Updating Windows 10 is like doing a brand new fresh install

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    While I do remember facing this issue before I find it absolutely unacceptable that Microsoft still remains on pushing out these updates that feel as though I'm doing a fresh install. It took a few hours to get it back to run again.

I really hate Windows 10 updates.

Once I change to Android I'm not gonna come back to Windows ever again.

2. NeoSlyde

NeoSlyde GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2015
    Macau
    Morocco
    The problem is between the keyboard and the chair

Memoir and CallmeBerto like this.
  3. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Always hated windows updates! :angry: I'm using a dual boot Windows7 / Linux (windows 7 just for gaming), and it takes a lifetime to install updates on Windows, plus I have to reboot at the end. On Linux, just a couple minutes, and everything is done, no reboot required. I see Microsoft has not improved with Windows 10.

4. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I scheduled the Windows Creator Update for while I was sleeping, at 11AM, and woke up at around 11:30, and it was already up to the point of doing the personal settings like the privacy shit. So if I was awake waiting, it wouldn't be that long, so it may depend on the PC itself. That being said, I didn't like them pushing cmd to a dark corner in favor of Powershell, and have just made it right, I prefer cmd. Other than that I haven't noticed any differences.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Linux allows you to modify files that are in use, Windows does not.
    There are pros and cons to either method.

6. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Did you just now install the Creator's update? Fun fact: that version of Windows 10 rejiggers the Windows Update process so future updates are far more seamless. before then it was just re-imaging itself

Memoir likes this.
  7. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I honestly don't feel sorry for people who whine about the updates. They're easy to work around, and are only intrusive if you're so stubborn as to think they'll hurt your computer.

kprovost7314 likes this.
  8. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    It doesn't hurt the computer (obviously) they just take far too long, on Windows XP and Windows 7 it was never this long.

9. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Sure it did. techncially we are on Windows 10 SP4 now, if we were to use the old namign system. Updatiung to the Creator's update is far less of a pain then it was to install Windows 7 SP1 - I basically had to force it as there was this one prerequisite that would never install, no mater which computer or config. Comaprted to that these updates are seamless.

10. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    It doesn't really bother me much honestly. The only problem I had was when I used to have a Windows phone and updates that seemed like they did nothing would take almost an hour to finish and I needed to use my phone to make calls and do important stuff. Now I've got a Samsung and I love it.
    I just install updates on my computer while I sleep, it's much easier although I do worry about my battery...

Last edited by Seliph, Jul 29, 2017
  11. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I honestly haven't experienced these long install times. At most it was up to 20 minutes.. Counting reboots. Even on a mechanical HDD. Again, it's easy to get around these issues if you just install during downtime. I haven't been inconvenienced by an update in over 8 years.. And that was with the Windows 7 beta.