Updating to 4.5 via Download and Play

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Loko4, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Loko4
    OP

Loko4 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2011
    Brazil
    Hi, my cousin get today a 3ds in 1.0.0.0U so the only option to update to 4.x is via a cartridge since he cannot update using a cartridge 5x or more than downgrade because his browser wont work yet.

I right now dont have a cartridge in 4.x. However Luigi's Mansion - Dark Moon and Mario Tennis has a option of play together using Download and Play.

I'm planning use my 3ds with gateway to update his using this function, anyone know if it is possible?

2. MrStoni

MrStoni Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    This is a quote from gamefaqs: "If you are using a retail Game Card with Download Play and a client system has a system version older than what the Game Card update is, the Game Card update will be sent to the client. This doesn't occur with downloaded titles (you'll be told to update from the System Settings in that case)."

here is the thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/70449283

Loko4 likes this.
  3. Loko4
    OP

Loko4 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2011
    Brazil
    Thanks so if I use Gateway 3ds, and a a rom like Mario tennis in .3ds or .3dz should be considered like a cartridge.

If I use Gateway 3ds and Mario tennis in .cia format should considered like a download game, right?

I'm asking to know if anyone already tried.

4. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    It doesn't transfer any update pack.
    It just reminds you upgrading firmware to that version.
    If it worked, we would have already widely used it for a long time.

5. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    Nope, it will update your system to the version on the game's cart. See: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Download_Play#Remote_Distribution_of_System-Updates

That being said, make sure you don't add any wifi connections before doing this just in case.

6. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    OK. I have sold all my retail carts with DL play enhanced so I can't confirm what you say is correct or not.
    For every Download Play Enhanced 3DSware, it just reminds something but doesn't transfer anything.

7. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Wouldn't the partial update just be transmitted? The partial one is what's stored on the cart, why would it be different at all?

8. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    my question is how, in 2015, your cousin found a 1.0.0.0U 3DS

9. Drak0rex

Drak0rex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Why not just use the game card to update it instead of dickin around with download play?

10. Loko4
    OP

Loko4 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2011
    Brazil
    Nice hint, I will be sure to check that.

I thought the same, he bought used so the last owner probably didnt played a lot

Edit: Dont work, ask for update but will never finish the update