Homebrew Updating with dowloaded Freeshop games

0Ne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just wanted to know if I update to the latest FW with already downloaded Freeshop games, will there be an issue or should Ii delete it before upddating?

chaitea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, there shouldn't be, freeshop does /not/ work anymore, but the 3DS isn't implementing the same online key system that the switch is now. You should be good to go unless someone's here to correct me heh. Google search before you trust me ;).

Reactions: 0Ne

xscaralienx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Kind of related. I'd like to know if it's safe to update games I downloaded with the freeshop. And on that same note, in case it is not safe, How do you update the games if you have the update file?

chaitea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of related. I'd like to know if it's safe to update games I downloaded with the freeshop. And on that same note, in case it is not safe, How do you update the games if you have the update file?
you'll most likely get the updates as a CIA. I honestly don't really understand how much NUS is still working, I was able to download a firmware version through it pretty recently, but I'm guessing there's some real verification stuff with purchased games and such now. Updates SHOULD be fine because updates are actively available to everyone, see cartridge owners who don't own a digital version on there account, but are running a cart bc either they bought it or a friend lent it or w/e.

lowkey this is a little close to the /banned/ discussion so chill lmao, but i do hope this helps.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You can simply update normally through the eshop, even with pirated games, as long as they are of the same region as your NNID account (trying to get updates for out-of-region games MAY get you flagged, although still unlikely) and is perfectly same as updates are irrelevant to whether you own a legit ticket for a title or not. For out-of-region games and all stuff in general, you can always update by finding the update CIAs online. That's all basically, for same region games, use the eshop, for everything else, use CIAs. HOWEVER, if you have DLC from FreeShop, SOME (varies by title) may have their tickets deleted if you access the eshop in any way (directly, through in-game versions of it, etc., generally connecting to eshop with an NNID), so if you have any of those, avoid the eshop and just use update CIAs for everything or backup DLC tickets that may be deleted and restore after the update.

Reactions: 0Ne

0Ne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ty it’s much appreciated to both you chaitea and ThoD. Also last question (s) it won’t matter if I transfer these titles to a new 3ds (FW 11.2) or delete the softwares like Freeshop, FBI,home brew launcher, or themely?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
you'll most likely get the updates as a CIA. I honestly don't really understand how much NUS is still working, I was able to download a firmware version through it pretty recently, but I'm guessing there's some real verification stuff with purchased games and such now. Updates SHOULD be fine because updates are actively available to everyone, see cartridge owners who don't own a digital version on there account, but are running a cart bc either they bought it or a friend lent it or w/e.

lowkey this is a little close to the /banned/ discussion so chill lmao, but i do hope this helps.
Hard to get updates as CIA when FreeShop etc. no longer works. Nintendo checks tickets even when downloading updates now.
That's more or less the only way to do it, because good luck finding all the latest updates in CIA format...
If you get an error when downloading an update from eShop like I did (error 009-2920), you have to delete the ticket of the update using FBI (you can use the title key site to find the title ID for the update, find it in the ticket list and delete it), then it will download. You'll get this issue if you've downloaded a game update with FreeShop in the past, since it uses fake tickets even for updates.
For out of region games, you can't download updates from eShop, so replace them with in-region versions if possible. Some games might be hard to find in the correct region, I spent most of yesterday looking for EUR CIA versions of all the games in had on my GW to finally migrate everything to CIA, but a couple of them I had to convert from .3ds. Luckily that's easy with 3dsconv if you put a boot9.bin or boot9_prot.bin dump in the same folder as 3dsconv, it can decrypt and convert them in just a few seconds without using a 3DS.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It came from someone's porch I have the receipt