Upgrading to a mid-tier gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Heavenlydeath, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Heavenlydeath
    OP

Heavenlydeath Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2011
    United States
    just outside the 13th hierarchical city of kagutsu
  2. Elemi

Elemi Yo!

Feb 29, 2012
    England
    Be smart, wait 'til after the festive season.

Otherwise you're spending more than it's worth.

And I would not recommend MSI, every laptop of theirs I've had has died of a random death, all of which is one day it just refuses to turn on with no signs of life.

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    from costumer questions and answers lol, but this can be costumers fault by bad use....

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    If people don't like having a laptop with Windows 8, wiping the HDD and all the bloatware is the best course of action. Then install Windows 7, problem solved :P That's what I'm going to do once I get one.

Edit: I should reiterate, I'm one of the few people on here that doesn't like that OS ;)

5. migles

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    no one said no one likes win 8 :C

6. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

No, but there are people that don't, just sayin' :P I have my reasons, I'm too used to Windows 7 and see no major advantages that 8 has. I'm selling my current laptop in hopes of getting a better machine, but if it has 8 or 8.1, I'm formatting the HDD.

7. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 because of all the performance improvements it offers over and above Windows 7.

Not related to the thread I suppose but it just strikes me as weird that people cling to Windows 7, especially on laptops, since on a laptop you probably want the best performance and battery life you can possibly achieve.

Obviously, Win7 is super-stable at this point, but Win8 isn't exactly full of bugs, either... And it has the start button back! (because having a redundant option to a hardware button taking up screen real estate is, apparently, desirable)

the_randomizer likes this.
  8. snikerz

snikerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 30, 2008
    Lesotho
    I would recommend a 13" Retina MacBook Pro.

9. migles

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    thats right, but the OP maybe likes windows 8, or doesn't care about the OS since he can install what OS he wants, we are talking about the computer itself, not the OS

10. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Wait, so Windows 8.1 has the start button back? I guess my main beef with is are hardware and software incompatibilities I've heard horror stories about. Have those been ironed out? I would have to download a hardware driver that doesn't work on Windows 8. Is there a way to boot up Win 8 without having to go through the Metro UI? How does it help with battery life though?

Fair enough, I just have my reservations about it for some reason.

11. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    In order:

Yes.

There have been a couple (with mouse acceleration in some games, specifically), but they have all been patched out, and were done so fairly quickly.

Win8 is backwards compatible with drivers.

In Windows 8.1, you can boot directly to the desktop (if, for whatever reason, that is your preference).

There are a number of cool optimizations, but the most significant (in my humble opinion) is that the entire UI is now DirectX accelerated.

Previously your CPU was used to render things like text and images, but now that has been offloaded entirely onto the GPU, which is much faster and more energy efficient as a GPU's are designed to, well, process graphics. CPU's are not.

the_randomizer likes this.
  12. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Interesting, never knew much about Windows 8.1, but now I know :P Thanks!

13. Heavenlydeath
    OP

Heavenlydeath Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2011
    United States
    just outside the 13th hierarchical city of kagutsu
    um... to me the OS really doesn't matter I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this was a good deal. I like MSI because in my old tower i used MSI and i didn't have any problems. So what do you guys think is it worth the cash?