Upgraded motherboard, memory and CPU. Trying to boot into old SSD.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Harsky, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Over a year ago, my relative was given a PC for her freelance job but with not a massive budget, I suggested that the first thing to upgrade the hard drive to an SSD. That was a temporary solution until she finally decided to get a new motherboard, CPU, memory and PSU last week which I helped assemble today.

Now that I booted it up for the first time, Windows 7 goes into a constant loop of booting and restarting. It's obvious the hardware change hasn't gone smoothly but is there a way to fix this without having to format and start a new Windows install?

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    The first thing that comes to mind is to check if SecureBoot is enabled in the UEFI/BIOS.

3. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    You know the problem already. It's very obvious that the new hardware doesn't like the old installation.

I think the best course of action is to clone the old SSD/boot drive with software like Clonezilla, and do a fresh install of her preferred copy of Windows.