Updating hdd / transferring wbfs formatted files not working

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Dravial, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Dravial
    OP

Newcomer Dravial Member

United States
    I started this question under the WBM post, but I am unsure if: 1) That post is no longer monitored, 2) No one has an answer or 3) the post is in the wrong sub-forum, so I am re-posting the info here in an attempt to get an answer. If I do not get one here, I will assume it to be 'unanswerable'...

"I am having a problem while using WBM, and I am hoping it is something simple. I am upgrading my HDD, and in the hopes of not having to reload off of every disc, I tried simply using WBM to transfer the games from my old WBFS partition (Which I mount on Drive 1) to the new one I made (using the format function in WBM, and mounted to drive 2). I entered 'select all', then 'transfer to drive 2'. A couple hours later I come back, and it looks as though everything went smoothly, however I notice all the games on the new drive are now slightly larger in size (ie: Drive 1 Game 'sdf' @ 1.92 GB on Drive 2 Game 'sdf' is @ 1.96 GB). The md5 hashes are all the same, and none of the games moved to the new drive will play, they freeze up while trying to load. I am using version 0.3.7 build 58 on a Windows XP machine, and I have never had any problems with WBM before (I have also never transferred drive to drive before either)."

And the following day: "I wanted to update this, and still hope I can get an answer (if any one knows...). I dl'ed the most up to date version of WBM, and tried with it in the same fashion I described above and received the same result. Then I went ahead and tried doing just one game by itself, in case moving a lot at once was causing the issue. I reformatted the drive just to be sure, and moving just a single game from wbfs to wbfs also produced the same result, game was larger and would not load. Next I reformatted the second drive to NTFS (32KB cluster size) and attempted another move, of a single game. The game moved over, was actually now smaller in size, and loads when I connect it to the wii. I will try doing a few more and check back to see if anyone can tell me why it will not transfer from wbfs format to wbfs format but will transfer from wbfs to ntfs..."

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.

2. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I don't know why you are having problems transfering the files but wbfs formatted drives are outdated. I'd suggect you go with fat32 or ntfs.

3. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    Sounds like a bug in WBM.
    But since afaik the author has disappeared it probably wont get fixed.

Iirc formatting to partitions to WBFS in WBM requires you to manually select the drives sector size.
    Maybe you chose the wrong one for your drive (explaining the not working).
    WBFS partitions with different sector sizes (whether right or wrong) explain the different game sizes yet matching checksums too.

But since WBFS partitions are deprecated and you got it working anyway I don't see where you want this thread to go.

edit:
    Differently sized WBFS partitions can also cause a difference in game size.

4. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    I just recently did what you did .... I used wbfs manager to tranfer files from one drive to another . 232 games took almost an entire day. both drives are wbfs , as for the file size change , I'm not sure why , but I see what your talking about

5. Dravial
    OP

Newcomer Dravial Member

United States
    To Ryoku83: That is what I am doing now...

To air2004: Did your games work after you transferred them even though they changed in size?

To PsyBlade: Both were formatted using the default sector size in WBM (trying to use any other setting will give you a warning that the wii does not support it and are you sure you want to do that) I believe the one that says "512 bytes (500 discs)". Also, I did get it working, but not as a wbfs drive; I had to make the new drive ntfs, and I transferred everything from wbfs to ntfs successfully.
    I guess I don't really want this to go anywhere, since there is no interest or apparently a way to rectify anyway. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing, as I find it hard to believe that I would be the first person to report this problem (has no one else tried to move files from one hdd to another in this manner?). It is a little comforting I suppose to see that someone using a different program had the same results, and maybe there are other reports for this, I just didn't use the right search parameters?

EDIT: To PsyBlade - Do you mean that if the actual partitions (first and second) are different sizes from each other (say 500GB versus 1TB) then moving data from one to the other can cause it to be a different size? At first I thought you meant the cluster size, then I re-read... Why would that be? And are you saying that if I make the second partition match the size of the first and then try to move the files they should be ok - but only if they match exactly? This seems very odd.

6. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    WBFS partitions offer no advantages over FAT32 or NTFS partitions, but have numerous drawbacks.
    They simply don't see much use these days.
    It may very well be that you are the first one trying this with this version of WBM.

About the size difference:
    Yes

WBFS splits the drive into chunks of space called blocks. It tries to keep the number of them somewhat constant. Thus their size varies with the size of the partition.
    Each Block can only be used by one game at a time. With larger blocks more blocks more space is wasted. Space can be wasted at the end of the game and the edges of the scrubbed areas.

Other FS exhibit this too but to a much lesser extend since their blocks(aka clusters) are smaller by three orders of magnitude. Plus the size displayed normally does not include the wasted space.

Matching the partition size or not, should not make a difference. Unless there is a bug.

7. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you ..... the only game I seem to be have a problem with so far is 10 pin alley2 .....but it seems I have a problem with that game on both drives , what happens after loading is , the game goes to a black screen