Updating from 3.1.3 to 4.1...

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by KingPockets, Dec 25, 2010.

1. KingPockets
    OP

KingPockets Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2010
    United States
    I have a Ipod touch 3G jailbroken with 3.1.3 firmware installed and I'm thinking about upgrading it to 4.1 firmware. I do have SHSH blobs for 4.1, and 4.2.1. I don't have SHSH blobs for 3.1.3 so I won't be able to downgrade it back I think. However, I have heard that the 4.1 firmware has battery issues though it can be jailbroken untethered. Therefore, I have two questions.

1) Is there anyway to solve the battery issues in 4.1?
    2) Is the update worth it?

Thanks for your help [​IMG]

2. metamaster

metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    When you say iPod touch 3g, do you mean MC or MB model? You can check in Settings - General - About.

3. KingPockets
    OP

KingPockets Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2010
    United States
    It's a MC model. Ipod touch 3G 32GB.

4. Dialexio

Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Since it's an iPod touch 3G, I'd update it to 4.1. You'll have multitasking, Folders, and custom backgrounds enabled and working smoothly.

[speculation]
    Regarding battery life... The battery drain might be iOS 4.1 looking for a Wi-Fi network all the time (or keeping a Wi-Fi connection). I am unsure if this is the culprit, but you could try turning on Airplane Mode whenever you're not using Wi-Fi.
    [/speculation]

iPod touch 3G devices only had "MC" model numbers; it was the iPod touch 2G that had "MB" and "MC" model numbers. [​IMG]

5. metamaster

metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    ^ Oh lol. I'm so used to asking that I forgot about that [​IMG]

I also recommend updating. I have the same iPod as you on 4.1, it runs perfectly and without any lag whatsoever (with a bunch of Cydia tweaks on top of that)

6. KingPockets
    OP

KingPockets Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2010
    United States
    Ok thanks [​IMG]