Updating Wii from 'Softmii 2' config to latest tools/hacks

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Hanks6, May 25, 2010.

1. Hanks6
    OP

Member Hanks6 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    hi, i didn't want to post this in the newbie question topic cause there might be a number of people that infos could be helpful to and i'm not a complete newbie or anything, just want to get it 100% right when i mess around with the Wii again.

my question was what is the best and/or easiest way to about fully updating my Wii for all new games etc from a 'Softmii 2' config? delayed looking into this as much as possible, but with SMG2 out, that's it. also missing out on the cool USB/SD card loading options. there are a number of new tools and things since then and as I have already have HBC channel, bit confused as to where it would be safe to start using as all-in-one guides etc. I have used the Softmii 2.1.1 pack/guide to install various things onto my system, also:

- Gecko Loader (old version installed as a channel)
    - A few Virtual Channel downloads, some legit and some not legit (listed this because I remember something in the Softmii 3 guide saying you had to clean out certain stuff before installing certain new tools/updates)
    - a cIOS38 rev 13 update - not sure if this did anything but I put it on before playing Wii Sports Resort.

at the moment all games that work work through the disc channel (except for NSTC with no progressive mode) and part of the softmii pack included the ability to play gamecube backups/multi-region titles, a feature that i use a lot. I have a rough idea of what the latest tools and things are, but a bit unsure as to the order I could safely install them, and if any 'cleaning' up would be needed beforehand.

- Bootmii - new thing that seems be used by all the latest guides/hacks. Guesing I would need this, but not any initial exploits as I already have HBC.
    - Preloader - have preloader currently installed, but a very old version. Important that particular options like region free are unchecked because the other hacks that enable these already.
    - CiosCorp - some old version of this, my understanding is that this installed a lot of stuff that makes most things possible. Been reading about a new DarkCios that has been released, guessing this would definitely be part of updating my Wii.
    - Neogamma - seems to be the go-to backup loader, assume this need to be put on.
    Firmware - on modified 3.2E, I presume part of the most recent hacks would involve getting to 4.1 or 4.2 and there is a particular method/tools to achieve this while retaining all functionalities.

think that's about it. if anyone who really knows what's up could give me some clear advice on what I might need to do and in what order, or what guides would be safe to follow from particular points, would be very much appreciated. I would like to be 100% certain that I know what I'm doing, why and the exact order so that nothing goes wrong and I can help out other people who have the same config as me.

2. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
  3. Hanks6
    OP

United Kingdom
    cheers i've been looking over that guide for quite a while now. just checking out the most updated version. i'm just worried that i might need to delete or uninstall some of my existing stuff before all that will go 100% smoothly - like my old preloader and cioscorp, cMIOS loader or VC games.

if i can just follow that guide over the top of the my current config, that should not be a problem at all. just seeking some reassurance.

4. changeling

Newcomer changeling Member

United States
    Nothing should need to be deleted or uninstalled. You should be able to just update/overwrite things.

First thing to do before anything else is to install bootmii and get a NAND backup. Sounds like you have an older wii so hopefully you can install as boot2.

My wii was similar to yours for a long time..3.2U with softmii 2.1.1 (which is basically just cIOSCORP). I started by installing bootmii to get a backup before changing anything else, then used AnyRegionChanger to install a clean system menu 3.2. Then followed the stickied guide.

I *think* you should be able to just follow the guide to update to 4.2 without using anyregionchanger first and then go from there. Again...first thing get a NAND backup in case you run in to any problems.

5. Hanks6
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks! very helpful. i believe i already made a nand backup when initially doing the mods, but i will certainly do another one with bootmii from this current config. presume bootmii is installable from the HBC or does it need to be put on along with the other apps using bannerbomb from the second step in the guide? and yeah 'tis an old wii, bought on day one.

can anyone else chime in whether its worthwhile to change back to a clean 3.2E from my modified 3.2 before proceeding with the updates and rest of the guide?

should i bother to delete/clean up my VC games beforehand too?

and will having darkcios mean i need/can have particular priiiloader hacks turned off.

6. changeling

United States
    Yes, you can install bootmii from the HBC. It's called the "hackmii" installer and can actually install the HBC and DVDx as well. Just set it up in your "apps" folder and run it like any other app. Bannerbomb is actually only for use with system menu 4.0 and newer I believe.

Link: http://bootmii.org/download/

Look for the boot.elf file in that archive, rename it to boot.dol and put it in your apps folder.

You shouldn't need to worry about your VC games. They shouldn't cause any problems or be affected by upgrading and re-modding.

The most important priiloader hacks are "block disc updates" and "block online updates", so no one accidentally updates your wii.

Good luck and don't worry too much!

7. Hanks6
    OP

United Kingdom
    brilliant, confident for an attempt now! [​IMG]

last thing, it's correct that you install bootmii twice in the procedure? in my case using bannerbomb on the second run only.

8. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you have HBC already, you won't need bannerbomb at all. Just run the hackmii installer from the HBC like changeling said.

Also, what exactly do you mean by installing bootmii twice? You only need to run hackmii installer once. When you run it, install HBC, DVDX, Bootmii as Boot2 (if the wii supports it), and bootmii as IOS.

9. changeling

United States
    If you update via the method in the stickied guide (installing all the individual IOS'es and the system menu) you shouldn't need to reinstall bootmii or the HBC as it won't remove them. It's up to you if you want to make another NAND backup once you're on 4.2. In any case I'd advise copying your NAND backup(s) (keys.bin, nand.bin and the bootmii folder) to a safe place on your computer for safekeeping, then delete or rename the bootmii folder on your SD card if you don't want to see the bootmii menu every time you start up your wii [​IMG]

Edit: Hey, actually just to make sure your bootmii installation is still intact, don't rename the folder until after you're done updating to 4.2, then make sure you still power on into the bootmii menu. It should be fine though.

10. Hanks6
    OP

United Kingdom
    yeah about installing it twice i was just mis-interpreting the guide, realising that the modify stage is also written for people who are starting from 4.2 having not already done the previous stuff. only other thing i needed not mentioned already was the DOP-Mi utility to add a couple of IOS before the bootmii installer would work.

it's all done now. bootmii still loads up fine when the files are on the memcard [​IMG]

and i'm playing mario galaxy 2 [​IMG]

thanks for the advices. disc channel obviously not working again, will just need to look into putting the darkcorp on. i think i read that users of early cioscorp versions would need to uninstall it beforehand.

11. changeling

United States
    Cool, glad it worked for you.

I'm not sure about darkcorp. I'm mainly using USB loaders these days, so I never looked into it.

12. vegemikee

Member vegemikee GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    just remember that 'uninstalling' cioscorp doesnt necessarily mean 'uninstalling' said IOS'. youve gotta reinstall over them... just in case you forgot [​IMG]