Homebrew Question Updating System Firmware With Daybreak

R4ismychildhood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. This is the first time I update my EmuMMC system firmware. I'm following the guide on https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/ and I'm confused at this step:

Updating your emuMMC with Daybreak
1.In Hekate go to Launch -> Atmosphere FSS0 Emu.

As I always use Atmosphere CFW instead of this Atmosphere FSS0 EmuMMC, do I launch Atmosphere CFW to access Daybreak instead? Is there a difference and will the firmware in Atmosphere FSS0 Emu be updated too? Sorry Switch hacking is a bit advanced for me. Thank you.

Last edited by R4ismychildhood,

R4ismychildhood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You have to look at your hekate.ipl if there is a config set to emunand.
It looks like this:

[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=3
backlight=30
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=1
bootprotect=0
{------ Atmosphere ------}
[Atmosphere CFW]
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee-primary.bin
icon=bootlogo.bmp
{}
[Atmosphere FSS0 EmuMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin
kip1=atmosphere/kips/*
emummcforce=1
icon=bootloader/res/emu_boot.bmp
{}
[Atmosphere FSS0 SYS]
kip1=atmosphere/kips/*
emummc_force_disable=1
icon=bootloader/res/sys_cfw_boot.bmp
{}
{-------- Stock ---------}
[Stock SYS]
stock=1
emummc_force_disable=1
icon=bootloader/res/stock_boot.bmp

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[Atmosphere CFW]
icon=bootlogo.bmp
{}

[Atmosphere FSS0 EmuMMC]
kip1=atmosphere/kips/*
emummcforce=1
{}

[Atmosphere FSS0 SYS]
kip1=atmosphere/kips/*
emummc_force_disable=1
{}

It looks like [Atmosphere CFW] is set to emunand for fusee primary, if you have an emunand. [Atmosphere FSS0 EmuMMC] is for Fss0 build emunand, and [Atmosphere FSS0 SYS] is sysnand CFW

R4ismychildhood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[Atmosphere CFW]
icon=bootlogo.bmp
{}

[Atmosphere FSS0 EmuMMC]
kip1=atmosphere/kips/*
emummcforce=1
{}

[Atmosphere FSS0 SYS]
kip1=atmosphere/kips/*
emummc_force_disable=1
{}

It looks like [Atmosphere CFW] is set to emunand for fusee primary, if you have an emunand. [Atmosphere FSS0 EmuMMC] is for Fss0 build emunand, and [Atmosphere FSS0 SYS] is sysnand CFW
So do I update through the Daybreak in Atmosphere CFW or Atmosphere FSS0 EmuMMC? Thank you.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So do I update through the Daybreak in Atmosphere CFW or Atmosphere FSS0 EmuMMC? Thank you.

Doesn't matter, just that you have to use the correct CFW setup along with the correct patches setup, if you use like SD setup, deepsea, you use Fss0 build. Vanilla atmosphere use fusee-primary.bin, so it depends on your setup and patches, vanilla atmosphere with hekate patches your games won't boot. Base on your config it seem like you use fss0/hekate build.

R4ismychildhood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't matter, just that you have to use the correct CFW setup along with the correct patches setup, if you use like SD setup, deepsea, you use Fss0 build. Vanilla atmosphere use fusee-primary.bin, so it depends on your setup and patches, vanilla atmosphere with hekate patches your games won't boot. Base on your config it seem like you use fss0/hekate build.
I see. I use vanilla Atmosphere, which fusee-primary.bin and sigpatches from fusee.zip from https://github.com/ITotalJustice/patches/releases.

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am aiming for a similar thing:
I have FW 11.0 and can load Atmosphere 0.19.5 with my rcmloader (which uses the fusée primary bin).
What do I have to do in Daybreak to upgrade to FW 12.1 without problems?

I am a bit lost with this, since I always used choixdujour in SXOS for updating my FW.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't follow the advices above, you don't need hekate at all ! (but can use it if you want, or are used to)
BUT, you should first update your Hekate+AMS before updating the console's firmware. if you update the firmware to one which Atmosphere is not compatible with (yet), then you'll have issue booting after the update is done.

If you are used to ChoixdujourNX, then daybreak is similar : choose your update file, and let it update. nothing different to fear. It just uses a different (official) and safer internal method to update.

If you want, you can make an emuMMC partition backup (I'm sure you didn't for a long time). inject hekate payload to manage partition backup.
If you want to update sysMMC using daybreak (if you are banned and can't update online), follow the same guide when being on sysMMC.

PC:
1) you need to get the update files (usually comes in archive format, zip, 7z, etc.), extract the content to an empty folder on your SD card.
2) Update atmosphere files too !! you will be in a new firmware, so be sure you have updated version of atmosphere, compatible with the targeted version.
3) update the patches too if you want/need to. Attention, each new version of Atmosphere requires specific updated version of the patches. compare the "build hash" on the patch version against AMS zip package filename.

Console:
Boot into atmosphere as you usually do.
Go to system settings > console version, verify you are in the correct mode you want to update (AMS E for emuMMC, and AMS S for sysMMC).
Launch the homebrew menu by holding R while launching a game.
launch Daybreak homebrew (bundled with atmosphere, no need to download or install it).

Daybreak:
Locate your folder where you extracted and copied the firmware files.
it will verify the files presence and checksum and if everything is fine lets you continue.
Choose whether you want only FAT32 support, or FAT32+ExFAT (usually, choose that one even if you don't intend to use exFAT, better have both).
Be sure you have enough battery power (not 3%...) or plug your charger, or put your console on the stand (you can update on TV), Click Continue...
it will install the files to the console, verify and ask you whether you want to reboot or shutdown.

I prefer "shutdown", so I can use my RCM clip to go back to atmosphere, no fear that the console will boot without RCM's atmosphere injection.
If you have AutoRCM, or a modchip, you can choose reboot.
note: in fact, at this point, I don't know if it reboots the console, or launches "reboot_to_payload" after an update.

The console reboots and apply the update. If you updated sysMMC and boot the console officially (without Hekate or any CFW), then the firmware fuses are burned.
at this point, if you are on emuMMC and your sysMMC is outdated, you will be presented to an error message and/or blackscreen right away if you have a game card inserted ! press power or home to wakeup the console back.
don't panic, that's normal. this is the "no_gc" (no game card) option from Atmosphere. Detecting a different fuse number from the expected one in the new firmware version, AMS blocks the access to the game card slot to prevent burning the game card slot fuses.

either :
burn your fuses : update your sysMMC, if you can and are not banned, do it officially. or else use daybreak on sysMMC too. reboot sysMMC and let the console burn all the fuses.
Note: launching sysMMC using a payload (hekate, ams) will skip burning frmware fuses. this is different than gamecard fuses.
or
burn only GC fuses : disable the no_gc flag in AMS settings, to burn only the gamecard fuse. attention, sysMMC with a different firmware version will not be able to use the gamecard.
or
remove the gamecard if you don't play any.
or
press "ok... continue" on the warning screen after each wake up of the screen, but the gamecard slot will be disabled.

Personally, I go with the first choice.
I update sysMMC officially (AFTER checking the current OFW available online is identical to the one installed on emuMMC!!) and let the console burn all the fuses. I don't need to keep my console on outdated fuse as I don't plan to downgrade to access hypothetical unreleased soft exploits on outdated firmwares (who works and would release a 1.0.0 firmware exploit when nobody can find such consoles anymore?). I just use RCM and fusee. If I really want to downgrade, I'll use hekate to launch, it'll bypass the fuse check anyway.

Last edited by Cyan,

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Many thanks for the comprehensive explanations!!
So if I am in "AMS S" and starting Daybreak in the homebrew menu, I will update my sysMMC and burn all the fuses, which prevents me from downgrading, right? But if I can live with this, I just do this and that´s it? So after updating in Daybreak I choose shutdown and restart Atmosphere the usual way with my rcmloader and pin?

Btw, for which purpose you use emuMMC?

Last edited by jnl1,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Many thanks for the comprehensive explanations!!
So if I am in "AMS S" and starting Daybreak in the homebrew menu, I will update my sysMMC and burn all the fuses, which prevents me from downgrading, right? But if I can live with this, I just do this and that´s it? So after updating in Daybreak I choose shutdown and restart Atmosphere the usual way with my rcmloader and pin?
Yes.

Btw, for which purpose you use emuMMC?
To prevent yourself from damaging files stored on NAND and keeping all your actions that Nintendo may not like separate from sysmmc.
So often it looks like that:
sysmmc - using it for online stuff like multiplayer or buying eshop games, not using CFW without a good reason to prevent sending any reports because they may be suspicious for Nintendo
emummc - everything else

Reactions: jnl1

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Updating worked great, thanks for your support!

Just one more question: when do I need the "bootloader" folder of the sigpatches.zip-file?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So if I am in "AMS S" and starting Daybreak in the homebrew menu, I will update my sysMMC and burn all the fuses, which prevents me from downgrading, right?
Not exactly.

The fuses are burned at console reboot.
At console boot, the console launches a "payload booter" to load horizon.
This is the "payload booter" which verify if the current fuse number matches the required burned fuse of the Horizon's firmware version it will load.
If the firmware requires a higher burned fuses than you currently have, the payload booter will burn them before booting Horizon.

If the current burned fuses are higher than the requested number of fuse, then the payload refuse to boot Horizon.

If you use Hekate, or fusée primary as your payload booter, it does NOT burn any fuses.
only "stock" (official, no patches) payload does.

as long as you use RCM and a homebrew payload, your firmware fuses are not burned.
the first time you'll launch your console officially on sysMMC without using RCM, it'll burn them.

I updated the guide to include the burning fuse step.

If you ever want to downgrade, I think Hekate let you check how much fuses are burned, and you can see how back you can downgrade if you want to boot "officially". because, remember that booting with hekate or CFW, it doesn't care how much fuses you have, whether it's too much or not enough.

The only issue you can have with mismatching fuse number is the "game card" slot fuse.

Just one more question: when do I need the "bootloader" folder of the sigpatches.zip-file?
This is a folder used by Hekate.
It contains sig Patches for the fss0 boot method (instead of fusée primary boot method)
The patches are now bundled together, whether you boot with hekate fss0 or (hekate+)fuséeprimary, both patching method are in the same zip file. The "bootloader" folder is not needed if you don't use fss0 boot method. Whether you copy that folder and its files to your SD card or not has no consequence if you use fusée primary. do like you prefer, keep it or not.

edit: oops, to late :P
edit2: I added extra info.

Last edited by Cyan,

MarkusAntonius

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I haven't done any modding in a while and have never updated firmware (currently 4.1.0) I would like to retain the fuses if at all possible. However, I use a precarious piece of bent wire and tend to fail to enter RCM about 1 in 5 times.

I gather in this case it is inevitable that I'm going to burn fuses unless I get a jig that works 100% of the time?

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I haven't done any modding in a while and have never updated firmware (currently 4.1.0) I would like to retain the fuses if at all possible. However, I use a precarious piece of bent wire and tend to fail to enter RCM about 1 in 5 times.

I gather in this case it is inevitable that I'm going to burn fuses unless I get a jig that works 100% of the time?
AutoRCM is your friend

Reactions: MarkusAntonius

MarkusAntonius

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
AutoRCM is your friend
I did consider this but was turned off by the bad rep this had a few years back for potential link to bricked consoles. I assume this has been resolved since? I can't remember what the issue was but I think it was related to consoles running out of battery while in autorcm

Edit: Ok, I've done a bit more research into it and it looks like AutoRCM is likely the best solution. I might look into getting a reliable jig just in case though. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by MarkusAntonius,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y