Updating XCI/NSPs with Switch on lower firmware?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by XpertXP1, Aug 21, 2018.

1. XpertXP1
    OP

XpertXP1 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    United States
    Switch is on 4.1.0. I want to update some of my games but doing so tells me I need to update the FW of my Switch. Can these update files be adjusted to work on lower firmware?
    Thanks

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You can try installing them with Tinfoil using the ignore firmware requirement feature but not all updates will work on 5.1 even after using that feature

3. XpertXP1
    OP

XpertXP1 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    United States
    For instance, I want to install the latest mario kart update, when I do this, after I launch the game it tells me my system needs to be updated. Any way around that from happening?

4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    For technical reasons, this is currently impossible due to the new masterkey used for certain games and updates on 5.X. However, you can easily update without burning fuses so you can retain your 4.1 firmware while being able to install and play the update with this homebrew.

5. XpertXP1
    OP

XpertXP1 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    United States
    What about being on a lower firmware but have an XCI that requires a higher firmware, is there a tool that will adjust the firmware requirement on the XCI to enable it to play on a lower firmware switch? For instance, Octopath requires 5.0, im on 4.1.0.

Thanks!

6. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    there is on 3DS, not on Switch.

7. XpertXP1
    OP

XpertXP1 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    United States
    Ok cool. I see its doable with NSPs...was hoping something similar was available for XCIs

8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes, its called ChoiDujourNX ;)

No, the tool that bypasses the firmware requirement for NSPs just resets the required firmware version of the XML file in the NSP which corresponds to the latest firmware at the time the game was put on the eShop. Both .XCI and .NSP are encrypted with masterkeys that are unlocked on certain firmwares dictated by Ninty so the only way to reduce those required firmware versions is either by theoretically decrypting and then reencrypting the game files or somehow giving those keys artificially to the console.