Gaming Upgraded to 1.6, worked for a few days, now no disks work.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I flashed my friend's XBOX360 with BenQ drive a week ago.
It was iXtreme 1.41 firmware (8x speed) and I flashed it with iXtreme 1.6.

It was playing find for a few days, then my friend said that it wouldn't read the disks a few times, but would after reinserting the disk.

Now it doesn't read disks at all.

I've tried backups, originals, DVD's, audio CD's.
The big game "channel/icon" on the screen says "Reading..." then goes back to "Open tray."
When I put a disk in, it makes a grinding sound for a second (maybe the laser moving into place?), then spins up for another second, then stops.

I tried reflashing it but that didn't fix it.

Not sure if it's related, but when I tried to reflash it using JungleFlasher, the "Benq unlock" button wouldn't work. It did the very first time I updated it to 1.6 though. I had to use the "Intro/DeviceID > turn 360 off for a second then back on" method to get it into vendor mode.

Another thing is that the disk he was playing this whole week now has a circular scratch on the bottom, like the drive is scratching the bottom of the disk.

My first guess is that the drive failed (maybe due to 1.6 being 12x speed when it was working at 8x speed before?), but it seems like a crazy coincidence that it'd fail right after I updated the firmware.

Does anyone know what the cause might be?

And slightly off topic, is it possible to swap Benq drives without doing any drive spoofing or any of that?

Thanks for any advice!

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always thought you should flash the stock firmware back before flashing to a different version of iXtreme.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ | Red |: Well, I have an XBOX 360 as well with the exact same setup and firmware revisions before and after, and mine is working fine.

It could very well be the drive is dying/dead, but that's such a coincidence that'd I'd like to exhaust every possibility.

By the way, I'm still not sure if it's possible to downgrade just but flashing it normally with an older version. I'll do some research on it but if anyone knows, I'd like to know.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Moose13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ring aroudn the disc bothers me. There were know problems with people moving the 360, from horizontal to vertical (or visa versa) causing scratching on the discs.

The not reading at all, I'd have to say it's a bad drive/misaligned laser.
Possible you banged it when removing it from the unit to flash it?

You can get a new drive for about $30. If you do that, make sure you keep the keys from the old drive, you will need these to flash the new drive!!

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I flashed it back with the original stock firmware today and it still did the same thing, so I'm thinking somehow the drive died on its own and it's just coincidence that it happened right after I flashed it.

bubbleboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devante said:
Well I flashed it back with the original stock firmware today and it still did the same thing, so I'm thinking somehow the drive died on its own and it's just coincidence that it happened right after I flashed it.

The ring of scratches suggests your friend moved the 360 while the disc was spinning, ruining the disc and probably the laser at the same time. Nothing to do with flashing whatsoever.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried re-aligning the laser? This happened to an old 360 of mine, My buddy re-aligned the laser after I told him my 360 wasn't reading burned or original games.

Chinman

Trophies
XP
Country
i had a similar problem, i updated my 360 to 1.6 and it stopped reading discs altogether, games, dvds and even cds. i tried flashing back to 1.51 and even to the stock firmware but still would not read discs. i can only assume that the laser was almost dead before the flash

i looked at all the options, i tried adjusting the laser pot but didnt work (used a guide and also found out that this is supposed to be a temp fix anyway), i thought about replacing the laser (but found this to be a scam as it is difficult to successfully change the laser and align, not as easy as it is made out to be), tried cleaning the laser with a cotton bud and spirit and did not work (worked for a couple of seconds and then got the dirty disc error). all in all, if these fixes work, then i can only assume it is usually luck, and even then is likely to be only temporary. a lot of hassle for an uncertain result.

finally i bought a new samsung drive for £30 and spoofed it using jungleflasher. worked perfectly. hope this helps.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot.

I have another unused 360 with a Hitachi 0046 drive in it.
I tried spoofing it but the system will only read original (pressed) games and DVD's.

So I got it to work on the 360 I swapped it to, but it won't read backups!

I guess I'll have to buy another BenQ online! :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1