Hacking upgrading from an r4

bclowe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I curently have an r4ds and an ezflash 3-in-1, and i was wondering, what is a better upgrade for my r4, an edge card or a dstt. they are both ~$30 at dealextreme, so money isnt an issue. i just want to know really, if both of them have good ds and homebrew playback, and the ability to run gba exploader for my 3-in-1.

so if anyone has either of these and would like to tell me the best highlights of the cards, that would be great.
yaynds.gif

rix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have EDGE and DSTT.
If you need to choose between those two, EDGE is a better upgrade for your R4.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Swip said:
Get a SCDS1 very close to the price of the dstt and edge at DX plus it has features such as RTS.

You should get an SCDS1. Cheap and simple with loads of features. Its only $10 more than the EDGE/DSTT.
If you don't want it then get the EDGE, its a CycloDS clone.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not to complicated matters, but you might also consider the Acekard 2, which is in the same price range as the Edge and DSTT. You can read the reviews of all three in the review section.

-Bri

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
SCDS1, it's a no-brainer. 3 OS's at once, most features, set in stone support, better quality build than the evo-memcard-stick-out-the-top (it's a feature, yeh right [roll-eyes])

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Cyclo can't even support cheats properly, even an obsolete r4 can outdo the cyclo when it comes to cheats. Waste of money, why should there be any compromise at all when you have to pay double ?

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cheats are for people who can't play games.

I have never used a cheat, ever ... and that's after gaming for 32 years ... and I know many people, who, the moment they use cheats in a game, immediately become bored of said game.

Swip

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xcalibur said:
Swip said:
Get a SCDS1 very close to the price of the dstt and edge at DX plus it has features such as RTS.

You should get an SCDS1. Cheap and simple with loads of features. Its only $10 more than the EDGE/DSTT.
If you don't want it then get the EDGE, its a CycloDS clone.
Its actually only $3 more than the EDGE and DSTT at DX.

bclowe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is the supercard ds one really that good? the review has more cons than pros and makes it look bad...

have they made it a lot better than the review? (details please)

so pretty much you guys agree that edge is definitely better than the dstt, right?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are really only two major differences between different carts: the menu system, and the "advanced" features it supports.

On the plus side, the SuperCard DS One has some of the "advanced" features that the most expensive carts have (real time game dump saving/loading (RTS), in-game menu, etc).

However, the official firmware that comes with the SuperCard DS One is a modified version of an old version of Moonshell. The problem with that is that it's very slow.

The SuperCard DS One can run the menu system for the DSTT and also YSMenu, both of which are faster than the official menu, but they don't support any of its "advanced" features.

If you don't need the advanced features, the Acekard 2 has a really nice menu system. There is also a custom menu system for it by Bliss that adds some extra features.

-Bri

bclowe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just read that the edge card isnt compatible with all the features of my ezflash 3-in-1...

is the supercard ds 0ne compatible with all the features of the 3-in-1?

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
bclowe said:
is the supercard ds one really that good? the review has more cons than pros and makes it look bad...

so pretty much you guys agree that edge is definitely better than the dstt, right?

The GBAtemp review is older than a year old, and it's the previous version of the SCDS1. THe current one is SCDS1 SDHC V3, which has gone massive changes in the hardware, and updates. All the problems listed on the original review no longer exists. The SCDS1 SDHC we're talking about has more features than the Cyclo, and a support team that never drops support for any product. In the recent months, they've added Realtime save, Realtime guide, Slow-mo (You need some files for this), and a few more. You can also use the hacked DSTT firmware on it (Which is on the Supercard section of the DS forums.), in case if you don't like it. But you can always switch between the two.

Also, yes, EDGE is better than the DSTT.

bclowe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ojsinnerz said:
bclowe said:

The GBAtemp review is older than a year old, and it's the previous version of the SCDS1. THe current one is SCDS1 SDHC V3, which has gone massive changes in the hardware, and updates. All the problems listed on the original review no longer exists. The SCDS1 SDHC we're talking about has more features than the Cyclo, and a support team that never drops support for any product. In the recent months, they've added Realtime save, Realtime guide, Slow-mo (You need some files for this), and a few more. You can also use the hacked DSTT firmware on it (Which is on the Supercard section of the DS forums.), in case if you don't like it. But you can always switch between the two.

Also, yes, EDGE is better than the DSTT.

ok cool, i think im pretty much set on this card then, but one last set of questions,

DOES IT WORK WITH THE EZFLASH 3-in-1? (sorry for caps i really need this answered)

does it still have a bettery in the new version?

does it still need to shut off to copy the save to the micro sd card?

has there ever been a problem with the battery? (like it dieing, replacing it etc...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs