Hacking Upgrading Ps3 from 3.41 ofw to cfw Help Required

shanefromoz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi All,

Currently my ps3 is on 3.41 and i use a ps3key to jailbreak.
I was thinking of upgrading to 3.55cfw but unsure which i should use.
There are Kmeaw 3.55 + Geohot 3.55cfw + PS3ITA which one is best?
Im not worried about going online but it would be nice.
I understand i need the original eboot for the games as i currently use modified eboots for my games.
Also if someone could help me with an install guide that would be awesome.
Or is there a site setup where i can easily grab modified eboots for 3.41 when new games are released?
If i upgrade will i lose all my games and saves from the ps3 hard drive?
Im an upgrade noob so sorry for so many questions.

Cheers

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
kmeaw 3.55 is the most popular one because it runs unsigned code. The "best" one would be one you make yourself.

I use kmeaw 3.55. From 3.41, update to 3.55 OFW, then replace the update file with the 3.55 CFW and update again. You can install lv2 v9 patcher incase any backup managers have problems.

3.55, as far as I've seen so far, does not need any modified eboots or any other modified files for that matter. Also you will not lose any files at all for updating to 3.55 or installing CFW, although some people do advise backing up your save files just in case. I didn't, and I'm fine. EDIT: It should work with modified eboots too, although I'm not too sure about it. I've never been able to tell the difference when downloading games.

All of this is detailed in this guide, which is stickied. If you read the posts in this section in the last week, you'll probably also have noticed the author of that guide saying "use my softmod guide" with a link in a lot of those threads.

Once you've read that guide fully, if you still have any questions, you can ask again.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shanefromoz said:
Hi All,

Currently my ps3 is on 3.41 and i use a ps3key to jailbreak.
I was thinking of upgrading to 3.55cfw but unsure which i should use.
There are Kmeaw 3.55 + Geohot 3.55cfw + PS3ITA which one is best?
Im not worried about going online but it would be nice.
I understand i need the original eboot for the games as i currently use modified eboots for my games.
Also if someone could help me with an install guide that would be awesome.
Or is there a site setup where i can easily grab modified eboots for 3.41 when new games are released?
If i upgrade will i lose all my games and saves from the ps3 hard drive?
Im an upgrade noob so sorry for so many questions.

Cheers
Hi,

I started with 3.41 + PS3Break for jailbreaking purposes. Got rather annoyed being unable to play any recent games, and eventually saw that since the AbestOS/BootOS project now only works on 3.55, decided to go with kmeaw's 3.55... Went to System Update -> Use Storage Media, and the ps3 happily thought the kmeaw prepatched PUP was already a legit one, and went and updated.
smile.gif
AFAIK PS3ITA is just a fork of kmeaw's that had some prepatching to allow it to spoof as 3.56... but now, running rebug's spoofer is what you'd need to make it think it's running 3.60.

Only some really recent games would want 3.56 and newer - Dragon Age 2 is about the only one I'd come across that I was remotely interested in playing. And that was readily modifiable. Not the case with MLB The Show 11, because that had its apploader stuff compiled in 3.56 SDK as well, so just a new eboot wouldn't fix that one. With 3.60 as the current firmware, IMO I believe CFW focus should start with that one now, if it already hasn't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs