Updating pre-existing softmod?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DMPugh, Sep 14, 2009.

Sep 14, 2009

Updating pre-existing softmod? by DMPugh at 3:08 AM (1,065 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. DMPugh
    OP

Newcomer DMPugh Advanced Member

Canada
    I'll be getting a Wii soon which according to the item's description is "hacked with 3.2U", and it includes Zelda: Twilight Princess so I am assuming the TP method was used to softmod. However, I want to make sure my Wii is absolutely up to date before I start playing games on it (I will almost exclusively just be using the Wii for backups running off an external hard drive; might get into emulation and the like in the future though).

My question is: am I going to have to reverse what was done to the Wii and start fresh, or can it be updated on top of whatever existing mod was performed?

If you can't tell, I'm quite the noob as far as all this goes. I appreciate any information anyone can give me (detailed instructions would be nice too!) Since I don't have the Wii in-hand yet, I can't really give much information on it.

P.S. Is this an alright choice for my external to run the games? http://walmart.ca/Canada-Electronic.jsp?se...839&tabId=1

2. Capn_Makeveli

Newcomer Capn_Makeveli Advanced Member

Canada
    I am using a wii that was softmodded with TPH (twilight princess hack) and it is on 3.2u firmware with starfall (outdated I know). But I am running games fine. You only have to install the needed programs and cIOS in order to get new games to work. DO NOT uninstall any ios's or any other needed files. You can check here for what ones are needed for specific games. I use neogamma 7 for my backups and it works great. You have an abundant choice of USB loaders which all are very awesome if you just want to use a usb hd for it. Congrats on getting a new Wii and welcome to the scene.

3. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    you can use my guide and your wii will be up to date with the latest everything

4. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the replies (and welcome)!

xzxero - I will be checking out your guide for sure. Thanks for the heads-up!

5. DMPugh
    OP

Canada
    Quick question: I am planning on virginizing my Wii as xzxero's guide recommends. Is there anything I need to know before I go through the procedure? I'll likely be asking the person I'm buying the Wii from what he installed, but is there anything specific I need to ask that he installed? I just don't want to brick my Wii throughout this process.