Upgrading and bricking

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by East, Aug 6, 2009.

Aug 6, 2009

Upgrading and bricking by East at 9:38 PM (972 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. East
    OP

Newcomer East Newbie

United States
    A while back when Bannerbomb was just released I installed it to get the homebrew channel as well as downgrade my wii to version 3.4 so I could use WiiGator3. Now I want to know if I would be able to upgrade my wii to the current version without it bricking. I want to install bootmii so that I can create a nandump file so that if my wii were to ever brick, I could restore it. Any help or knowledge in solving my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Bootmii is not on my SD card, I have already checked [just so you know]

2. jabmaster2

Member jabmaster2 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Install bootmii as boot 2 first b4 anything and backup ur NAND. Best way 4 u to upgrade is waninikokos 4.1 updater.

3. East
    OP

Newcomer East Newbie

United States
    Sorry for the late reply,

It says that I can only install BootMii as an IOS? Is that alright?

4. EtherealX

Member EtherealX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Not really. BootMii as IOS is barely brick protection, if at all. You should be ok to follow the guides found around here to get your system up to 4.1. Just don't be stupid and uninstall anything. You never, ever, ever need to uninstall anything (other than channels you dont want to use, of course.)

All said and done, you'll want to use Preloader as your main line of defense for brick protection. It wont hurt to run BootMii as IOS for Nand Backups, too.. just remember.. without BootMii on boot2 (which your Wii can't do) you have no true brick protection. Good luck, though. :> Follow a guide, don't uninstall anything, and you should be good.

5. East
    OP

Newcomer East Newbie

United States
    Is there any real reason why it's not able to install it as boot2? I have an LU36, and I figured that would be more than far back enough for it to be able to install as an IOS. Or is there another reason?

6. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    yes the strcmp bug is not found in your Boot1 so your boot2 cannot be replaced.

just update through nintendo. so long as u have a cios installed it doesnt brick shit.

7. East
    OP

Newcomer East Newbie

United States
    a cios? Would you be willing to elaborate just a bit more? I am fairly new to the wii hacking technical jargon.

8. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Because you already installed it as a boot2. From what I understand it already was, so the error is installing it on itself. It loads on startup so your good.

9. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

No, he cannot install as boot2 at all. I had an LU36 (and a LU37 and LU38 afterward) and they all had the new boot2 fix. These consoles could not install bootmii as boot2 at all...only as IOS.

10. EtherealX

Member EtherealX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The serials on a Wii are not sequential. Just because its a lower number doesn't necessarily mean its an older Wii. Even if boot2 was already installed, the hackmii installer would still read that it can be installed (green for go.)

To answer the OP's question, the real reason why you can't install to boot2 is because Nintendo found their fuck up and fixed it in newer Wiis last year. There's no way around it unless you go buy an older Wii.

Edit: More info.. you're good to go ahead and update your Wii. You wont brick it by updating, it just replaces your hacked up files. You'll just need to go ahead and redo everything once you're at the firmware you want to be. I've fixed some pretty bad cut up Wiis from people deleting crap (luckily, not IOS60) by simply updating it with Ninty.

11. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

Correct. If his is reading "IOS only", well, he's out of luck in installing bootmii as boot2.