wii games.
The USB can be FAT32 or NTFS but the latter is better because you can also store Wii games without splitting them.

If you have the time and patience, you can use Techmoon's VC Inject Tool to inject all these games into installable WUP packages.
Then you can install them all as channels on the WiiUs NAND+your USB drive.

PS: yes, you must install all these channel WUP files from SD card. It takes a while but is nice once set up.
You can install these WUPs using WUP_Installer_YMod.

Kallim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Wii U can natively attach a HDD and install/play games from it.
I've already got games on my Wii. In the wbfs folder (Wii) or games folder (game cube).

Will usb loader see these? Or do a "have" to install them?

Ideally I'd like all future Wii games to simply stay in the wbfs folder.

If that is possibe how do I convert the files from Wii u usb helper?

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already got games on my Wii. In the wbfs folder (Wii) or games folder (game cube).

Will usb loader see these? Or do a "have" to install them?

Ideally I'd like all future Wii games to simply stay in the wbfs folder.

If that is possibe how do I convert the files from Wii u usb helper?
WBFS is deprecated now that Wii supports NTFS filesystems.
afaik USB loaders can still load .wbfs from files
and if your files are SD:\games\GameID\game.iso
Then you can boot them with Nintendont.

Kallim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WBFS is deprecated now that Wii supports NTFS filesystems.
afaik USB loaders can still load .wbfs from files
and if your files are SD:\games\GameID\game.iso
Then you can boot them with Nintendont.
The drive is actually partitioned. It's 500gb fat32 and 500gb ntfs.

I did this due to the 4gb limit (saved me from using wii backup manager) so my larger wii games are on the ntfs partition (usb loader gx sees both partitions and puts both lists together). But I had to leave a fat32 partition for GC games. Nintendont didn't like ntfs. Your post basically to put the GC games onto the sd card. I'm assuming that's because of the fat32/ntfs issue?

What I'm really trying to achieve is to not have them installed. I'd like to take the hard drive to my brothers or friends house and be able to plug it in there wii / wii u.

I know this won't be possible with wii u titles. But if i can convert to iso or wbfs that would be really handy if anyone knows how?

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
In Wii u format??
yes

Can't use NTFS or good old fat 32?
if for the vwii mode of the wii U .

if for the vwii mode of the wii U. Hard disk connected to the back of the wii U for the vwii mode.
and for the format specific to the wii U on the front of the console or on the back.

you can get a single external hard drive formatted in console format to have wii, Gamecube and wii U games on the single disk. use the TeconMoon application to inject wii and Gamecube games

Kallim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes

if for the vwii mode of the wii U. Hard disk connected to the back of the wii U for the vwii mode.
and for the format specific to the wii U on the front of the console or on the back.

you can get a single external hard drive formatted in console format to have wii, Gamecube and wii U games on the single disk. use the TeconMoon application to inject wii and Gamecube games
Ok thanks for your help!

I'm now thinking I'll need 2 hard drives. My wii u only arrived today.

I might try and see if I can re-partition my hard drive to 50% wii u and 50% Fat32 (effectively replacing my NTFS file system with a wii u one). I'm assuming Id need a 3rd party program for that as if I format it in the wii U it'll probably delete everything (if its even possible). IF not I'll go for the 2 hard drive option I think.

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes

What you're describing is what I had suggested: installing the games to the system NAND.
What Kallim wants is a means to keep GC and Wii ISOs on the same disk, while also being able to load them on another console.
Even if you install TeconmoonVC Injects to the external USB drive, the tickets are still installed on the console and the game is only playable on that console.

The drive is actually partitioned. It's 500gb fat32 and 500gb ntfs.

I did this due to the 4gb limit (saved me from using wii backup manager) so my larger wii games are on the ntfs partition (usb loader gx sees both partitions and puts both lists together). But I had to leave a fat32 partition for GC games. Nintendont didn't like ntfs. Your post basically to put the GC games onto the sd card. I'm assuming that's because of the fat32/ntfs issue?

What I'm really trying to achieve is to not have them installed. I'd like to take the hard drive to my brothers or friends house and be able to plug it in there wii / wii u.

I know this won't be possible with wii u titles. But if i can convert to iso or wbfs that would be really handy if anyone knows how?

I know I said that NTFS was better because filesize limit is >4GB,
but I'm gonna flipflop and suggest you just format the whole drive as Fat32.

There are only a handful of Wii games bigger than 4GB, so you won't be splitting a lot of files.
Also WBFS supports splitting, so why not?

If you really want portability and ease-of-use without a ton of conversions, just use fat32 :grog:

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over