Hacking Updating my wiikey Wii from 3.2E to current firmware?

Retrovertigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm figuring it is time I updated anything on my Wii ready for the game arriving this week. I have the original ordered and I have just read it is a D/L disc.

In the past hasn't wiikey interfered with D/L discs? Memory is fuzzy on that one. I can't recall all the IOS I have installed, but the last game I played successfully was Donkey Kong Returns (I simply brickblocked it and it boots from the dash)

I'm just not sure where to start with getting up to date with the dash and making sure I keep the homebrew channel etc. Or maybe I should keep it how it is and wiikey will boot dual layers just fine? But if I recall didn't it mess up Super Smash Bros? Appreciate any pointers as where I should be headed with this. Thanks

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend you use ModMii to install/update all of your IOS files and install system menu 4.1 (the latest version that offers anything useful and isn't just for preventing homebrew). Just tell the ModMii Wizard that you are on a low firmware (O-Other lower than 2.2) and select to update to 4.1 (recommended). As for your Wiikey, if you are still playing disc backups, I recommend you update your Wiikey to the latest version (1.99 beta) if you have not done so already.

Edit: I assumed that you are using Wiikey v1.

Retrovertigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah using Wiikey v1 (which I do indeed have on 1.99 beta). Thanks for the quick reply. Like others I'm having the issue of AVG picking up Modmii as a trojan (the two files others have mentioned, despite having read here that the latest update to Modmii only has 1 potential file to be wrongly flagged)

It is a bit of a pain because AVG keeps randomly popping up warning messages. Tempted to dump it and switch to MSE but I do like the extra features AVG has. But I'm going wildly off topic here
smile.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't need to update, but I won't force you to stay on 3.2.

Just so you know, you can launch original game from Wii Disc Channel by bypassing the update partition checking by using either :
- Preloader : Not recommended
- A backup loader or original game launcher : You can run original game disc within USBloaders, you just won't see the channel animation (GeckoOS, riivolution, USBloaderGX, etc)
- Marcan's Wii Menu Loader edit: sorry, it doesn't patch the update partition checking.

About the Double layered disc, the Wiikey interfered only with Original double layer games (burned copy worked fine). The wiikey team then released the Firmware v1.9s (for SSBB fix).
And later the 1.99 which you have so you won't have any problem regarding Retail Double layer disc issue. (But I don't remember is this firmware fix Error #002b)

Though, if you have a Wiikey1, you have certainly an old Wii, I really hope that your Wii disc drive is correctly calibrated, or you would have tried to updated your console for nothing.
My Wii can't read Double layered game discs (retail or burned). I tried with SSBB, it never worked.
I ordered Xenoblade too, but now I won't be able to play it, not even dump it to HDD
frown.gif

Retrovertigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting stuff! appreciate both of you replying. I haven't had the time to update my Wii yet (it isn't connected to the TV at the moment)

I'm sure my DVD drive is still calibrated ok. I have barely used it since I bought it at launch. I'm going to wait until the game arrives and see from there what will be best.

edit: and sorry you won't be able to play Xenoblade
frown.gif
that sucks

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
My Wii can't read Double layered game discs (retail or burned). I tried with SSBB, it never worked.
I ordered Xenoblade too, but now I won't be able to play it, not even dump it to HDD
frown.gif
This is quite common with old Wii's. Just use a Lens Cleaning Kit and that should fix it.

@Retrovertigo: Check your inbox.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over