Updating gateway emunand to specific firmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mikeylevi, Apr 27, 2015.

1. mikeylevi
    OP

mikeylevi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    United States
    I should be getting my gateway in the mail pretty soon here, and I'll be using it on a 4.2 sysnand o3ds. I know I won't be able to just format emunand and update since gateway doesnt support emunand past 9.4.

My question is, would there be a way to update the emunand to 9.4 when I get my gateway?

2. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 30, 2014
    United States
    The easiest way is to use a rom with the desired firmware version.

For a US console you can use either Code Name Steam or Xenoblade to get to 9.4U (but you can't play Xenoblade on the O3DS).

1. Be SURE you have formatted emunand in the gateway launcher. If you attempt to update sysnand with a rom you will brick.
    2. Place the rom with your desired firmware version on your gateway micro sd.
    3. Without the red card in your 3DS, run the exploit to open the gateway menu.
    4. Insert the gateway red card. Hold DPAD UP and select the 'boot emunand' option.
    5. Use the select menu to choose the rom with the desired firmware.
    6. Click on the rom, it will prompt to update.

3. RitchieRitchie

RitchieRitchie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 15, 2013
    sorry to butt in but why do you have to hold up on the dpad - wouldn't it boot in emunand automatically if you have it?

I need to do this myself so any info is appreciated!

4. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 30, 2014
    United States

Gateway emunand has checks to prevent accidental updates and spoof firmware so that they're not required for small revisions (e.g. 9.4 games work on 9.2 emunand).

Holding DPAD UP turns off these checks, allowing you to update emunand.

To get to the gateway menu instead of automatically booting emunand you can either take out the red card or hold L while running the exploit.

RitchieRitchie likes this.
  5. RitchieRitchie

RitchieRitchie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 15, 2013
    Ahh, I see! Thanks for the help!

6. rotebrotobias

rotebrotobias GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 31, 2015
    You can also update by downloading all .cia files for the update with 3DNUS and update with Devmenu

7. Omer

Omer GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    I have an Australian new 3DS and a japanese new 3ds , what roms should I have to update emunand to 9.4 on both?

8. iQue

iQue GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2013
    Xenoblade Chronicles has 9.4, there are 3-4 other titles which you can also use?? - http://3ds.essh.co/