Upgrading Flash cart

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by FranckKnight, Oct 24, 2007.

Oct 24, 2007

Upgrading Flash cart by FranckKnight at 3:49 PM (1,309 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. FranckKnight
    OP

Member FranckKnight GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I bought my M3 Perfect Mini-SD system right before the PassCard flood and first generation of Slot-1 solutions. I'm very happy with it since I like keeping the possibility of playing GBA games, which isn't possible with Slot-1 systems of course. M3Perfect works well with every game I've played up to now too, no complaints about it.

But thing is I hate that PassKey thing that came with it. Its big and sticking out badly. I usually slide it off before starting the game, but still its rather inconvenient to carry around and sldie back in every time I reload a game.

So I was jugglign my options and wanted to know what you guys would suggest on this.

I know Slot-1 solutions still give me the chance to boot from my M3Perfect, such as M3Simply, acting like a PassKey. It could play NDS games on its own as well, the Slot-2 one could be used only for GBA games as a result.

On the other hand I could just get a cheap Passcard and keep the entireity of it.

Note that I got a Phat DS, not a Lite, so its not a question of size per say.

I've looked into the list of Slot-1 systems and passcards, like R4 systems with built-in memory, or M3Simply with MicroSD cards. I figure that the R4 8gb is actually a 1GB flash memory, a 8GB SD card costs alot more than this. I'm just really looking for your opinions and suggestions on this.

Thanks in advance for the replies. [​IMG]

2. crazyshiza

Member crazyshiza GBAtemp Regular

The r4 does not have internal memory it is the same as the m3. Maybe you're thinking about the g6 real?

yes, 8gb is 1GB

3. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just get a Cyclo DS Evolution. Great cart, and supports MicroSDHC.

4. FranckKnight
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, most probably my faulty memory.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Until you come to a decision, I'd recommend installing FlashMe on your DS. After that, you won't need the Passkey anymore. Yes, it's very slightly risky, but it's cheaper than buying a NoPass.

6. HyoImowano

Member HyoImowano GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If a problem comes along, FLASH IT!

7. FranckKnight
    OP

Canada
    I actually keep making the same mistake about the R4 having internal memory :'( Was chatting with Shadow about it and made the same mistake.

Well nevermore sicne I decided on getting a R4. The M3 Simply was out of stock [​IMG]

So now I can play my NDS games straight off the Slot-1 and keep the Slot-2 for either extra games or GBA games.

Flashing my NDS, I don't really trust it. I don't mean it wouldn't work, just that I don't trust myself to do it correctly [​IMG]

8. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    i suggest two things:
    dont flash ur DS, since you will get a SLOT-1 and it will get u rid of that PassMe anyway and you will not void the guarantee, if anything wrong happnes like a hinge or so.

wait till xmas, developers will show what they have until then, and if u get something like a R4 now, maybe u'll regret by Xmas.

thats my opinion.

9. iritegood

Member iritegood GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Get the R4. The M3DSS (the cart I have) and R4 are both the same really. But the R4 is slightly cheaper most of the time and the updates come a few days early. It's not that big of a deal but there's really no point buying the M3DSS except to match your slot-2.

10. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Get an R4. Two reasons:

Good overall cart in terms of compatibility and ease of use.
    GBAtempers have 5% discount at Gameyeeah. [​IMG] See the R4 forum, newest sticky.