Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I have an iPod Touch 4g which is running iOS 4.2.1
Some Apps do not support anything under 4.3.
I would like to know if there is a method to updating to any 4.3 iOS while keeping all my data.
I heard redsn0w is a good option, but I fear It may require a tethered boot, which is not preferable.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
iOS 4.3 through 4.3.3 have an untethered jailbreak, thanks to Saffron. But in order to update to those firmwares, you need the SHSHs for those firmwares. (i.e.- If you want to use iOS 4.3.2, you need SHSHs for iOS 4.3.2.) If you never had them saved, you're out of luck.

You can update and rejailbreak via Saffron, but you may lose some parts of the jailbreak (e.g.- SBSettings). (Personally, I don't like updating a jailbroken device; I prefer to restore.) You must download the IPSW you want. Then, in iTunes, click on your device. Option-click (Mac) or Shift-click (Windows) the "Update" button.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Want to do the same for GTA3, it won't run on 4.2.1 :( unless someone knows bettter :)

I have the blobs, but i don't particually want to itunes restore/upgrade to 4.3.3, would rather flash jailbroken 4.3.3 straight over the top of my 4.2.1 and keep all my settings and hacks and apps etc.. if it's possible

3l3tric

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I don't think that's possible. Might be possible w/ snowbreeze, but I don't think there's any type of software that can restore without erasing everything.

My advice would be sync apps, make a list of all your packages, do it, redownload, and resync apps. I think that's the only way, IDK. You may want to get someone elses opinion.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
a. 1st. Did you always started "Tinyumbrella" when Apple released a new firmware?
b. 1st. Find iOS 4.3.x ipsw

a. 2nd. If you did, you should have 4.3.x blobs for your iPod touch 4 (go further to 3th)
b. 2nd If you didn't, You are out of luck, no upgrade to 4.3.x for you, only 5.0.1 is an option (go further to 10th)

3th. You are lucky, you have all your blobs for all iOS FW from Apple
4th. Start TinyUmbrella and start TSS server
5th. Start iTunes
6th. Press the "shift" key while pressing update (or so) and browse to your iOS 4.3.x ipsw
7th. Follow on screen instructions
8th. Jailbreak

10th. Be sure to backup your iOS 4.2.x shsh blobs before upgrading to iOS 5.0.x
11th. Upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 (Do so before iOS 5.0.2 or 5.1 is out, Apple is now still signing these new shsh blobs)
12th. You can do a Tethered Jailbreak on iOS 5.0.x now, UnTethered will be out soon i heard
13th Backup your SHSH Blobs for iOS 5.0.1 with latest redsn0w or with iFaith from ih8sn0w

With iOS 5.0.2 and iOS 5.1 release imminent, it remains to be seen if pod2G will release the untethered jailbreak soon or wait for Apple to release the iOS software updates.

If iOS 5.0.2/5.1 is released and his untethered jb still works, then you better wait for iOS 5.0.2 or 5.1, if his JB doesn't work, you better be sure to have the correct new SHSH Blobs for iOS 5.0.1 to do a untethered jb (or be able to upgrade/downgrade to 5.0.1)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I don't think it's possible to restore to upgrade directly to a jailbroken state, or at least it's not something I've ever done. You could just restore from a backup when you upgrade to 4.3.3 using the TinySS server and your SHSH blob, although typically it's generally better to start off fresh. It's your choice there. If you restore from backup then I suspect you'd still have all your old data copied back on for official apps.

Definitely go into Cydia, go to Manage - Packages, and write down the names of anything you want to remember to redownload. Use that list after you upgrade and rejailbreak to get back to where you are currently. I hear "PkgBackup" can automate this process, but it costs money and I've never used it myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse