Hacking Updating ofw and cfw

boulderhead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I havent updated my 1st gen switch ofw/cfw since i originally installed atmosphere a good while ago, the switch ofw is currently 8.0.1 and the atmosphere version is 0.8.10. I need to update both but not really sure where to start as most guides seem to be for emuMMC set-ups. Mine's doesnt have an emuMMC set up and I dont really care for it as I dont use it online.

From what i've read so far, i'd replace the atmosphere folder in the sd card, overwriting the older files etc and install ofw using a downloaded ofw and an app to install it but like I said, everything seems to account for emuMMC set ups instead of non emuMMC. I've backed up the sd card and thinking game saves will be safe .. though if i need to back this up .. i'd be welcome to advice for this too

Any help with this would be mightily appreciated.

B

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's quite straight forward, really. You update Atmosphere first. I would delete the old atmosphere and sept folder first, so you don't overwrite, but go with a set of brand new files. After that, you should see in your homebrew something called daybreak. This is what you'll use to update the firmware. As usual, the firmware can be found online (google darth firmware). After updating the firmware, you can also update your sigpatches and even hekate, if needed.

boulderhead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks dust, I've downloaded ofw 12.1.0 and atmosphere 0.20.1 last night in anticipation .. i've never updated sig patches or hekate, the current hekate is 4.6 (the loader used to boot the switch from laptop) but asuming it'll be the same on the switch (?)

I'll do a bit of looking into this before starting but thanks again.

B

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Atmosphere (and hekate) doesn't use Sept folder anymore since AMS v0.20.0
if you want information about the update process itself, I explained the steps to someone else last week here : https://gbatemp.net/posts/9564701
it has some information no other guides are telling (like issues you can encounter after updating, answering about fuses, etc.)

Last edited by Cyan,

boulderhead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok - All done and working ok... yes, i had to update TegraRcm on my laptop to get it to boot into atmosphere. Fusee. It was hekate previously, If i now boot with hekate through tegrarcm it doesnt boot into atmosphere (just the hekate menu) i've the changed hekate_ctaer bin file to 5.6.0 but it still wont boot using the hekate tegra hekate bootloader .. though it doesnt matter as it boots ok through the fusee payload.

The games wouldnt load, also reported corrupted data so I copied 2 folders (exefs_patches and kip_patches) into the atmosphere folder and all games were working again, a couple of them still asked to check for corrupted data, i ran the check and in both cases no corrupt data was found and both games ran fine afterwards. I've tried a few others randomly and all is well it seems.

There's still old files on the sd relating to the old atmosphere install - the bootloader folder still has an old hekate_ipl.ini file and the payloads subdirectory had an older version of fuse-primary, I have changed this to the most recent version. But there are 2 'payloads' folders and it's bugging me .. one of them is in the root directory and contains the new hekate_ctcaer 5.6.0 and an old untouched biskeydump file. The other payloads folder is in the bootloader directory and contains the new fusee-primary file.

Can i delete one of these folders? Im not sure what's going on with them to be honest but it's not a big deal as all is working like i said, just a nagging pain .. i like to keep things tidy and structured!

And thanks Cyan and KalIrkyle, I noticed the sept folder wasnt included with the newer atmosphere set up but assumed it had been made redundant. And yes, I had to change to newer bootloader version .. though it's fusee instead of hekate now .. for the reasons stated but hugely appreciate the advice too.

Muchas Gracias guys.

B

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok - All done and working ok... yes, i had to update TegraRcm on my laptop to get it to boot into atmosphere. Fusee. It was hekate previously, If i now boot with hekate through tegrarcm it doesnt boot into atmosphere (just the hekate menu) i've the changed hekate_ctaer bin file to 5.6.0 but it still wont boot using the hekate tegra hekate bootloader .. though it doesnt matter as it boots ok through the fusee payload.

The games wouldnt load, also reported corrupted data so I copied 2 folders (exefs_patches and kip_patches) into the atmosphere folder and all games were working again, a couple of them still asked to check for corrupted data, i ran the check and in both cases no corrupt data was found and both games ran fine afterwards. I've tried a few others randomly and all is well it seems.

There's still old files on the sd relating to the old atmosphere install - the bootloader folder still has an old hekate_ipl.ini file and the payloads subdirectory had an older version of fuse-primary, I have changed this to the most recent version. But there are 2 'payloads' folders and it's bugging me .. one of them is in the root directory and contains the new hekate_ctcaer 5.6.0 and an old untouched biskeydump file. The other payloads folder is in the bootloader directory and contains the new fusee-primary file.

Can i delete one of these folders? Im not sure what's going on with them to be honest but it's not a big deal as all is working like i said, just a nagging pain .. i like to keep things tidy and structured!

And thanks Cyan and KalIrkyle, I noticed the sept folder wasnt included with the newer atmosphere set up but assumed it had been made redundant. And yes, I had to change to newer bootloader version .. though it's fusee instead of hekate now .. for the reasons stated but hugely appreciate the advice too.

Muchas Gracias guys.

B
There is no reason for a payloads folder to be on the root of your SD card.

Xobi82

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan

Muchas Gracias guys.

B
Hello,

Can you please help me out. How are you booting through fusee. I downloaded the latest one and it's giving me all sorts of errors.

Many games aren't loading or are being called corrupted. Where did you get these files from?

Kallrkyle

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hello,

Can you please help me out. How are you booting through fusee. I downloaded the latest one and it's giving me all sorts of errors.

Many games aren't loading or are being called corrupted. Where did you get these files from?
Have you remembert to update the sigpatches also ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE