Hacking Updating SXOS V1.9 to V2.0, anything broken ?

D

Deleted User

I have My hero academia.nsp with the english patch (custom nsp). It's not working after SX OS 2.0. I went back to SX OS 1.9 and it's still working. It may be the case with other modified .nsp files.

der:Tom

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
If you´re still on 5.1 then there´s no reason to update to sxos2.0, if your switch is already 6.0 and you want layeredFS then you have to use sxos2.0 (you can still use 1.9 to boot the few games that won´t work)

Reactions: Connorsdad

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you supposed to update the emunand? E.g. Create emunand, go online with it, update it? Or are you supposed to update the original firmware (after creating a backup)?

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've read:
  • Attempting to boot SX OS on a 3.X console won't work - you'll have to downgrade to 1.9.
  • Attempting to update 2.0's "Emunand" will also crash the console and in some cases, requires you to restore a NAND backup.
  • LayeredFS seems to be quite... crashy/very unstable in certain titles with 2.0.
  • If on 6.0 and updated to 2.0 - there's a sleep mode bug where your Switch won't actually wake up and requires a hard reset.

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah LayeredFS is a MESS on SX OS 2.0, crashing and causing weird stuff left and right. Simply reverting to 1.9 fixed almost every weird issue I was running into.

It's activated by default and currently no way to turn it off. I expect that will change in 2.1 as many of us aren't even touching it with SX OS but are getting crashed by it.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bugs are inevitable but damn, it's like they didn't even test any of the functionality of v2.0.

Now I don't want to start a flame war between SX lovers and haters (there's enough of those as it stands) but they've not bug checked their last 4 releases just so they can rush it out (great example - the 3 SX updates which were released when 6.0 was leaked).

There's also a tweet from Rei where he mentions purposefully commiting broken code because he knew TX would steal it. He commited the working code after 2.0 was released so this may become a more common trend as TX "borrows" code from public repos (without due credit) without actually:
  1. Knowing what the code does.
  2. Blindly copy-pasting it - assuming it works when it's actually purposefully broken but they can't fix it because they don't know what it does/how to fix it.
  3. Doing the bare minimum to test this code just so they can rush the update out the door ( as a programmer by education and job - do you not take pride in your work, TX?)
I wouldn't be surprised if future SX releases are as buggy as 2.0 as more and more projects purposefully spike their code, before fixing it after TX releases an update just to spite them.

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if future SX releases are as buggy as 2.0 as more and more projects purposefully spike their code, before fixing it after TX releases an update just to spite them.

I wouldn't be surprised either... judging from the maturity level displayed by some of the "free" developers on this forum I am not surprised at all if they are doing something so lame. Instead of everyone sharing knowledge to screw Nin they are playing little teen drama games with each other and purposely sabotaging the scene because some people happen to make money from putting out a popular WORKING real product. The same ones sabotaging are the same ones who haven't put out an official release since Feb.

Last edited by Albytrozz,

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised either... judging from the maturity level displayed by some of the "free" developers on this forum I am not surprised at all if they are doing something so lame. Instead of everyone sharing knowledge to screw Nin they are playing little teen drama games with each other and purposely sabotaging the scene because some people happen to make money from putting out a popular WORKING real product. The same ones sabotaging are the same ones who haven't put out an official release since Feb.
Lame? That's awesome! Why the fuck should any of these "free developers" sit back and watch their time and effort be taken and used for someone else to profit from? How about you go to work and give me your whole paycheck. That's fair right?

And sabotage the scene? The developers that do this shit for free are the scene! SX OS wouldn't even be close to as good as it is right now(and it's not even that good) without the information and programs discoved and made by these "free developers".

Reactions: Flying Scotsman

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
Lame? That's awesome! Why the fuck should any of these "free developers" sit back and watch their time and effort be taken and used for someone else to profit from? How about you go to work and give me your whole paycheck. That's fair right?

And sabotage the scene? The developers that do this shit for free are the scene! SX OS wouldn't even be close to as good as it is right now(and it's not even that good) without the information and programs discoved and made by these "free developers".
If any of this is true they are hurting people who bought or have SX OS "hacked" by a 3rd party and don't come here o know the scene. It's childish, they needed to crack SX OS and release it or copy all it's features, that's cool, not fucking other people's switches, again, if it's real that the 2.0 release it's bugged because of spiked code

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If any of this is true they are hurting people who bought or have SX OS "hacked" by a 3rd party and don't come here o know the scene. It's childish, they needed to crack SX OS and release it or copy all it's features, that's cool, not fucking other people's switches, again, if it's real that the 2.0 release it's bugged because of spiked code

It works both ways - if TX stops "borrowing" code and either credits the original authors, or makes it themselves then this wouldn't be an issue. If TX continue - well, you know who to blame and it won't be the original authors; they're protecting their own hard work after all. I'd also go as far to say by spiking their code, they're not "fucking other people's switches" over. They're breaking a feature, yes, but we're still a long way away from bricking the Switch on purpose (ala R4 clone cards and Gateway before). What I mentioned is purely a broken feature TX stole the code to, which is fixable and doesn't actually prevent you using your device at all (and in most features like LFS - will probably affect ~10% of total users max).

Personally, I understand why devs spike their code and I'd personally do the same if I knew someone was making bank off my time and work, without even doing the grateful thing and crediting me (it's free for god's sake!). I wouldn't go as far as to damage devices, but I would make my displeasure at getting my work shamelessly taken without any word by just breaking said feature and stopping at that (as other Switch devs have done). It would be that or take everything private so no one can use it (if you can't be courteous, you can't have in other words).

Should also mention - if they're lazy enough not to test the code they've pasted in, then they don't deserve your money. From what i've read of the commits, we're talking 1 - 2 bytes off an offset. That's incredibly easy to spot if they put the time into testing to see if said code actually ran, but from what I've read - they seem to just have copy, pasted and pressed "compile" and that's it. Out the door! If anything, you should be questioning their programming ability if they were lazy enough not to spot that as it may spread to bigger, and worse things (i.e pasting in code which has a high chance of banning the system etc).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can understand where they're coming from (I've had personal projects ripped apart and rebranded by some twat before who soaks up all credit so I know first hand how it feels) and I actually agree with what they're doing. If you're not capable enough to fix said broken code, maybe programming isn't something you should be doing (we're talking simple things here. Offsets which need updating etc).

Also remember - SX OS is closed source, while the other projects who are protecting their work are open. If anything, TX are keeping the knowledge to screw Ninty to themselves (i.e XCI loader) while other projects TX are shamelessly taking code from are the ones doing the real innovation (like Tinfoil or ReiNX). Can't innovate if you don't share the knowledge.

Also the one's doing the sabotage is Rei at the moment. He's put out a lot of working releases since Feb (including 1.7 earlier this week). Other devs may follow however.

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
It works both ways - if TX stops "borrowing" code and either credits the original authors, or makes it themselves then this wouldn't be an issue. If TX continue - well, you know who to blame and it won't be the original authors; they're protecting their own hard work after all. I'd also go as far to say by spiking their code, they're not "fucking other people's switches" over. They're breaking a feature, yes, but we're still a long way away from bricking the Switch on purpose (ala R4 clone cards and Gateway before). What I mentioned is purely a broken feature TX stole the code to, which is fixable and doesn't actually prevent you using your device at all (and in most features like LFS - will probably affect ~10% of total users max).

Personally, I understand why devs spike their code and I'd personally do the same if I knew someone was making bank off my time and work, without even doing the grateful thing and crediting me (it's free for god's sake!). I wouldn't go as far as to damage devices, but I would make my displeasure at getting my work shamelessly taken without any word by just breaking said feature and stopping at that (as other Switch devs have done). It would be that or take everything private so no one can use it (if you can't be courteous, you can't have in other words).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can understand where they're coming from (I've had personal projects ripped apart and rebranded by some twat before who soaks up all credit so I know first hand how it feels) and I actually agree with what they're doing. If you're not capable enough to fix said broken code, maybe programming isn't something you should be doing (we're talking simple things here. Offsets which need updating etc).

Also remember - SX OS is closed source, while the other projects who are protecting their work are open. If anything, TX are keeping the knowledge to screw Ninty to themselves (i.e XCI loader) while other projects TX are shamelessly taking code from are the ones doing the real innovation (like Tinfoil or ReiNX). Can't innovate if you don't share the knowledge.

Also the one's doing the sabotage is Rei at the moment. He's put out a lot of working releases since Feb (including 1.7 earlier this week). Other devs may follow however.
I understand where they are coming from, I'm just saying they should have cracked or released everything they did free, why isn't there a copy of SX OS if they stole code? XCI mounting ? Developers should hurt TX not the public that uses SX OS is all I'm saying.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand where they are coming from, I'm just saying they should have cracked or release everything they did free, why isn't there a copy of SX OS if they stole code? XCI ? Developers should hurt TX note the public that uses SX OS is all I'm saying.

Initially, a few of SX's features (ES patches for example) were ripped from SX-OS, but as TX started taking from open source projects more and more (i.e RomMenu is Tinfoil with a different GUI) - there wasn't a need to reverse engineer SX-OS as they didn't change (or didn't change much) the open source code, so there was nothing to take from SX as we already had the original source. The only thing left is XCI loading but with XCI -> NSP converters, that seemed to have been pushed to the side.

I've heard of a few people with private cracked SX OS but after Tinfoil and ES patches on ReiNX, a lot of people just gave up and started using ReiNX instead as it's pretty close to SX-OS apart from XCI loading (which I hear is close to being finished). There's just no demand in cracking it anymore when there's free CFW which does pretty much the same, and without the risk a crack may create (like the brick code...).

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then TX needs to do some legwork of their own and read up on all the Switch documentation and implement their own code. What if the devs made their code closed source? Would it be the fault of the "free developers" that SX OS doesn't work right?

Last edited by BL4Z3D247,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls