Hacking Upgrading from 4.5 to 9.2 - the most up-to-date way?

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
I've been meaning to update my CFW O3ds from 4.5 to 9.2 but found the instructions a bit confusing and incomplete to follow them with certainty. I'd really appreciate it if somebody could clear up some of my worries here.

Tony_93, a very helpful user here, wrote:

1)Set up Ninjhax 1.1 + PastaCFW
2)Install sysupdater into sysnand using FBI.3dsx
3)Get the update package in some iso website and place the updates folder into the root of your SD card.
4)Make sure firmlaunch is disabled.
5)Run PastaCFW and sysupdater.

afaik I don't have either Ninjhax or PastaCFW installed (you install these, right?) - is it hard to do so and is there a good tutorial to consult anywhere on these forums?

What is the update package I should look for on the iso website? Could somebody please at least help with a search query? I saw this done somewhere else on the forums so this is probably allowed. If not, please just edit this paragraph out of my post. I'd just like to know what I'm supposed to be looking for!

Disabling firmlaunch is apparently the way to avoid the bricking of your 3DS, but where exactly is firmlaunch and how do I know when to disable it (do I do it inside some 3DS application like PastaCFW or something else, or do I do something with some kind of file while my SD card is inserted into the computer's card reader?). This seems really important but nothing really covers it in an understandable way.

There's also this post from a topic dedicated to my goal specifically:

I'm doing this guide because a lot of peoples asked how to do that recently.
I won't talk about the n3ds because ninjhax (which is required for the pasta cfw) doesn't work on 8.1J, and there's is no point in updating a 9.0 n3ds.

Disable the firmlaunch first if you're using the ninjhax version.

1. Download and launch 3DNUS
2. Type 9.2.0-20 in title id, and your region in version (EUR, USA or JPN)
3. It will create a 9.2.0-20 folder and download a bunch of cias in it, while it's downloading, download sysupdater and put the cia version on your sd card, then create a 'updates' folder in your sdcard root.
4. After the download finished, copy all the cias files from the 9.2.0-20 folder to the updates folder
5. Start Pasta, install sysupdater.
6. Launch sysupdater then follow the instructions

PS : You can also use PBT or the rxtools devmode, but never update while in gateway mode, rxMode, cakes or any other cfw using firmlaunch or you'll likely brick your console.

Mirror link for sysupdater : http://jheberg.net/captcha/sysupdater-03/

Edit : You can't use 3DNUS anymore to download the 9.0-9.2 update, but you can find the cia pack on that iso site.

The OP doesn't seem to imply ninjhax is to be used, but seems to assume Pasta is in use. Do I need both, either, something else?

Again, very few details about the firmlauncher and what files I should be looking for. There was supposedly a way to get the files from 3DNUS but it won't work anymore so there's no point in getting 3DSNUS and those cias are meant to be found manually now? I hope I'm getting it right.

Also, am I right in my understanding that all the installation are to be done in sysnand and not emunand? I mean, it's sysnand I'm trying to update but still.

Many thanks in advance!

D

Deleted-236924

Try minipasta
https://gbatemp.net/threads/need-hax-2-x-pasta-loader.400752/
Supposed to be vanilla sysnand except with sig patches, no firmlaunch or anything.

Should be relatively straightforward for updating with sysupdater that way. Just need a way for you to get sysupdater onto sysnand which should be fine if you run minipasta and then run hbl again, FBI 3dsx version should now have access to installing .cias, I believe.

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Any tutorial on minipasta?

I already have Rxtools but everytime I boot into cfw through an online link, it installs from scratch for around 1 minute (I have to wait each time). Does that count as it being installed?

Also, what about firmlauncher in sysupdater (or wherever it pops up)?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have Rxtools but everytime I boot into cfw through an online link, it installs from scratch for around 1 minute (I have to wait each time). Does that count as it being installed?

This means your firmware.bin is out of date

Also the easiest way to update to 9.2 is with a cart

Type 9.2 in the search bar and buy a game from your region shown

http://www.3dsdb.com/

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
This means your firmware.bin is out of date

Which firmware.bin should I look for exactly? I can't remember how I got the one I have right now. The waiting is annoying, even if I will be able to stay in cfw when I'm on 9.2 sysnand (still not quite sure how to go about getting there in my situation).

Don't update with a cart, it won't update you browser and some other stuff. Just use rxtools 2.5.2 devmode + sysupdater.

Will Rxtools 2.6 do the trick? That appears to be the version I'm using. If so, any detailed guide on how to do it?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which firmware.bin should I look for exactly? I can't remember how I got the one I have right now. The waiting is annoying, even if I will be able to stay in cfw when I'm on 9.2 sysnand (still not quite sure how to go about getting there in my situation).

Will Rxtools 2.6 do the trick? That appears to be the version I'm using. If so, any detailed guide on how to do it?
-Download latest rxtools nightly
-Install python 2.7
-run cdn_firm.py

The reason why you need at least -7 on your browser is because the main entrypoint on 5.x-9.2 is your browser (any browser between 7 and 20 will work)

D

Deleted-236924

Hang on, nevermind. Realized that minipasta would only really work on 9.0-9.2, or i guess maybe if you had Cubic Ninja for Ninjhax 1.1b

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
1. Install Sysupdater to SysNAND.
- There are many of methods to install Sysupdater.
-- Injected FBI (Note: It doesn't support Gateway Downgraded 4.X!)
-- Gateway
-- Palatine, PBT + Devmenu

2. Use Sysupdater in Devmode to install 9.2.0-20 CIA full pack.
- Palatine, PBT, Pasta 4.X Launcher, rxTools Devmode/Pasta mode are available.
- Gateway, rxTools rxMode, CakesFW are NG.

Last edited by MelonGx,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been meaning to update my CFW O3ds from 4.5 to 9.2 but found the instructions a bit confusing and incomplete to follow them with certainty. I'd really appreciate it if somebody could clear up some of my worries here.

Tony_93, a very helpful user here, wrote:

afaik I don't have either Ninjhax or PastaCFW installed (you install these, right?) - is it hard to do so and is there a good tutorial to consult anywhere on these forums?

What is the update package I should look for on the iso website? Could somebody please at least help with a search query? I saw this done somewhere else on the forums so this is probably allowed. If not, please just edit this paragraph out of my post. I'd just like to know what I'm supposed to be looking for!

Disabling firmlaunch is apparently the way to avoid the bricking of your 3DS, but where exactly is firmlaunch and how do I know when to disable it (do I do it inside some 3DS application like PastaCFW or something else, or do I do something with some kind of file while my SD card is inserted into the computer's card reader?). This seems really important but nothing really covers it in an understandable way.

There's also this post from a topic dedicated to my goal specifically:

The OP doesn't seem to imply ninjhax is to be used, but seems to assume Pasta is in use. Do I need both, either, something else?

Again, very few details about the firmlauncher and what files I should be looking for. There was supposedly a way to get the files from 3DNUS but it won't work anymore so there's no point in getting 3DSNUS and those cias are meant to be found manually now? I hope I'm getting it right.

Also, am I right in my understanding that all the installation are to be done in sysnand and not emunand? I mean, it's sysnand I'm trying to update but still.

Many thanks in advance!
How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0 or 9.2

If you want to boot rxTools as soon as you turn on your 3DS, then you need to set-up Menuhax; and to use Menuhax, you need to be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware.
Warning: This can brick your 3DS if done incorrectly! Be sure that you follow the instructions carefully!

Requirements:
  • FBI installed in sysnand (Step 4a if you don't have Gateway or Ninjhax) OR any other cia installer on Sysnand
  • A rxTools 3.0 nightly (preferably the one linked in Step 2)
Let's get started.
  1. Click HERE
  2. Click the CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates [Archive] result
  3. Click View Full Version : CIA Format DLC's, Themes & Updates at the top of the page
  4. Find the thread titled [MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)
  5. Scroll down to the section titled Updates
  6. Download either the 9.2 modified update pack for your region, or a 9.0 or 9.2 Full Update Pack for you region
  7. Once downloaded, open the archive and find the "updates" folder; place it on your SD card. There should be many cia files in that folder.
    • Example: SD:/updates/0004013000008003.cia
  8. Download Sysupdater
  9. Open the archive and put sysUpdater.cia on your SD card
  10. Insert your SD card in your 3DS
  11. Hold L while launching rxTools to get into the rxTools menu
  12. Press DPAD RIGHT until you highlight ADVANCED OPTIONS, then press A
  13. Go down to DEVMODE and press A
  14. After a few seconds, you should now be in sysnand; firmware spoofing is disabled but cias can still be launched in this mode.
  15. Launch FBI
  16. Install sysUpdater.cia (Destination: SD)
  17. Once installed, press HOME to see sysUpdater wrapped as a gift; unwrap it.
  18. Launch sysUpdater
  19. sysUpdater will ask you if you are sure you want to go ahead with the update; choose to accept it.
    • It will also tell you that you shouldn't be in Gateway mode, or have firmware spoofing. Do not worry about this, DEVMODE has no firmware spoofing, so sysUpdater will work as intended. Just be absolutely sure you are in DEVMODE (line 13), not RXMODE SYSNAND!
  20. Wait for sysUpdater to finish. When it is done, your 3DS will reboot into 9.0 or 9.2 firmware! You can now follow the steps to use Menuhax if you'd like.
taken from this thread [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (Old 3DS and 2DS)

Reactions: samiam144

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
^ That's highly detailed; I think this is what I'll try first because I know how to take each step.

Why does it not mention anything about firmlaunch though? Does it simply play no part in this way of installation?

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i have a question. the only hb entypoint that works for me is ninjhax (with cn) but i have it only on my gateway redcard or cia but i ve read that i cant use gw for this method without bricking my 3ds what should i do?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
^ That's highly detailed; I think this is what I'll try first because I know how to take each step.

Why does it not mention anything about firmlaunch though? Does it simply play no part in this way of installation?
In DevMode, firmlaunch is disabled (in rxMode it's not and will brick).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i have a question. the only hb entypoint that works for me is ninjhax (with cn) but i have it only on my gateway redcard or cia but i ve read that i cant use gw for this method without bricking my 3ds what should i do?
You need to get rxtools working on your 3ds. Use rxtools 2.5.2. If you can launch GW then you can use the same method to launch rxtools (as long as you don't have a Japanese n3ds on 8.1 firmware)

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i have a o3ds xl 4.5E and i have the latest rx nightly and ive updated it to 9.2..... it worked
but is it normal that most of the cias are already installed??

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a o3ds xl 4.5E and i have the latest rx nightly and ive updated it to 9.2..... it worked
but is it normal that most of the cias are already installed??
rxtools and gateway share the same emunand so no its not weird that you can see your old cia games installed to your gateway emunand

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup