Hardware Upgrade my gaming PC, or just buy a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In your current setup, I would say an updated video card would give you a huge gain. I picked up a evga 6gb 1060 for like $100 on fb marketplace and it doubled my framerates coming from a gtx 960. I would say try just a video card upgrade and see how you like the performance. If you get a good card, you can always carry it with you to a new build if you decide to go that route.
On a side note, keep your eyes on fb market for local sales. I picked up a whole computer that was better than mine for $80 and took the parts i needed out of it. Being that yours is a 2012 build you may find that you can get a very cheap upgrade from trying something similar. Its all luck finding things that way though.

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally done! After looking for advice at the forums (this is what I found), I finally made the customizations for my new Thump-100. Now I will have to wait until March for it to finally ship. Here are the specs:
CABLE: None
CAS: LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Mid-Tower Dual chamber Gaming Case w/ USB 3.1 Type-C, Tempered glass on the front & side (Black Color)
CC: None
COOLANT: None
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 12 Cores/ 24 Threads 70MB Cache 105W Processor
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: None
FAN: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L V2 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Copper Cold Plate [-6]
FREEBIE_SSD: Free 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5400RPM HDD [+0]
HDD: 1TB Samsung 870 QVO-Series SATA-III 6 Gb/s SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 560/530 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 98/88k [-3] (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
HEADSET: None
IUSB: Built-in USB Ports (Based on motherboard and case selection)
KEYBOARD: None [-5]
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Crucial Ballistix Sport)
MICROPHONE: None
MONITOR: None
MOPAD: None
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (Wi-Fi) ATX w/ RGB, Realtek LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
MOUSE: None [-3]
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: 650 Watts - Corsair RM Series RM650 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+1]
PRO_WIRING: None
PROMOSALE1: CyberPowerPC FPS Gaming Mouse Pad [+0] (Large 14x12 Inches)
RUSH: Extra 2 week lead times for selected video cards, Eligible for 5% Instant Rebate when enter “NORUSH” During Checkout.
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
SLI_BRIDGE: None
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
USBHD: None
VIDEO: [Extra 2 Weeks Lead Time] GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X (Ampere) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
WARRANTY: PREMIUM WARRANTY: Standard 1 Year Parts WARRANTY + ONE (1) YEAR SHIPPING [+19]
WNC: None
WTV: None​
I chose the Corsair 650 Watts PSU because I read that the standard 1000W PSU can fry the PC. I hope it's enough for the 590W that it requires. For the cooling unit, I chose Cooler Master, not only because the upgrade was free. but also I read that the Cyberpower PC brand is an open ended liquid cooling system that requires maintenance. I hope that means that by choosing brand, I don't need to replace the coolant every time. Also, I hope that the cooling system is enough for the overclocking option that I chose (it's All Venom OC Certified). I hope I made the proper customization for the PC to last. Any thoughts?

Last edited by MushGuy,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Finally done! After looking for advice at the forums (this is what I found), I finally made the customizations for my new Thump-100. Now I will have to wait until March for it to finally ship. Here are the specs:
CABLE: None
CAS: LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Mid-Tower Dual chamber Gaming Case w/ USB 3.1 Type-C, Tempered glass on the front & side (Black Color)
CC: None
COOLANT: None
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 12 Cores/ 24 Threads 70MB Cache 105W Processor
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: None
FAN: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L V2 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Copper Cold Plate [-6]
FREEBIE_SSD: Free 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5400RPM HDD [+0]
HDD: 1TB Samsung 870 QVO-Series SATA-III 6 Gb/s SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 560/530 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 98/88k [-3] (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
HEADSET: None
IUSB: Built-in USB Ports (Based on motherboard and case selection)
KEYBOARD: None [-5]
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Crucial Ballistix Sport)
MICROPHONE: None
MONITOR: None
MOPAD: None
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (Wi-Fi) ATX w/ RGB, Realtek LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
MOUSE: None [-3]
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: 650 Watts - Corsair RM Series RM650 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+1]
PRO_WIRING: None
PROMOSALE1: CyberPowerPC FPS Gaming Mouse Pad [+0] (Large 14x12 Inches)
RUSH: Extra 2 week lead times for selected video cards, Eligible for 5% Instant Rebate when enter “NORUSH” During Checkout.
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
SLI_BRIDGE: None
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
USBHD: None
VIDEO: [Extra 2 Weeks Lead Time] GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X (Ampere) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
WARRANTY: PREMIUM WARRANTY: Standard 1 Year Parts WARRANTY + ONE (1) YEAR SHIPPING [+19]
WNC: None
WTV: None​
I chose the Corsair 650 Watts PSU because I read that the standard 1000W PSU can fry the PC. I hope it's enough for the 590W that it requires. For the cooling unit, I chose Cooler Master, not only because the upgrade was free. but also I read that the Cyberpower PC brand is an open ended liquid cooling system that requires maintenance. I hope that means that by choosing brand, I don't need to replace the coolant every time. Also, I hope that the cooling system is enough for the overclocking option that I chose (it's All Venom OC Certified). I hope I made the proper customization for the PC to last. Any thoughts?
1000 watts won't fry your pc. Your pc will only draw power it needs. If your pc only need 700 watts of power then it will only draw 700 watts from your 1000 watt power supply. A 1000 watt power supply won't break your pc. So you won't damage it over shooting your needs.

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1000 watts won't fry your pc. Your pc will only draw power it needs. If your pc only need 700 watts of power then it will only draw 700 watts from your 1000 watt power supply. A 1000 watt power supply won't break your pc. So you won't damage it over shooting your needs.
I know. It's the quality of the product what concerned me, not the wattage. That's why I chose brand instead. Even if I chose a different wattage number for the standard PSU, there could still be chances for the PC to be fried anyway.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I know. It's the quality of the product what concerned me, not the wattage. That's why I chose brand instead. Even if I chose a different wattage number for the standard PSU, there could still be chances for the PC to be fried anyway.
What about monitor are you getting one too? I have a couple of suggestions.

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about monitor are you getting one too? I have a couple of suggestions.
I'm keeping the one I already have. It's a Samsung that is still good enough for my PC and consoles until the day I also decide to upgrade the monitor.

Mosaab1989

Trophies
Website
computerzilla.com
XP
Country
Italy
Well, it completely depends upon your budget and needs. I guess you should build a custom gaming PC for yourself. The 6GB 1060 is a good graphics card, however, I would recommend throwing a little more cash on the table and getting a GTX 1660 Super or Ti version.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Well, it completely depends upon your budget and needs. I guess you should build a custom gaming PC for yourself. The 6GB 1060 is a good graphics card, however, I would recommend throwing a little more cash on the table and getting a GTX 1660 Super or Ti version.
1987 - I need help building a computer

2012 - I have a couple of suggestions

Reactions: AlanJohn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1