Updating my K1 Tablet to Marshmallow?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by the_randomizer, Oct 7, 2016.

1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I'm wondering about this, and I'm still on the fence; in the mean time I've been using max processor power to keep things running full speed on 5.1.1, however, it's not 100% ideal as the battery drains a lot faster. With all the talk about how wonderful the Vulkan API is on Marshmallow (and Google being stingy idiots about refusing to back-porting it to Android Lollipop), I'm left wondering whether or not I should OTA update the tablet to 6.0.1. However, I have heard horror stories about tablet bricking, losing all installed apps and other data (even on the external SD card), controllers like the MOGA Pro not working, etc. So this begs the question, is it really worth considering updating to Marshmallow? I want the best performance I can get in RetroArch without having to use max performance and get the best battery life I can, you know? If I choose to update via OTA, will going from 5.1.1 to 6.0.1 completely erase all app data, even on the SD card? I want to experience RA as it's meant to be on a K1 tablet, full speed, low latency and no having to use threaded video.

Just for the record, I've been using max performance as some programs like RetroArch have audio crackling for one reason or another; after reading posts by the RA dev team, the Vulkan API performs much better, but is stupidly limited to 6.0+

Thanks ^_^