Hacking Upgrading to a CycloDS

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So ive been thinking about getting a CycloDS.
But im not sure if I should fork out the odd 70-90 bucks for it, as I already have an R4.

Can I have some opinions on this?

shansoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MicShadow said:
So ive been thinking about getting a CycloDS.
But im not sure if I should fork out the odd 70-90 bucks for it, as I already have an R4.

Can I have some opinions on this?

if you already have an R4 with YSMenu, I dont really see a point to upgrade...

unless there is something on your R4 you dont like or doesnt work, then it could worth your buck to get it..

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want to upgrade, but don't want to spend that much money for a few seldom-used features (game state dumping, for example) you should consider the Acekard 2 or maybe the Edge. The Acekard 2 has a much better menu than the Edge and it's cheaper than the Edge, but both are far better than the R4.

If you think you'll use the features like game state dumping, then you'll want the CycloDS. Or consider the SCDS1 which also has those features at a far cheaper price, but its menu isn't as nice as the other carts I've mentioned and it's relatively difficult to set up.

-Bri

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think I know how OP feels.......restricted by a cart that is limited to 2GB SD and a non-existent dev team, with no ongoing support or firmware updates. Although every game (that I'm aware of) works on R4DS, either natively or with ARM7.bin patching, it seems the more you visit this board and read about CycloDS' innovative features (RTS, in-game text, battery saver, etc. etc.) and other carts' updates, the more one can become frustrated with the R4's lack of 'modern day' features.

That said, I personally decided AUD$70 (that's online order w/out tin) was a bit steep and opted for M3DS Real which cost a comparatively cheap AUD$40 (picked up at a local computer swap meet). Running Sakura Triple Boot firmware on a 4GB SD is good enough for me. Like you though, I still yearn for "the best flashcart"...I'm just hoping the G6/M3 Team can enhance Sakura (official English Sakura and, features much alike CycloDS mentioned above) and elevate their M3DS Real to the top.

berkley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol get the cyclo sure it's more expensive but I have 3 of them had one problem with my cart and Team Cyclo replaced it, the new update is out (1.5 final), and the community is awesome, defiantly get a cyclo
smile.gif

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you feel the need to get an SDHC flashcart, then the Cyclo is definitely the way to go. Spending the extra money is worth it, mainly because their firmware updates frequently bring new and improved features, and generally problematic games on other carts don't have problems on this one, or they're fixed pretty quickly.

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks guys for all your input. Ive looked over all the suggestions, and the Cyclo's firmware features pushes it over the top of the rest in my eyes.

Dark^'^Knight really hit the spot with the point about the lack of modern features

Ive given the YSMenu a shot, and a few other multiboot methods, and none seem to really satisfy me.
A mate of mine (SolidusRegime on the TC forum) has a Cyclo, and it looks like it has what I need

One again, thank you for all your opinions and feedback, its been invaluable

p.s Ill give my R4 to a mate for the cost of a new microSD
biggrin.gif

hyun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you already have a r4 why are you tring to buy a new one?
Isn't the flashcarts all meant to play games on your ds?
Is your r4 broken or something?
If I was you I would still use your r4 because it's just basically doing same major thing which is play nds games but cyclo got some better stuff.

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hyun said:
If I was you I would still use your r4 because it's just basically doing same major thing which is play nds games but cyclo got some better stuff.

I see your point, and have thought about it but there are some major factors that make me want to upgrade.

- No more firmware support
Currently, all games work on the R4 that I have tried (Except for Chrono Trigger, but cheats are available for that)
BUT, if a game in the future refuses to work on the R4, with no workaround, im screwed.

- SDHC support
I play a lot of games on the DS, and constantly swapping them on a 2gig card is a major pain.

-New features, such as slow-mo, inbuilt text reader( a major one for me), battery saver etc
Its good to get features such as these, and i WILL use them.

-GUI

Im sick to death of the crappy GUI on the R4

And generally support for the R4 is kinda dead

hyun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you said does makes sense but the same thing will happen with cyclo too dont you think?
If I was you I would wait and use the r4 more and wait for a good fresh flash cart.

Vincent T

Trophies
Website
www.myanimelist.net
XP
Country
United States
Tayuya said:
*sigh* Can you just please read the sticky topics? It's not that hard..We all all tired of hearing these topics over and over, so next time please try reading at LEAST a LITTLE. Anyways, the best flashcart is a Cyclo DS. You can buy them at www.dealwoot.com So next time, try reading all the topics people put effort in for you guys who doesn't know which flashcart to buy.
dry.gif

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MicShadow said:
hyun said:

I see your point, and have thought about it but there are some major factors that make me want to upgrade.

- No more firmware support
Currently, all games work on the R4 that I have tried (Except for Chrono Trigger, but cheats are available for that)
BUT, if a game in the future refuses to work on the R4, with no workaround, im screwed.

- SDHC support
I play a lot of games on the DS, and constantly swapping them on a 2gig card is a major pain.

-New features, such as slow-mo, inbuilt text reader( a major one for me), battery saver etc
Its good to get features such as these, and i WILL use them.

-GUI

Im sick to death of the crappy GUI on the R4

And generally support for the R4 is kinda dead

If price is an issue with the CycloDS you could always go for the Supercard DS One. It's Firmware was recently updated to fix the Chrono Trigger issue, it's got all the features of the Cyclo except for the slow-mo, and works with SDHC. The only real downside of it is that the menu is slow.

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tayuya, I didnt intend for this to become a 'what flash card is better', more of a 'should I upgrade' sort of thing.

I needed opinions of whether it is a good idea of spending the cash to go R4 to Cyclo.

And Ive got them, thanks guys.

Also, to hyun, you have a good point. But the text reader and other current features will keep me happy. It wouldnt bother me if I didnt get many more updates.

As I said, 'opinions'. And opinions are going to be varied which is good.

EDIT: Also thanks sjones411, I was looking at the SCDS1 at one stage

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
If you're upping from something as bad as the R4 yes go for Cyclo. If it's too expensive, the Supercard is at less than half the price and rated 2nd best flashcart.

Rhuarc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking at getting a CycloDS as well. Does anyone have any recommendations on where the fastest shipping for the US would be?

Really looking forward to the save state feature of the Cyclo! A permanent sleep mode for every game! Awesome!

Thanks for the help in advance!
Rhuarc

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
Rhuarc said:
I'm looking at getting a CycloDS as well. Does anyone have any recommendations on where the fastest shipping for the US would be?

Really looking forward to the save state feature of the Cyclo! A permanent sleep mode for every game! Awesome!

Rhuarc

I hear realhotstuff.com sells the CycloDS for a reasonable price and has very good support. I would check them out if I were you.

Rhuarc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip! I just ordered a Cyclo from realhotstuff.com with Priority shipping (2-5 business days) so we will see how long it takes.

Rhuarc

MicShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ShAdOwFuRi said:
Rhuarc said:

Rhuarc

I hear realhotstuff.com sells the CycloDS for a reasonable price and has very good support. I would check them out if I were you.

Also, If any ones reading this from Aus and wants to get a CycloDS, I cant recommend OzModChips enough. Excellent customer service, fast delivery and a large range of products and services.

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
MicShadow said:
ShAdOwFuRi said:
Rhuarc said:

Rhuarc

Also, If any ones reading this from Aus and wants to get a CycloDS, I cant recommend OzModChips enough. Excellent customer service, fast delivery and a large range of products and services.

They're also a bit on the pricy side... Just keep putting up their prices... the CycloDS went from $79 to $89... and the M3Real is going to go up again as well... AK2s are selling for $48.50. I have no doubt about the quality of the service and speed of shipment for Australians, but to me it's not worth the price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi