Upgrade base PS4 hard drive with old firmware for jailbreak

I am currently on OFW 9.0 and using GoldHen via PaulJenkin's Raspberry Pi Zero W method. So far it works well, Once in a while it doesn't work the first try but that's not a big deal. Now that I have a PS4 that can be jailbroken I want to upgrade to a larger capacity HDD than the 500GB drive that shipped with my base PS4. I know the standard method to do this would be to go to the playstation web site, download the reinstallation firmware, put in on a drive, and use that drive to install the OS onto the new internal hard drive. I also know that if I did that now it would be firmware 9.03 and would no longer accept a jailbreak.

At darksoftware and darthsternie they have UPGRADE firmwares AND RECOVERY firmwares but I don't see REINSTALLATION firmwares. Are Recovery and Reinstallation firmwares the same thing or do I need something else? If I specifically need Reinstallation Firmware is there a place I can get the 9.00 Reinstallation Firmware or am I stuck with the HDD I have now?

Reactions: Hmed and SoraTaleZ

Puppydogpals

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You need the recovery firmware..

Back up your hard drive using the ps4 to a USB hard drive. Swap internals.

Follow Instructions on screen to install recovery from USB stick that has the recovery firmware

Then restore from usb harddrive to get games, saves and profiles back

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

form4li7y

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need the recovery firmware..

Back up your hard drive using the ps4 to a USB hard drive. Swap internals.

Follow Instructions on screen to install recovery from USB stick that has the recovery firmware

Then restore from usb harddrive to get games, saves and profiles back

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought the recovery firmware would work but Sony calls it reinstall system software so I just wanted to be sure. Been waiting too long for a jailbreak and I don't want to lose it.

Reactions: Hmed

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have just done this myself last week, i used the file from Darksoftware. All worked perfectly and now my ps4 is rocking a total of 16Tb :P

Reactions: HellGhast

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I have just done this myself last week, i used the file from Darksoftware. All worked perfectly and now my ps4 is rocking a total of 16Tb :P
Holy cr@p! 16 TB!? Didn't know there's a 16Tb 2.5" Sata.

I have questions, Internal? Sata-2 or Sata-3? HDD or SSD?

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I'm not sure if you can use two 8TB externals as I've never tried it. the ps5 also has the same restrictions of 8TBs.
Noted, thanks. Would be cool if the Ps5 M.2 slot could support larger than the current 4TB max, although the restriction could possibly be due to the fact that currently the largest Gen-4 M.2 is 4Tb. Hopefully Ps5 will support m.2's larger than 8tb in future.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noted, thanks. Would be cool if the Ps5 M.2 slot could support larger than the current 4TB max, although the restriction could possibly be due to the fact that currently the largest Gen-4 M.2 is 4Tb. Hopefully Ps5 will support m.2's larger than 8tb in future.
super expensive I'd imagine. I'm using a 5TB external for ps4 games, since it's currently the largest they make that can be unpowered, but ps5 games can be stored on an external drive just not booted (only from the ssd, internal, or the expansion thing).

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That would be a crazy price tag though probably like $2000 USD

Reactions: HellGhast

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
That would be a crazy price tag though probably like $2000 USD
Yeah I know, my niece wanted to install an Ssd on her Ps5 so my sis asked me to shop for them an Ssd. Woah the 4Tb was around $900. I bought for them a 1Tb Samsung 980 pro for $140 plus the Sabrent Ps5 heatsink costing $19.

Last edited by HellGhast,

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
super expensive I'd imagine. I'm using a 5TB external for ps4 games, since it's currently the largest they make that can be unpowered, but ps5 games can be stored on an external drive just not booted (only from the ssd, internal, or the expansion thing).
I prefer the powered external drives coz am on an android tablet, and these things do not have enough power on the usb port to power a hardrive.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Holy cr@p! 16 TB!? Didn't know there's a 16Tb 2.5" Sata.

I have questions, Internal? Sata-2 or Sata-3? HDD or SSD?

the ps4 only supports 8GB internally or externally, so I think he's using 2 drives.

I am using 2 drives. An 8tb Internal 3.5" drive in a "Data Bank" accessory and an 8tb external mounted as extended storage.

However the data bank has a bit of a bad name down to random hdd issues and the like, but apparently if you get a good one you will be fine.
I recently finished my 3rd full game reinstall after 3 forced re-initialisations of the PS4 following KP's. First 2 were my fault. Third was just random.
However... after reading around and doing a bit of testing I seem to have tracked my issues down to Rest Mode.
It seems the data bank or the bigger 3.5" hdd dont like rest mode at all and after switching off all the options under rest mode settings and NOT using rest mode AT ALL for the past few days , I seem to now have a stable system.

I'm on an original white fat PS4 and from researching the max size hdd I could use before buying, I found out that the max is 16tb and only in the in the setup that I have. However this is only on fats, on slims and pros the total amount of storage you can have is less.

You can also only have one extended storage drive attached at a time I believe, but you should be able to have more than one drive and swap them out. May be wrong but its worth a try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: