Hacking Upgrading the 4.5 internet browser via cia on sysnand

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I'm trying right now is completely experimental and I want to ask you users of GBATemp before I carry on, to see if anyone has some experience with this.

So I've downloaded the 7.x internet browser cia from 3DNUS, the last one before the 9.5 browser update. I want to get this installed on 4.5 sysnand, so that I can have access to the browser exploits for specific games like ACNL. If there is a way to upgrade sysnand to 9.2.0-20 up to 9.5.0-22, that would also be great.

I fully understand how to install a cia to sysnand, especially now that Gateway made it ten times easier with the new 3.2.1 update. I just don't know WHAT will happen after installing this cia.
I just finished installing the 4.5 mset on my N3DS, so installing this browser cia on my O3DS should be a similar process. This will update the browser itself, similar to "downgrading" the settings(mset).

I'm still pretty skeptical about installing this, since this will be done on my friends 3DS. It'd be terrible if this bricked. I feel like even if you have a NAND backup, it's still pretty hopeless.

Any input would be appreciated, hopefully someone's tried something like this before. Really looking forward to getting this done.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
first of all, it's just the internet browser. it's not like you are installing home menu or something else system critical... :)
you can even delete the browser, your 3ds will still work.

and second, the only problem that could arise is that 4.5 does not have the right keys etc, to 'read' the newer internet browser.
install it and see. it's not as crazy as you think, it would probably work

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
if the 7.1.0 browser didn't have an issue, I doubt the 9.4.0 one will

well no that's not for certain, as fws get higher new sdks and keys are used. testing with gw wouldn't always help because gw will use some of the keys built in, so it can be decieving to see if it would work on sysnand without any hacks

Reactions: LameNobody

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well no that's not for certain, as fws get higher new sdks and keys are used. testing with gw wouldn't always help because gw will use some of the keys built in, so it can be decieving to see if it would work on sysnand without any hacks

As it turns out, It works.

Just installed the browser from 9.4.0-22 on my 4.5 system nand, and it runs fine.

Reactions: MattKimura

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really appreciate the input Cearp and LameNobody. I'll get this going on my friend's 3DS, should work. Since this was all just an idea from a user I've bumped into, I didn't think this would be safe to do. I never installed anything to sysnand, not until I installed 4.5 mset on my N3DS.

I entered the browser title ID in 3DNUS, and entered v4096. (there's one version higher, and that's 5121)
Should I just download 9.2.0-20 USA on 3DNUS instead, and get the browser cia from the output folder? Is this an updated version of internet browser v4096?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I really appreciate the input Cearp and LameNobody. I'll get this going on my friend's 3DS, should work. Since this was all just an idea from a user I've bumped into, I didn't think this would be safe to do. I never installed anything to sysnand, not until I installed 4.5 mset on my N3DS.

I entered the browser title ID in 3DNUS, and entered v4096. (there's one version higher, and that's 5121)
Should I just download 9.2.0-20 USA on 3DNUS instead, and get the browser cia from the output folder? Is this an updated version of internet browser v4096?

if you download the whole fw 'pack' of 9.2, there is no point. the v4096 browser would be included in that, so why not just download the one title that you want specifically :)
(which is exactly what you were about to do by entering the title id) so yeah, you are ok

Reactions: MattKimura

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's possible to install the old browser on my 4.5 sysnand EUR for have internet exploits ?
Without any bricks ?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you download the whole fw 'pack' of 9.2, there is no point. the v4096 browser would be included in that, so why not just download the one title that you want specifically :)
(which is exactly what you were about to do by entering the title id) so yeah, you are ok

Thanks for the encouragement, you're right about the safety of it. It installed successfully to sysnand and no side effects.
But then after installing it, I updated sysnand from 4.2 to 4.5 using a game. Not sure if this overwrites the browser. So I tried the browser exploit for Animal Crossing, and it failed so I tried reinstalling the v4096 browser. I still can't get the RAM editor to work.

I guess there's just no hope for it then, unless maybe I have to enter Gateway mode on sysnand while doing the browser exploit?

Edit: Game won't read while on Gateway sysnand mode. Makes sense though lol

t4z3r

Trophies
XP
Country

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just done this today, together with formatting my sysNAND because I got fed up with the update nag.
I grabbed FBI, changed to uninstall title from NAND, searched "0004003000009D02", uninstalled, and installed the browser CIA.
No problems, whatsoever (I checked the version in the browser's settings with 3dbrew, and it checked out). I haven't tried to use any exploits with it yet, because I have no need to, currently.

Instead of using 3DNUS, I used UpdateCDN with this .csv file:
Code:
TitleID,Region,Title versions,Update versions
0004003000009D02,EUR,v6 v1024 v2050 v3074 v3088 v4096,2.0.0-2 Initial scan 2.1.0-4 4.0.0-7 5.0.0-11 7.0.0-13 7.1.0-16

That is all.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I did this today too - upgraded the browser on my 4.1 SysNAND to the one on 3DSNUS (presumably the latest) and it works fine.

I'm not sure which version of the Ninjhax QR code I'm supposed to use though because the version number doesn't get updated with it. Ninjhax still works in my EmuNAND so it's not a problem but my motivation for upgrading the browser was to get Ninjhax working on my SysNAND.

futaris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1