Updating my iPhone 3G firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by onibaku, Jan 26, 2011.

Jan 26, 2011
  1. onibaku
    OP

Newcomer onibaku Member

Sweden
    Ok so I am completely new to this stuff, I've had an iPhone quite a while but I got it jailbroken so I never really wanted to tamper around with it but, I've had the 3G since launch so the firmware is pretty outdated. It's jailbroken but how on earth do I update it and keep it jailbroken and unlocked? It's been running really slow lately and hopefully this update will fix it! I don't really care if I lose my data, but just wondering if I'll be able to at least keep my contacts and photos?

I did see the tutorials but they just confused me even more, tons of different ones and just saw many things that were confusing, please any help would be appreciated!

2. metamaster

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    You have a 3G iPhone, which means that starting with 4.0, your device will be less and less supported. It will not speed up if you update.
    If you still want to update, you can't do so while preserving the jailbreak itself, you have to rejailbreak on the newer firmware. Good news is, your device is pwned for life, so you can jailbreak on any firmware (with custom boot logos).
    You first need to upgrade, I think that you need to do so with Tiny Umbrella if you want to preserve your baseband in order to unlock later.. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). After that, you just jailbreak it with redsn0w. You can put custom boot logos, and you can turn your device on and off without any concern (it's an untethered jailbreak for you)

3. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    If you keep it synched with iTunes, you won't lose anything.

According to Wikipedia, you can update to the latest firmware available for the iPhone 3G (4.2.1) and jailbreak it with redsn0w 0.9.6rc8.

4. onibaku
    OP

Newcomer onibaku Member

Sweden
    awesome sweet, that's all I needed, thanks guys [​IMG]

5. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I don't mean to scare you, but the iPhone 3G unlock method for iOS 4.1 and later performs a (currently) irreversible modification that Apple can detect should the phone need servicing.

If you can, I'd use a custom IPSW from sn0wbreeze to update to iOS 4.1, without updating the baseband. (iOS 4.1 and 4.2.1 aren't that much different for the iPhone 3G.)

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I'd highly suggest against installing iOS 4.x on your 3G. Performance will drop, guaranteed. You would probably be best updating to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 instead. Yes you'll still be a bit outdated, especially as more apps come out that are only for iOS 4 and above, but it's not worth it. My friend accidentally shattered his 3G in anger at the slowness of iOS 4, hehe.

It would be helpful if you told us what version you were currently running. This info can be found in the Settings.

7. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Since your device is a 3G and therefore doesn't need SHSH blobs to have firmware installed for any 3.x revisions I'd suggest downloading and installing that software then jailbreaking to allow the use of Homescreen wallpapers and some optional backgrounding. There are also 3.1.3 folder options. THis should hopefully not slow your device down too much like the 4.x updates apparently do

8. onibaku
    OP

Newcomer onibaku Member

Sweden
    ok thanks guys, i think im gonna go with updating with a custom 4.1 in case i decide to downgrade sometime, i dont know why Apple would make a firmware for the 3G that doesn't run well and also so that you can't downgrade, Apple could be really great if they allowed some very simple things! I love using their products but setting it up is a real hassle

EDIT: btw the version I had before was 3.0