Hacking Upgrading from 3.55 CFW to 4.46 CFW

LeSnake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello guys,

I recently asked you guys, if it was worth it to buy a used PS3 slim CFW - and I did!

So here I am, all new to this stuff. I have been reading up on this topic and I believe the process of updating is very simple, but before I rush anything I just have to hear you guys out too.

Okay, so currently I'm on 3.55 CFW (I don't know which one) and I can go into multiman and play games from the external harddrive. Now I'd like to update to 4.46, but I've read that I should QA-flag it first with some file.. Is this correct?
I've then heard it's just a matter of putting a 4.46 CFW on a USB drive and installing it from XMB, I'm just damn scared of doing this, as I DO NOT want to risk updating to 3.55+ OFW. So how do I make absolutely sure I don't do this?

Also, am I correct that it is the harddrive running MultiMan or is it something you install in XMB and then it can read the external harddrive if the file structure is correct? Because I think I'll have to update MultiMan or something if I update, right? How does MultiMan work? I'd also like to use NTFS instead of FAT32, if this is possible and easy? My drive is a 1,5 TB external.

I am aware that most of this information is probably available in tutorials, I just want to be absolutely sure I do this correct. I do not want to fuck this up.

- LeSnake

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Download the latest Rebug firmware (or Rogero) from rebug.me or tortuga-cove.net (for Rogero)
Rename the update to PS3UPDAT.PUP.
Place it in a folder called UPDATE in a folder called PS3.
Plonk it in your PS3 and start the systemupdate (if you're paranoid, pull out your internet cord or disconnect WiFi)
Then let it update from Local media ( or something similar)

Yes, Multiman will have to be updated to 4.50 (or whatever the latest one is)
So you can go ahead and install it first (then let it update via network) or install the latest version after you installed the latest CFW.
After that you can use the internal and external HDD's
I prefer internal tho.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the latest CFW right now is Habib's 4.53 (latest OFW version). You can find it here. You want V1.01. I haven't tried it personally, but apparently it works well.

LeSnake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for answering, I appreciate it!

Rename the update to PS3UPDAT.PUP.
Place it in a folder called UPDATE in a folder called PS3.
So like:
DRIVE\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP
Right?

Yes, Multiman will have to be updated to 4.50 (or whatever the latest one is)
So you can go ahead and install it first (then let it update via network) or install the latest version after you installed the latest CFW.
What do you mean by updating it via network? I guess if I already have it installed, I can update Multiman through Multiman, right?
I'd probably choose to just install the latest CFW and then latest Multiman.

EDIT, again: Did some research, the above should be the correct way to proceed. I'm still confused about stuff below:

Actually, the latest CFW right now is Habib's 4.53 (latest OFW version). You can find it here. You want V1.01. I haven't tried it personally, but apparently it works well.

Rogero and Habib seems to be from the same team, right? I don't understand what the difference is between these two...?

Also, what is the difference between DEX and CEX versions? Which should I install?
EDIT: Did some research, I should install CEX - the other one is a development one, right?
Which USB should I plug the flash drive in? I have a PS3 slim, with 2 ports on the front.

LeSnake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I should update this thread. I am now on 4.46 Rebug LITE and it's working flawlessly. The only thing that I'm not fully sure on, is how to spoof my firmware to 4.50 (and do this without risking the life of my PS3).

Thank you guys for helping me. Along with other tutorials you guys helped me greatly.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To spoof to 4.53, use YAB (Yet Another PSN Bypass),
http://www.ps3hax.net/2012/10/yab-yet-another-bypass-1-8-by-cotojestwtf/

This will require you to use your PC as a proxy for the PS3.

You also want to use PSNPATCH,
http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5576

This will disable custom syscall temporarily, making CFW more a like to OFW. Keep in mind while custom syscall is disabled you won't be able to use homebrew like multiman. A PS3 restart is required to use homebrew again.

Spoof is a spoof, it does NOT mean 100% ban free.

LeSnake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
#7 Thank you. I was wondering, is there any safe spoof (safe meaning not risking a brick) without having the use my computer?
I find that having my computer turned on to use as a proxy would defeat the purpose for me.

I am aware that it will not be safe at all, I'd just like to use Netflix really.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK.

3 steps to get a CFW 4.46 Playstation 3 .

1. Buy OFW 3.55 Playstation 3 on Amazon/Ebay
2. Tutorial for 3.55 CFW ( )
3. UPDATE to CFW 4.46 ( this tutorial)

Now is this right?
And what kind of Apps is required to play PS3 from USB HDD ? .. I heard of Multiman but is any other apps good to have?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Welp I'm off to best buy because I figured out how to shove another 14tb hard drive in this server 😂