Tystuh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a wii on 4.1U

I really don't remember the last time i messed with hacks, or homebrew.

I have found a complete guide on the internets on how to hack 4.3 BUT I WOULD LIKE TO START FROM SCRATCH

so how can i restore my system safely to 4.3 OFFICIAL while deleting all of my homebrew and custom crap?

Thanks for understanding my astonishing noobness.

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a wii on 4.1U

I have found a complete guide on the internets on how to hack 4.3 BUT I WOULD LIKE TO START FROM SCRATCH

so how can i restore my system safely to 4.3 OFFICIAL while deleting all of my homebrew and custom crap?

i would recommend to go download modmii and tell it what you have it will update all your hacks. there is little point to update your wii officially.
you shouldnt have to start from scratch.

Tystuh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, i just "re-hack" my wii it says.
put in my system menu and optionally set up usb loader and what not.
sound right?

and how safe is modmii?

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, i just "re-hack" my wii it says.
put in my system menu and optionally set up usb loader and what not.
sound right?

and how safe is modmii?

There are benefits in updating to 4.3 like IOS58 for USB 2.0 loading in homebrew apps (yes you can get it without 4.3, but it does come with it) and using the store.

Modmii itself is safe, I can't think of a way to brick yourself using the wizard GUI. Modmii is just a PC app that gets the stuff you need to hack a wii. It's not a hacking method of its own, it just compiles the popular methods and gives you a guide so you don't have to scour the internet reading through tons of out of date material.

You won't lose homebrew when updating to 4.3. Updating to 4.3 removes:
-Homebrew Channel if not up to date (but not any apps on your SD card or USB device)[the homebrew channel should be reinstalled after getting IOS58 anyways, that way the homebrew channel will have usb 2.0 support]
-cIOSes (but modmii will replace those anyways)
-NOTHING ELSE!! (you keep any custom channels you've installed, any virtual console or wii ware titles you've installed by wads, no need to worry)

Tystuh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright thanks i have almost everything complete.

just a couple more things to make my wii perfect.

(1). I tried to install DIVDX or whatever to be able to play dvd's but i got an install error. (I DOWNLOADED IT FROM HOMEBREW BROWSER) (currently bootmii gives me the option to "uninstall divdx")

(2.) Copied games wont run from the disc channel, it recognizes them and i hit play and i get an error #002
-----Games run from NeoGamma
- I have neo gamma as a channel from back when and on the bottom it says "Neogamma R9 B47 IOS249 REV 21008"

so how can i make games run from disc channel and is there a new neogamma i need?

Aractus

Trophies
Website
blog.aractus.com
XP
Country
Sorry, I thought you said you updated from 4.1 > 4.3? From what I've read, the disc channel cannot load from DVD-R, you will always receive an error. Do you have a modchip? If not, you probably have to re-install Darkcorp as updating your Wii would have replaced the IOS's with the originals. Be aware that Darkcorp modifies your system IOS's...

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DVDX is dead, and has been for a long time. It is no longer needed. If your wii is old enough to be able to read burnt discs, they should work fine for whatever applications use them. DarkCorp does allow you to load games from the disc channel, but I wouldn't recommend it. Instead just deal with using NeoGamma. (if you use an autoboot channel it is pretty much like loading from the disc channel anyway).

Really though, usb loading is the way to go. Faster load times, no need to get up and switch discs all the time, a nice interface for selecting your games, and it doesn't wear down your disc drive. There are no negatives!

Tystuh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do you mean there is no need for DVDX?

you mean people dont need their wii for dvd's or theres another way to play dvds?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copied games (DVD-R) will not work from the disc-channel from 4.3 even with a modchip...

wrong yes they will its called Cioscorps/Darkcorps

you mean people dont need their wii for dvd's or theres another way to play dvds?

people dont use ther wii's to play dvd movies and any wii manufactured 2009 and up cant read burnt disc's or retail dvd movies and DVDX died along with HBC v1.0.7 or it was 1.0.8

I have a wii on 4.1U

there is no reason to go past 4.1 nothing in 4.2 and up because u can install all that on 4.1

Aractus

Trophies
Website
blog.aractus.com
XP
Country
i think ill deal with what i have then if you have to warn me.

It's probably better to boot your backups from a loader rather than the channel. If you want to use the disc channel you can install Darkcorp, the warning is just make sure you have bootmii installed as boot2 first, and that will provide you with brick protection (you can make a config file on your SD card so that you never see it and it boots straight to the system menu). If you have Bootmii as boot2 you don't have to worry about being bricked by not being able to boot the system menu.

person66

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Homebrew Channel v1.0.7 replaced DVDX. See here: http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/DVDX
DVDX - WiiBrew said:
This application [DVDX] has been made redundant by Homebrew Channel. Homebrew Channel has the same features as this application plus more, or with more bug fixes. This application should only be used if there is a special reason to (e.g. if Homebrew Channel is unstable or has more requirements).

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
alright thanks i have almost everything complete.

just a couple more things to make my wii perfect.

(1). I tried to install DIVDX or whatever to be able to play dvd's but i got an install error. (I DOWNLOADED IT FROM HOMEBREW BROWSER) (currently bootmii gives me the option to "uninstall divdx")

(2.) Copied games wont run from the disc channel, it recognizes them and i hit play and i get an error #002
-----Games run from NeoGamma
- I have neo gamma as a channel from back when and on the bottom it says "Neogamma R9 B47 IOS249 REV 21008"

so how can i make games run from disc channel and is there a new neogamma i need?

I'd recommend you run a USB drive instead of copied games (burned discs load at half-speed).
Even a cheap external drive would be more than large enough to play anything you can rip to your hdd. And if you don't want to pay that much, get an internal-to-external USB case. I've got them as cheap as $8. Everyone has old, extra HDDs around, don't they?

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people dont use ther wii's to play dvd movies and any wii manufactured 2009 and up cant read burnt disc's or retail dvd movies and DVDX died along with HBC v1.0.7 or it was 1.0.8

Funny, I'm watching a DVD on my wii right now. Guess I'm not people.

person66

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Funny, I'm watching a DVD on my wii right now. Guess I'm not people.

I think he meant that most people don't because most people can't. Only those of us with older wiis that still have working disc drives. And even then, most people use an actual DVD or Bluray player, or a console that natively supports playback.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he meant that most people don't because most people can't. Only those of us with older wiis that still have working disc drives. And even then, most people use an actual DVD or Bluray player, or a console that natively supports playback.

Oh of course. The only reason I was even using the wii for it was because my original xbox shorted out a few weeks ago. I have a giant CRT in the bedroom for retro gaming and a HDTV in the living room for current generation gaming, blurays, and whatnot. At the moment the Wii is the only console capable of playing a DVD that is hooked to the CRT.

But, he implied that it's a worthless feature which it definitely is not. A niche feature sure, but there's a use there.

Tystuh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soooo then how can i play DVD's with 1.0.7 or using HackMii???

Im confused how Homebrew Channel can replace DVDx.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Purple_Heart, the one i installed has the voices from the latam dub of the anime