Updating my R4i gold 3DS? (Is it safe? One Piece game compatability?)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by thewonderer, Jul 13, 2014.

1. thewonderer
    OP

thewonderer Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    Hello all, I looked through the FAQ and am unsure of some things so please help me if you can.

I didn't see any mention of filmware 4.0B1 on any FAQ. On http://www.r4ids.cn/r4i-download-e.htm it is the latest filmware. Also, on that website, I am not seeing any download for filmware 3.3 which according to this http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/R4i_Gold_3DS_Deluxe, is safe to update to without bricking.

Is filmware 4.0B1 known to cause bricking? Is it safe to update to?

I don't believe I've ever updated my 3DS card since I've gotten it so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am yearning to play the new One Piece Red Unlimited World game (USA). I checked the incompatibility thread and it wasn't there. Can anyone verify if it is indeed compatible and whether I actually do need to update to play it?

Thank you!

2. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    You don't need to update to play it. The latest firmware seems based on MT-card, so no reported bricks.

3. thewonderer
    OP

thewonderer Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    Cool, thank you so much Abcdfv!

4. BestR4i3DS.com

BestR4i3DS.com GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2014
    United States
    Maybe the V4.0B2 firmware will release soon, which support multi-roms,
    wait and update then

5. SaggyBeans

SaggyBeans GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    Canada
    I would upgrade to V4.0B1 before trying V4.0B2.. in fact I would wait a while before trying V4.0B2. R4i is known for copying gateways firmware and they are known for including brick code. At least with V4.0B1 its been tested now with no brick reports. V4.0B2 does include emunand and multi-rom but personally I would hold off for a week or so.

6. thewonderer
    OP

thewonderer Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    So I tried playing the game (I did not update to any filmware) and I get an error saying the game card was removed (black screen right as I click the game icon). Any ideas on what the problem is?

EDIT: I updated and all problems solved.