Hacking Updating Wii U from 5.5.1 Haxchi + Rednand

FourFreedoms

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've had my Wii U disconnected in a closet since 2017 but would like to update it to the latest working CFW and OS, if there are no downsides. It doesn't look like there are from reading through the forums. If anyone could answer the following questions I would really appreciate it.

It looks like I have Haxchi installed + Rednand. All of my games are installed on an external hdd with a Y-Cable.

1. If I go from 5.5.1 to 5.5.4, does he MiiVerse icon disappear? And also, does the system still boot up to the Wara Wara Plaza (all of the mii characters hovering around tiles), or did they cut that out entirely?

2. Is it possible to update from 5.5.1 to 5.5.4 without having to reinstall all of my games?

3. Can I move my rednand information over to the CFW sysnand, or do I start from scratch?

4. Is there any downside to staying on 5.5.1 indefinitely?

If you were me, what would you suggest I do? If I can, I'd really like to avoid having to reinstall all of my software again.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've had my Wii U disconnected in a closet since 2017 but would like to update it to the latest working CFW and OS, if there are no downsides. It doesn't look like there are from reading through the forums. If anyone could answer the following questions I would really appreciate it.

It looks like I have Haxchi installed + Rednand. All of my games are installed on an external hdd with a Y-Cable.

1. If I go from 5.5.1 to 5.5.4, does he MiiVerse icon disappear? And also, does the system still boot up to the Wara Wara Plaza (all of the mii characters hovering around tiles), or did they cut that out entirely?

2. Is it possible to update from 5.5.1 to 5.5.4 without having to reinstall all of my games?

3. Can I move my rednand information over to the CFW sysnand, or do I start from scratch?

4. Is there any downside to staying on 5.5.1 indefinitely?

If you were me, what would you suggest I do? If I can, I'd really like to avoid having to reinstall all of my software again.
1. The MiiVerse icon will not disappear, but it is useless regardless since MiiVerse was shutdown. The Wii U still boots to the plaza, but none of the Mii characters are from the internet.

2. Yes. Just update in the system settings.

3. Probably, but I have no experience with redNAND since there was never any real need for it. Since brick recovery is virtually nonexistent on the Wii U without a hardmod, I personally wouldn't touch the sysNAND system files by overwriting them with files from the redNAND. Instead, I would manually reinstall any important games to the sysNAND, and I would backup and restore any important save files.

4. You cannot normally use the eShop on 5.5.1, which means you cannot download game updates from the eShop, but you can run NNU-Patcher to use the eShop on 5.5.1.

If I were you, I'd reinstall all of my software again rather than risk a brick.

Reactions: Alexander1970

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
3. You can also move the content (or at least the save files) from redNAND to a USB drive before doing the update. But really don't do the update with redNAND active.

FourFreedoms

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both for your replies. At the risk of of sounding like a complete noob, is there a way to verify rednand is active? I thought I had it installed, but my vWii is working fine. Some other thread said the virtual Wii doesn't work at all with Rednand. If that's the case, I'm already using sysnandCFW? Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything to brick the system.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Boot your Wii U. While booting it should show "Autobooting..." - Press Home while this message is shown and you should see a menu like this:
Code:
Boot System Menu
Boot Homebrew Launcher
Boot Mocha CFW
Boot fw.img on SD Card
Boot vWii System Menu
Boot vWii Homebrew Channel
Autoboot: XYZ
The XYZ at the last line, when it's "Mocha CFW" turn the consol off, put the SD card into your PC and open the file wiiu/apps/mocha/config.ini. Show us its content.
When the XYZ is "System Menu" you don't have redNAND active.

Last edited by V10lator,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: uoiea